PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Muffler for X2

obsessed
10-31-2011, 06:28 AM
Hi, Ive just bought a 2008 X2 with an 350 MCX saltwater series, its second hand. The boat is great, however it is the loudest boat Ive ever heard! I heard a maristar at the Marina, and it sounded similar, but not as loud still.
This isnt an issue with the boat is it?
I know that Mastercraft has a exhaust silencer that can be installed as an option, and that my boat does not have it. I would like to get one and I can install it myself. Can anyone please point me in the right direction to where I can purhcase such an exhaust muffler/silencer and what would be the correct one that would fit?

Thanks.

davidstan
10-31-2011, 07:31 AM
Our x2's did not get the chrome tips therefore we are a little louder unless you have the silent master system. The chrome tips were having issues so they sans the tips mid year is what I heard. With a search you can learn a lot more on this issue.

obsessed
11-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Thanks, I eventually found some threads discussing the same issue, glad its not just me having the problem.
Im thinking about purchasing a pair of either of these
http://www.knbsupply.com/sstinline.html
or
http://www.waterskis.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=exhaust&Search.x=0&Search.y=0
or
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=silencers-inline-insert

Or am considering a Fresh Air Exhaust.
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

Can anyone point me at something better to purchase? Or have any experience with the above parts.

Ole Miss Rebels
11-02-2011, 11:51 AM
my 2008 (november 2007 build date) sxtar with L18 had straight exhausts with "internals". the internals were a cheese-grater looking metal-slotted cylinder that was mounted at the transome just inside the boat. that set-up was loud beyond words. everyone was complaining so right after my boat was built MC introduced the "silent master muffler option" for a fee, about $350 if added at the time of build. however to add it afterwards was expensive as the labor was high due to installation space limitations. MC was good to me and sent me some mufflers complimetarily but i had to pay to have them put on. installation included not only addding the two "in-line" mufflers but also changing out the tips with internals to tips with no internals. MC sent me the tips too but again i had to have a fiberglass shop do the tip removal/installation as there was a risk of gelcoat damage removing the original tips which were sealed on with 5200 marine sealant (like liquid steel). anyway, i made the change and it is much quieter but still loud. my engine is going to be louder than an mcx though due to it just being larger. another bit of information is that the old muffler system used to have one big long horizontally mounted muffler (that blocked the impellor housing-bad thing) that single muffler system was fairly quiet the dual mufflers are not as quiet but not nearly as noisey as a boat with no mufflers at all. for what it is worth, there is a new design out on the dual "in-line" mufflers. they now have a different shape and baffling system that is quieter than the original "in-line" mufflers. i know because i have had both. the original "in-line" mufflers had their baffles blow out and when i bought new ones to replace them i got the newer style and they are a little quieter still. good luck.

Ole Miss Rebels
11-02-2011, 11:54 AM
where are you in the middle east? just curious.

swatguy
11-02-2011, 11:58 AM
I have an FAE on my boat. Had one on on my previous one as well. By far one of the things I will continue to purchase for future boats. You can easily have conversations in the boat at any speed. It quiets it down so much. Worth every penny if u ask me. Helps hear the tunes better at 80ft as well as u get barely any exhaust noise back there

obsessed
11-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Why didnt you ever try an FAE?
Im in Bahrain. Im getting the boat second hand from Dubai. Transporting it here next week then will get to work on this. Ive already ridden the boat and its too loud for my liking.

davidstan
11-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I also would like to know more about the FAE option as well as anything under 750.00 that would quiet the boat a few dbs. I like a little noise back there but my only real complaint w/ this MC is the teeny bopper sounding exhaust note.

davidstan
11-02-2011, 03:54 PM
The FAE wont work for me with a wake plate back there. The MC option is 850.00 not installed for the 4 parts needed and it is the silent master system for the x2. Does not block the impeller according to Lex at Rambo Marine.

Ole Miss Rebels
11-02-2011, 04:56 PM
The FAE wont work for me with a wake plate back there. The MC option is 850.00 not installed for the 4 parts needed and it is the silent master system for the x2. Does not block the impeller according to Lex at Rambo Marine.

i would suspect that is going to be the two new-styled in-line mufflers and straight tips (if your boat has the tips with internals). you are gonna need some new exhaust hose, 4" and 3.5" i think. it will quieten it down some (takes the high end of the sound frequency out of it) but if it is like my boat it is gonna still be plenty loud. the original system that blocked the impellor was troublesome to deal with but significantly quieter. you are gonna spend $850 for parts and then have to buy expensive hose and still pay someone? that is expensive for marginal benefit but i did it too though MC comped me the parts.

davidstan
11-02-2011, 06:32 PM
i would suspect that is going to be the two new-styled in-line mufflers and straight tips (if your boat has the tips with internals). you are gonna need some new exhaust hose, 4" and 3.5" i think. it will quieten it down some (takes the high end of the sound frequency out of it) but if it is like my boat it is gonna still be plenty loud. the original system that blocked the impellor was troublesome to deal with but significantly quieter. you are gonna spend $850 for parts and then have to buy expensive hose and still pay someone? that is expensive for marginal benefit but i did it too though MC comped me the parts.

Nice dealer. I bought from a dealer but it was a brokered boat, I wonder if MC comped the parts or did the dealer? The factory probably heard a lot about this so guess it doesn't hurt to ask. How old was your boat when they gave you the parts? Thx

obsessed
11-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Is there anything special about what Mastercraft dealer sells? 850 seems excessive.
What about a pair of these? Wouldnt they do the same job?
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=289-3120

Ive seen pics of the FAE installed on boats with wakeplate, some posts on this forum have suggested the FAE makes it quieter than anything else tried. But im not sure about it still.

davidstan
11-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Is there anything special about what Mastercraft dealer sells? 850 seems excessive.

Ive seen pics of the FAE installed on boats with wakeplate, some posts on this forum have suggested the FAE makes it quieter than anything else tried. But im not sure about it still.
This is the route I would like to go, really don't want to replace my flaps on the exterior. Any one tried this?

swatguy
11-02-2011, 09:25 PM
The FAE works with wakeplates FWIW. Most other mfg's have had them for while and FAE works for their models as well.

Ole Miss Rebels
11-03-2011, 12:57 PM
the boat was still just months old when MC comped me the parts. i had to pay the labor for the install and that alone was several hundreds of dollars plus the hassel of trailering the boat 360 miles to the fiberglass shop and back for the install. the boat was supposed to have come with the parts as per the build specs but MC changed their design mid-production.

davidstan
11-03-2011, 01:06 PM
the boat was still just months old when MC comped me the parts. i had to pay the labor for the install and that alone was several hundreds of dollars plus the hassel of trailering the boat 360 miles to the fiberglass shop and back for the install. the boat was supposed to have come with the parts as per the build specs but MC changed their design mid-production.

Interesting, did you have flaps or chrome tips originally? My boat is loud but not like I popped the headers or anything. What were the parts exactly they gave you? Was it 2 vertical mufflers for inside and 2 tips in the back?

davidstan
11-05-2011, 08:50 AM

Bump for any feedback on the above muffler option?

Ole Miss Rebels
11-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Interesting, did you have flaps or chrome tips originally? My boat is loud but not like I popped the headers or anything. What were the parts exactly they gave you? Was it 2 vertical mufflers for inside and 2 tips in the back?

correct. they sent me two in-line mufflers and two new straight-through tips without the internals. the boat originally had rubber flaps. i screwed the rubber flaps back on the same as the original set-up.

davidstan
11-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Bump for any feedback on the above muffler option?

Originally Posted by obsessed

obsessed
11-13-2011, 01:56 AM
bump

Can anyone tell us what comes in the silentmaster kit? And whats different about it?

obsessed
12-07-2011, 06:13 AM
small update

Ive ordered a pair of these
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=silencers-inline-insert

They are cheap enough to try, im worried about them being steel as Im out in salt water. But if they help with the sound, I will change them to something else down the line if these every go bad. I will report back with how they work out.

Also my boat is being serviced at the moment, and the boat is new to me anyway and Ive only been on it once, I just remember that it was very loud, but will be working off memory to compare the effect of these mufflers. Hopefully it will be noticeable.