PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing 1980

tex599
10-31-2011, 12:03 AM
I have a 1980 with the 351, I see the drain for the trans cooler, are there plugs on the block as well. Any other things I need to do to winterize?
Thanks

thatsmrmastercraft
10-31-2011, 12:21 AM
There are plugs on either side of the block. Look under the exhaust manifolds.

psychobilly
10-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Being that it's an '80, make sure you have about 6" of coat hanger wire with you, totally remove the drains from the block, and use the coat hanger wire to clear the rust out of the hole as the water drains.

tex599
10-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks, the previous owner mentioned that he would just pour anti-freeze down one of the hoses, do I need to do that and if so which hose?

east tx skier
10-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Here's what I do.

Winterize (www.tylerskiclub.com/winterization.html)

Dewinterize (www.tylerskiclub.com/dewinterization.html)

tex599
10-31-2011, 02:10 PM
I could not find any plugs on the block, does anyone have a picture of what they look like? I did find a plug at the rear of the risers, that I removed with a 1/2 drive and water came out. But I know there is water in the block and need to get it out. Thanks

east tx skier
10-31-2011, 04:01 PM
This is an indmar diagram, but it is the same. There should also be a plug under your "j-tube."

TNPIG
11-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Check out this thread for pictures of the drain plugs on left and right side of engine. There will also be plugs on the back of each exhaust manifold and the j tube on the front of the engine. Five total. The owners manual shows to disconnect the hose going from the water pump the the thermostat housing, hold it up, place a funnel in it and pour in the antifreeze that way. This alleviates the need to get the engine up to operating temperature. I'm new at all this myself, so hopefully I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=39801&highlight=newbie+questions

mikeg205
11-01-2011, 08:09 PM
This is an indmar diagram, but it is the same. There should also be a plug under your "j-tube."

east tx your TT title should be MC Phd.

east tx skier
11-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I'd love to put that on my wall, but that's just a page from the MC owners manual from 93. Close enough for the PCM plug locations (plus the one under the j-tube though).

TNPIG
11-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Here's what I do.

Winterize (www.tylerskiclub.com/winterization.html)

Dewinterize (www.tylerskiclub.com/dewinterization.html)

I got a 84 S&S. On number 4 of the winterizing checklist, do you just spray the fogging oil in to the front two barrels of the carb while the engine is running? I'm trying to visualize what it looks like with the flame arrestor off. I will be at the lake this weekend and plan on going through this checklist. Says to spray the fogging oil in until it smokes, or engine dies. What exactly is "it"? Thanks for helping a newb out!

thatsmrmastercraft
11-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I got a 84 S&S. On number 4 of the winterizing checklist, do you just spray the fogging oil in to the front two barrels of the carb while the engine is running? I'm trying to visualize what it looks like with the flame arrestor off. I will be at the lake this weekend and plan on going through this checklist. Says to spray the fogging oil in until it smokes, or engine dies. What exactly is "it"? Thanks for helping a newb out!

You are correct, sir.

Of course the choke will be wide open.:rolleyes:

TRBenj
11-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Says to spray the fogging oil in until it smokes, or engine dies. What exactly is "it"? Thanks for helping a newb out!
"It" = engine (exhaust). I have found that fogging oil doesnt really smoke much, if at all. Engine oil or ATF poured down the carb throat sure does though.

east tx skier
11-10-2011, 07:34 PM
I probably meant carb or throttle body. Front doesn't sound right. I thought it was the back barrels, but I haven't looked at one in a while. I always got a little smoke. Marvel Mystery Oil also smokes pretty well. But if it doesn't smoke, I doubt it makes much of a difference. I could rarely kill it with the spray, but Marvel sure could.