PDA

View Full Version : HD Camcorder advice

airdrew99
10-29-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm looking at getting an HD camcorder. My wife and I have a 3 year old son and we are wanting to upgrade from our old, bulky low definition camcorder. Can anyone recommend a one for under $300? We are just wanting to shoot home videos of our son growing up and his future siblings. Also, how much memory will do how many minutes of video? Thanks for any input.

Drew

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Go pro, I have no experience with one yet but i will be getting one of these in the near future, around that price range

http://gopro.com/

east tx skier
10-29-2011, 02:24 PM
We have a JVC that records to two SD cards. It has been great and so has the quality. Prepare to buy a good editing software that can handle HD, like Pinnacle.

BrianM
10-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Prepare to buy a good editing software that can handle HD, like Pinnacle.

Ditto. And a faster machine to do the editing work.. Ask me how I know.

We have a Kodak Zi8 and love it. Great super small camera that takes amazing video. The camera is a couple of years old now so can be had at great prices but still performs really well. Bought it when our little one was born. My wife has it in her pocket all the time.

east tx skier
10-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Ditto. And a faster machine to do the editing work.. Ask me how I know.

We have a Kodak Zi8 and love it. Great super small camera that takes amazing video. The camera is a couple of years old now so can be had at great prices but still performs really well. Bought it when our little one was born. My wife has it in her pocket all the time.

We have one of these as well and it's a very good little camera. Although it seems that 1080 is pretty worthless unless it's completely still. 720 @ 60 fps is very good though.

BrianM
10-30-2011, 04:43 PM
We have one of these as well and it's a very good little camera. Although it seems that 1080 is pretty worthless unless it's completely still. 720 @ 60 fps is very good though.

Yep. 720 @ 60 fps is the best way to use the camera. When I initially bought it all of the reviews said the same thing. I haven't looked much since that time but the 60fps feature was one thing the Zi8 had going for it over most of the others which did not have the option of a higher frame rate. We use ours exclusively in the 720 60fps mode and it looks better than most of the other HD cameras I have seen that use 1080.

curtish
10-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Yep. 720 @ 60 fps is the best way to use the camera. When I initially bought it all of the reviews said the same thing. I haven't looked much since that time but the 60fps feature was one thing the Zi8 had going for it over most of the others which did not have the option of a higher frame rate. We use ours exclusively in the 720 60fps mode and it looks better than most of the other HD cameras I have seen that use 1080.

Is it water proof/resistant at all?

mikeg205
10-30-2011, 09:57 PM
great stuff guys...in the same boat...getting a recorder to improve my slalom thanks...wakeboarding starting 2012 at age 52...hope I don't wind up in the injury thread...

airdrew99
10-31-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks for all the great info everyone.

macattack
10-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Just FYI...I tried 3 different flash camcorders in the past couple of months. My goal was to try to find a HD camera to use for all "family" events, to include mounting the camera on the ski pylon/P4 Trakker for course critiques. Hand held, all the cameras worked great, but mounted on the P4 Trakker had different results...

1. Sony HDRCX160, Optical Steady Shot Image Stabilization, 16GB internal flash and a SDXC card slot: Wavy video results; also had to use manual vs auto focus to keep the skier in focus

2. Canon VIXIA HF M301, Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization, no internal memory, has a SDXC card slot: Shaky video results; auto focus kept the skier in focus

3. JVC GZHM650BUS, Advanced Image Stabilizer, 8GB internal flash and a SDXC card slot: Video is perfect; auto focus also worked great

The 3 models I reviewed worked great for the fam, but only the JVC worked on the Trakker. I liked the Sony model the best...3" LCD screen, some of the functions, plus the editing software was easier to use, but didn't work on the Trakker.

The JVC model lists for $349.99 at HHGreg but you can get for $295 if you have good bargaining skills:). Most stores have a return policy, so you can try out the camcorder and return it if you do not like the results...mac

BrianM
10-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Is it water proof/resistant at all?
No its not. Hasn't been a problem yet (knock on wood) and we take it everywhere.

airdrew99
10-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Just FYI...I tried 3 different flash camcorders in the past couple of months. My goal was to try to find a HD camera to use for all "family" events, to include mounting the camera on the ski pylon/P4 Trakker for course critiques. Hand held, all the cameras worked great, but mounted on the P4 Trakker had different results...

1. Sony HDRCX160, Optical Steady Shot Image Stabilization, 16GB internal flash and a SDXC card slot: Wavy video results; also had to use manual vs auto focus to keep the skier in focus

2. Canon VIXIA HF M301, Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization, no internal memory, has a SDXC card slot: Shaky video results; auto focus kept the skier in focus

3. JVC GZHM650BUS, Advanced Image Stabilizer, 8GB internal flash and a SDXC card slot: Video is perfect; auto focus also worked great

The 3 models I reviewed worked great for the fam, but only the JVC worked on the Trakker. I liked the Sony model the best...3" LCD screen, some of the functions, plus the editing software was easier to use, but didn't work on the Trakker.

The JVC model lists for $349.99 at HHGreg but you can get for $295 if you have good bargaining skills:). Most stores have a return policy, so you can try out the camcorder and return it if you do not like the results...mac

Thanks for all the great info macattack.

GoneBoatN
10-31-2011, 03:24 PM

Thanks as well. Sounds like I will want to try the JVC as I'm looking for the best video. I have Corel Video Studio Pro X4 already so I dont care about the software that comes the camcorder.

macattack
10-31-2011, 09:25 PM
More than welcome...here's a link to a course video using my JVC model on a P4 Trakker...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRzjSGHIvDU

I'm sure there are other camcorder brands/models that will work just as well...like I mentioned earlier, most stores have a return policy...just keep trying them until you find one works best for you...

airdrew99
10-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Very nice resolution!!