PDA

View Full Version : Waxing the bottom of the hull

Ben
10-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Waste of time or good idea?

Kind of a PITA with the trailer in the way. I got an orbital last year for x-mas and waxing is so easy now, but not sure I want to mess with the bottom due to hassle.

Does the wax come right off the 1st time I come on plane anyway?

Guess what my friday night consists of...

mikeg205
10-28-2011, 10:25 PM
if u r thinking about it...welcome to the OCDMC club...I wax mine because I know it looks nice and shiny...:D

93Prostar190
10-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I must be a big dummy cause I do it twice a Summer ..... I tend to think it lasts for a little while ...... To me it is worth it.

LaRue
10-28-2011, 11:46 PM
I wax mine once a year. Part of overall care in my book

jimmies1
10-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Wax mine twice a year. I can tell a difference

GT500 MC
10-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Wax mine twice a year. I can tell a difference

Does it go faster?;)

Since winterizing mine, I've actually been feeling a bit guilty for not doing the bottom of the hull. I think that's going onto my November project list. If nothing else, a good wipe-down with the Babe's products.

east tx skier
10-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Do it. Don't worry about lifting off the trailer. Just spray some wax on the bunks next time it's in the water. But if you do that, never unhook the boat from the trailer until it is in the water. Those bunks will be slick as a greased wolverine.

jimmies1
10-29-2011, 02:54 PM
It does seem to go a little faster believe it or not....
But the main thing is the water scum doesn't seem to stick to the hull as bad when its got a good coat of wax

Nvrgvup
10-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Another thing for discussion...Carnauba.

I have been using Collonite Insulator on the boat and cars. Really like the stuff. However it seemed like I was actually was getting more growth with the Collonite than without anything and it wasn't any easier to clean. After some reading, it seems that some alges are attracted to the carnauba in waxes and feed on it. Next season I will be trying a wax without carnauba waterline and below. Collonite still on the topside.