PDA

View Full Version : Anybody with a Mazda 3?

captain planet
10-28-2011, 08:48 AM
I have an 05 Mazda 3 hatchback. This morning my low beams don't work. I have ruled out the bulbs because, both at the same time, really? I looked on the Mazda 3 forum a little and posed the question as to the location of the relay, but really the response time on there compared to here is turtle-like.

JBrew
10-28-2011, 09:27 AM
I had an 11, but I just sold it. This is from a Mazda forum:

Plenty of possibilities here:

1. Obviously, the switch could be suspected. I doubt it. Your headlights are controlled by one (or more) relays. The switch operates the relay(s). From the comments here, it sounds as if Mazda has placed separate control relays in each headlight fixture -- strange idea. If you have replaced your OE lamps with new lamps that draw significantly more current, then you could have damaged relay contacts. That doesn't sound like what is going on with your car. You may select replacement lamps that have different color outputs with the same wattage.

2. Loss of ground. I would say that this is a likely suspect. It should be easy enough to test for ground continuity with an ohmmeter, but you must first replicate the intermittent problem. If it is an intermittent ground loss, then it would probably show up as high resistance even when the light is working. There is a possibility that your headlight socket could have a good ground, but your control relay doesn't. Also a possibility that you have a corroded hot wire connection between your switch and relay coil.

3. Bad relay. This could be an intermittent fault with the relay coil or corroded contacts inside the control relay. If switching on and off fixes the problem, then that suggests bad relay contacts as the probable culprit.

4. Bad lamp is a remote possibility. As a rule, a lamp is either good or bad. However, it is possible for a lamp to have a broken filament that makes and breaks. This is a rare condition and the lamp wouldn't maintain this condition for long without failing completely. It would also tend to respond to vibration -- so you would likely see it blink while driving. Corrosion in the lamp socket is also a possibility.

captain planet
10-28-2011, 09:44 AM
To my knowledge the bulbs are original, but I have yet to check them. I will at lunch today. Both lights don't work on low. The high beams work fine.

Thanks for your input. From what forum does that originate?

JBrew
10-28-2011, 10:04 AM
http://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/headlight-problem-17454/

ntidsl
10-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Got a Speed 3 but I dont know anything bout the lights...sorry...just know I love driving it!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-28-2011, 10:42 AM
you also have seperate fuses for left and right low and high operation, check fuses first...

captain planet
10-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Got a Speed 3 but I dont know anything bout the lights...sorry...just know I love driving it!

I would agree. This thing is a blast to drive. This is the first car I have ever had where I can't wait to go somewhere becasue I get to drive it.

captain planet
10-28-2011, 10:45 AM
you also have seperate fuses for left and right low and high operation, check fuses first...

I found one 40 amp fuse under the hood for the headlights. I'll look for others here in a little bit.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-28-2011, 10:57 AM
this might help
MAZDA ELECTRICAL WIRING DIAGRAM

fuse 60 and 61 control low headlamps right and left located at passenger side fuse box both 15a fuses

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/maz-ewd.pdf

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=77517.0

captain planet
10-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Alright, I have good fuses, I have 14+ volts going through them relative to the switch being on and off. I have 14+ voldts at the plug going into the light and I get no continuity going through the bulbs. Now I come to find out some of these cars have xenon bulbs which means you wouldn't have any continuity through the bulb anyway, correct?

Alright, I have the halogen bulbs....which have no continuity.....which means they are dead.....BOTH of them? This is a first.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Alright, I have good fuses, I have 14+ volts going through them relative to the switch being on and off. I have 14+ voldts at the plug going into the light and I get no continuity going through the bulbs. Now I come to find out some of these cars have xenon bulbs which means you wouldn't have any continuity through the bulb anyway, correct?

Alright, I have the halogen bulbs....which have no continuity.....which means they are dead.....BOTH of them? This is a first.

Glad you got it figured out, and yes I have seen 2 bulbs go out at the same time, you better be happy you don't have the xenon bc those bulbs are like $300 each and my experience with the xenon thats it the ballast that goes out not the bulbs, price $1000 for a complete assembly bc nissan doesn't sell just the ballast on some models...

captain planet
10-28-2011, 10:01 PM
$26 repair...... But still a first for two bulbs going bad at the same time.

Kevin@MWMC
10-29-2011, 07:50 PM
It is an odd coincidence for 2 bulbs to go at the same time.............

Just had both of my daytime running lights go out on my Escalade at the same time. Checked all the fuses first just like you because I thought the possibility of both going out at the same time was slim to none. But all fuses were good, both bulbs were bad, funny thing huh?

plunk77
10-30-2011, 08:07 PM
i had that problem on my '03 Yukon. One night when i was driving they just didn't come on. i tried everything refusing to believe they both went out at the same time. but they did. very strange

captain planet
10-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Maybe not as rare as we might think. My new bulbs are noticably brighter than the old ones were.....and yes they are the same wattage as the old ones.

east tx skier
10-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Maybe not as rare as we might think. My new bulbs are noticably brighter than the old ones were.....and yes they are the same wattage as the old ones.

Maybe they wired them in series? ;)

-V-
10-31-2011, 11:33 AM
i have a 2008 3 HB and the left one went out the other day, but i learned something in the military a long time ago that I applied to it and it fixed it without having to change the bulb.............I hit it. :)