PDA

View Full Version : 91 - 94 Prostar 190

Cloaked
10-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Standard dash and head unit compartment....typical opening and sliding cover.

What head unit fits nicely without a lot of mods? Will the Clarion CMD6 fit? I have read where the CMD6 does not come with an slide-in install chasis, only face plate screw connectors. How has anyone installed this unit in the 91 - 94 era boat?

DooSPX
10-31-2011, 09:03 AM
I'm sorry I cannot answer your question about the CMD6, but I have a JVC single DIN w/ HD Radio, USB/iPod control.. I love it. Single DIN's fit with hardly any work.

SkiDog
10-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Single din is whats in my boat too. probably the nicest feature on it is the bluetooth. I sent you a pic of it too.

gotta_ski
10-31-2011, 03:04 PM
I had a single din in mine with the flip up cover. Bought a CMD6 to replace it, thinking I could just take out the old unit and the cover and bolt the new one right to the dash. No go. The hole that was cut for the flip-up cover was larger than the CMD6 face.

I got a piece of stainless big enough to cover the hole then took it to see a friend. He put the plate in his mill and cut the hole in the middle to fit the CMD6 and mounted some trick flush-head bolts to secure the plate to the dash. I think he called them pim-studs? After it was finished he powder-coated it black for me. It was more involved than I'd hoped but came out great, and there are no exposed fasteners. It looks professional, almost as if it were factory. I don't have a pic handy, but I'll try and get one this weekend. We're hoping to ski one more day before it snows.

Cloaked
10-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks all. I suspected that and have since succumb to the single DIN unit. I appreciate the feedback. Sure helps a lot for a new era boat owner.... I have a new unit on order.

93Prostar190
10-31-2011, 11:03 PM
On my 93 Prostar, I had a single DIN which tied in to an Alpine amp. There are several head units on the market that would work well. If I remember, I did not even use a "marine one"

Good luck.

Cloaked
11-01-2011, 07:27 PM
On my 93 Prostar, I had a single DIN which tied in to an Alpine amp. There are several head units on the market that would work well. If I remember, I did not even use a "marine one"

Good luck.Oddly enough, I have an Alpine unit from a previous mod. in a truck. It's going in just as you described.

Thank you all for the responses.

DooSPX
11-02-2011, 08:57 AM
My HD Radio/iPod control JVC is not a "marine unit" as long as you don't let water get "into" it, you should be fine. Mine has held up great including the time I got caught in the rain. The cover helps. I even sprayed mine with a hose not thinking, and thought I shorted it out. All I did was take the face off and let it dry real good, still works like a champ.

Cloaked
11-02-2011, 06:37 PM
My HD Radio/iPod control JVC is not a "marine unit" as long as you don't let water get "into" it, you should be fine. Mine has held up great including the time I got caught in the rain. The cover helps. I even sprayed mine with a hose not thinking, and thought I shorted it out. All I did was take the face off and let it dry real good, still works like a champ.I'll make this one work. It's an auto unit. I canceled the other order until I see how this works. Just looking for a simple setup.

DooSPX
11-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I think you will be fine unless you leave your boat in the water 24/7. Show us some pictures when you start on the project! :D