PDA

View Full Version : Pouring AF in PCM 351W?

Nvrgvup
10-27-2011, 02:56 PM
I have an 83' PCM 351w.

Picked up 4 gallons of RV AF and headed over to the storage place. I had previously opened up all the petcocks to drain the block and water pump.

I however can't remove the plugs in the manifolds. Another story. I wanted to get AF in the manifolds.

I pull the output hose of the raw water pump and start pouring AF in assuming it will go into the manifolds. Then I find it leaking out of all the engine petcocks. I'm totally stumped assuming nothing would get past the thermostat. So I fill her all up with about 3 or so gallons of AF until it leaks out the exhaust.

Looking at the thermostat cover it looks like the water from the raw water pump bypasses the thermostat.

Is this an acceptable way to winterize this engine?? Alway hear about making sure the engine is warm and thermostat is open. Any risk of not getting enough AF in the manifolds without draining.

Thanks.

east tx skier
10-27-2011, 08:22 PM
What kind of antifreeze are you using? If it's the pink RV antifreeze, it's not supposed to be diluted. So not draining would be a problem.

As far as your question goes, on a PCM Ford, you can disconnect the raw water hose from the output of the water pump (hose goes to the thermostat housing), raise the hose high with a funnel in it and pour about 3 or so gallons of antifreeze in it. Whether it is warmed up or not, there is a bypass that will allow AF to get into the manifolds. This is Correct Craft's recommendation for adding antifreeze to the PCM Ford engine to winterize that is listed in their manuals for years. This is how I do it on my PCM Ford GT-40 engine.

mikeg205
10-27-2011, 08:41 PM
I do the same... pull out the impeller... turn the hose that feeds the water recirculation pump...spin the engine around a couple of time...safety cut off lanyard off of course...its amazing how fast the pink stuff makes to the exhaust risers...then I open everything up and everything drains out all pink...

Hollywood
10-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Lower the tongue jack, and suck the manifolds dry with a vacuum, then add the A/F.

Nvrgvup
10-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Good idea!!