PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Student Looking for Wake/Ski Industry Occupation

ChrisK
10-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi all, I'm new on these forums as I own a 1985 Supra. However, I'm excited about looking into all of the knowledge you guys have as well. Come on over and visit the Supra boards as well!

So I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post about this on here or not so just take it off if I'm not! : ) The basic subject of this post is to pitch myself. I'm currently a senior at the University of Missouri studying Business Administration with an emphasis in marketing. I will be graduating in May and I'm starting to become fairly nervous about my job search and the market for fresh graduates today.

I just thought I'd throw this out there and ask if there is anyone on here who may know of a connection into the marketing field or know of a job opening somewhere? I'd obviously love to turn my passion into an occupation and work in the marine industry but I understand it's not exactly the time to be picky; so, I'm honestly up for anything. I know it's a long shot but I don't really have anything to lose.

Aside from that, anyone have advice for a soon-to-be-graduate on the job hunt? Thanks in advance!

CantRepeat
10-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Welcome to TT at least you're not from Pakistan(PK)!! (inside joke about all the spammers registering in the last few weeks).

jdl xstar
10-25-2011, 11:19 AM
I'll give you credit for looking outside the box in your search. Here's a tip on discovering lesser known companies...

Go to your downtown area and simply walk into the lobby of some buildings and write down the names of the companies listed in the building directory. You will find dozens of companies you have probably never heard of since they aren't advertised like your big brand corporations. Then just look up their websites and search info about them and see if they do something you are interested in. I know of two people who have done this with success.

Another way to get company names is to look at the sponsors of industry conferences or conventions.

My second tip is to offer to work as an intern during your spring semester if you can schedule a couple days with no classes. If you prove yourself, they may hire you upon graduation and if not, you will at least get some connections or find a mentor who can write a recommendation, etc..

Good luck with your search. Almost refreshing to see a college student hungry to find a job instead of marching around with signs calling for the end of capitalism!

92 190 PS
10-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Where are you looking to land? What part of the country?

And I second jdl's comments, especially the refreshing part.

MIskier
10-25-2011, 06:30 PM
If you're willing to relocate you may be able to find something. Ski and wakboard industry is a hard one to break into though. I share a similar passion and was able to land an internship with MasterCraft working with their Naval Architect. It was by far the best job I have had!

Another thing to consider is the marine industry as a whole which will give you a much better chance of being hired.

PM me and I'll get you some contact info at companies that may be looking to hire in the sales or marketing dept.

JLowder
10-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Why get a job? Can't you just go to your local city hall and "occupy? " No really, great job thinking out of the box. Good luck!

mikeg205
10-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Nice...very nice advice.