PDA

View Full Version : FrontSight near vegas

gatorguy
10-24-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm thinking of going to FrontSight just outside of vegas for a 4 day defensive handgun class. Has anyone been there? The class is only $100, so I don't know how I could lose, but I still have to take time off, and pay for trave, hotel, ammo, etc... so I want to make sure I'm not throwing away my money.

curtish
10-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Have not been myself, but have heard good things.

gatorguy
02-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Just got back from my 4 day class. Can't say enough good about it. I would have considered myself pretty knowledgeable before the class, after all I've been shooting for about 34yrs (ever since I was 3) and I am in the army (I don't know if I should add or subtract credit for that?). Anyway I really learned a ton, and had a blast. The weather was great, and the instructors were great (my dad went too, and they spent lots of time one on one with him), and the ranges are awesome.

If you can't tell, I really had a good time, and highly recommend it. I'll be going again for sure. I got my class for $100. He is always running some kind of "special."

thatsmrmastercraft
02-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Sounds like a great time. I guess that is one more thing to add to my To Do list, as is it isn't full enough already.:rolleyes:

mzito
02-07-2012, 04:19 PM
This past yr i spent 350.00 for a lifetime membership. i have not had time to go but looking forward to it in the future. how many rounds did you go through and what do you shoot?

CantRepeat
02-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Just got back from my 4 day class. Can't say enough good about it. I would have considered myself pretty knowledgeable before the class, after all I've been shooting for about 34yrs (ever since I was 3) and I am in the army (I don't know if I should add or subtract credit for that?). Anyway I really learned a ton, and had a blast. The weather was great, and the instructors were great (my dad went too, and they spent lots of time one on one with him), and the ranges are awesome.

If you can't tell, I really had a good time, and highly recommend it. I'll be going again for sure. I got my class for $100. He is always running some kind of "special."

What is that you do in the Army?

scott023
02-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Is that a rhetorical question? :D

thatsmrmastercraft
02-07-2012, 06:05 PM

Is this twenty questions?

scott023
02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Is this twenty questions?

Who's asking?

CantRepeat
02-07-2012, 06:54 PM

Well, not really. There are ton of different jobs in the Army. I would of thought he could of gotten into a CatC course and saved a lot of money.

gatorguy
02-08-2012, 10:34 AM

I'm an Anesthesiologist, so no guns for me. Besides the one time I did get to shoot with the army they have a way of sucking all the fun out of it. It's also pretty bad when the instructor can't even break down the weapon they are trying to teach.

I thought about trying to justify (scam) a class out of the army, but it's pretty hard when your the only anesthesiologist at your hospital, and the command doesn't want to even pay for the anual training I really do need.

CantRepeat
02-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm an Anesthesiologist, so no guns for me. Besides the one time I did get to shoot with the army they have a way of sucking all the fun out of it. It's also pretty bad when the instructor can't even break down the weapon they are trying to teach.

I thought about trying to justify (scam) a class out of the army, but it's pretty hard when your the only anesthesiologist at your hospital, and the command doesn't want to even pay for the anual training I really do need.

Until you are driving down some road in Afghanistan and someone starts to light-up that convoy you're in. Everyone is a rifleman first and something else second.

Yeah, money getting tight and will only get tighter now that the war in Iraq is "over". It's funny how we all still know Soldiers that are still there.

gatorguy
02-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Until you are driving down some road in Afghanistan and someone starts to light-up that convoy you're in. Everyone is a rifleman first and something else second.

You're exactly right, except they wont pay to have enough staff to run a hospital as it is, let alone to have enough staff to cover so everyone can go get the real training they need to survive in country.

gatorguy
02-08-2012, 12:33 PM
This past yr i spent 350.00 for a lifetime membership. i have not had time to go but looking forward to it in the future. how many rounds did you go through and what do you shoot?

We shot about 600 rounds. Those who had bad aim ended up shooting more.

I took my .40Sig P229. I decided I don't like it much after this class though. My thumb rests on the slide lock, so when you shoot the mag dry the slide doesn't lock to the rear. I'm trying to switch my grip from thumbs forward to thumbs up, but it's hard to break bad habits. Also I don't like the 1st hard double action trigger pull. I'm looking to replace it with a Wilson combat 1911 CQB LE in .45ACP. The $2800 price tag is the only limiting factor. I also really like the XDM 4.5 in .45ACP.

mzito
02-09-2012, 01:26 AM
I am also a Sig guy. I have the P239 in .40 and .357sig. It is currently at Gray Guns getting a trigger job. They will reduce your 1st DA pull dramatically and also decrease the SA pull as well as making the entire pull smooth. A little hard on the pocket book at 325.00 but will be a dream to fire.

gatorguy
02-09-2012, 01:23 PM
I am also a Sig guy. I have the P239 in .40 and .357sig. It is currently at Gray Guns getting a trigger job. They will reduce your 1st DA pull dramatically and also decrease the SA pull as well as making the entire pull smooth. A little hard on the pocket book at 325.00 but will be a dream to fire.

That is a lot for a trigger. Especially when I can by a whole brand new glock for just over $400.

CantRepeat
02-09-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm not a gun nut. I don't hunt and I don't shoot for fun. We have a glock 9mm with tritium sights for home protection and that's it. I know a lot of people enjoy shooting for recreation but I'd rather spend the cash on gas for the boat! ;)

mzito
02-09-2012, 04:58 PM
That is a lot for a trigger. Especially when I can by a whole brand new glock for just over $400.

Yes you can by a Glock for around 400, however I am not a Glock fan at all. Some people love them others like my self hate them. I can not shoot them, they feel cheap to me. They are proven by LE and military, but not for me.

I think Sig and H&K are some of the most durable and rugged pistol you can get. This trigger job will be well worth the money!!!