PDA

View Full Version : Black fading on Transom

KBryant2007
10-24-2011, 11:43 AM
I have a 2005 Prostar 209, and leave it on a lift during the summer, and keep it stored inside during the winter. Although the boat is stored at the marina that is covered, the sun has faded the black on the transom. What have others done to restore the black. Waxing helps to a degree, but was wondering if you could use rubbing compound, wetsanding, etc? Would appreciate any comments to those who have experienced fading and how you have addressed it. Rest of the boat looks like it rolled off the factory line. Boat has 199 hours, and runs just like the day I bought it. :)

MC X-15
10-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Same problem. I keep it on a lift all summer with a boat cover but not a lift cover. Looking pretty bad, ive tried everythign except wetsanding. I am going to get a new cover over the winter with a swim platform cover and side skirts. Hopefully that will prevent it once i figure out how to fix it.

Cloaked
10-24-2011, 05:16 PM
What's done is done.

Rubbing compound with a wool pad or sand it down to clean gel again....then finish with glaze and wax.

Keep wax on the finish at all times.

sand2snow22
10-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Yep, wetsand with 2500. Then use compound with a wool pad, then polish, then wax. Wet sanding will increase your chance of it not coming back! Having said that, get a waterline cover from a place like skiboatcovers.com

BrianM
10-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Yep, wetsand with 2500. Then use compound with a wool pad, then polish, then wax. Wet sanding will increase your chance of it not coming back! Having said that, get a waterline cover from a place like skiboatcovers.com
A heavy cut compound like 3M Super Duty Compound is more abrasive than 2500 paper. Doing that process is stepping backwards.

If a good compound won't get out the fade then sand with 1000 grit. Then compound to remove the 1000 grit scratching, then polish to bring back the shine, then wax.

If its REALLY bad then start with 600 then follow with the above.

Kummer
10-24-2011, 10:58 PM
A heavy cut compound like 3M Super Duty Compound is more abrasive than 2500 paper. Doing that process is stepping backwards.

If a good compound won't get out the fade then sand with 1000 grit. Then compound to remove the 1000 grit scratching, then polish to bring back the shine, then wax.

If its REALLY bad then start with 600 then follow with the above.
BrianM is on it - I have had the same problem and untill you REMOVE the faded gel coat you are never going to get it right. I removed the decals D rings and handle so I had one flat surface to work with as I could not get around everything well enough. It required wetsanding with 1000 grit for me, but now it is a lasting shine.