PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing question

davidstan
10-24-2011, 12:17 PM
My x2 will be in a heated (50 degrees) garage all winter so not worried about draining block as much but was wondering about the other stuff that is do it your self.
Question: How much Stabil to pour in tank when 20 gal gas is present?
Question: Just disconnect the neg battery cable?
Question: Fogging is done how and with what prduct?

I taped the exhaust down for critters so i think if i do the above i will be ok till spring and a full servicing from dealer. My problem is it is verrrry difficult to pull boat in and out of small garage so i only want to do it once preferrably in the spring and take care of the essentials this coming weekend. Any input is appreciated.:)

Miss Rita
10-24-2011, 12:42 PM
The Stabil label says 1 oz/2.5 gallons of gas. I usually increase that by 50%. I take the battery out, hook it up in parallel with my other batteries, and leave them on a maintainer through the winter. Winters here are a little colder than y'all have in GA.

east tx skier
10-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Fogging oil is sold in aerosol cans under various brand names. If you have an MCX, just fog through the spark plug openings. If TBI, also fog through throttle body.

Draining takes about 5 minutes and would be my preference even though the boat is in a heated storage. If the power goes out, no heat.

Brian B
10-24-2011, 01:31 PM
^ True. I was going to do the drop light under the hatch method. (It rarely freezes here)

east tx skier
10-24-2011, 04:03 PM
My boat is stored year round in an attached garage. I doubt the temp in the garage has ever been below freezing (even though we will get below several times each winter). Nonetheless, I drain. It's just too easy not to do it. I actually add antifreeze as well for any corrosion inhibition it might provide. It takes another 3--4 minutes, but work it.

CantRepeat
10-24-2011, 04:19 PM
My x2 will be in a heated (50 degrees) garage all winter so not worried about draining block as much but was wondering about the other stuff that is do it your self.
Question: How much Stabil to pour in tank when 20 gal gas is present?
Question: Just disconnect the neg battery cable?
Question: Fogging is done how and with what prduct?

I taped the exhaust down for critters so i think if i do the above i will be ok till spring and a full servicing from dealer. My problem is it is verrrry difficult to pull boat in and out of small garage so i only want to do it once preferrably in the spring and take care of the essentials this coming weekend. Any input is appreciated.:)

Just pour the entire pint can in.

Batteries on a maintainer, don't leave it connected to a trickle charger that doesn't shut off.

Napa carries a fogging oil under their brand name. I spray 10 seconds in each spark plug hole and then turn the motor over(pull your kills switch) for 10 seconds.

Don't forget to pull your impeller and check your trans cooler for junk.

d2jp
10-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Adding to the winterizing thread....I've found several references to disconnecting the drive flange coupling and greasing the surfaces, leaving like this until it's time to put the boat back in.

Pro's or con's of this? I don't see many folks putting it on 'the list'.