PDA

View Full Version : EFI Conversion?

SunCoast 83
10-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Is there such a thing for us long suffering Holley owners?

If not any advise for long periods of not using the boat (Florida Winters) Nov-Mar?

Thanks

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-22-2011, 07:07 PM

If not any advise for long periods of not using the boat (Florida Winters) Nov-Mar?

Thanks

Yes there are efi conversions out there but its probably not worth the hassle, just sell your boat and get a newer one already equipped with efi, or buy a new, not a remanufactured 4160 and be done with it.

Cloaked
10-22-2011, 07:32 PM

ThanksI have been fooling with these old school boats for 32 years now. Converting to the EI is the best $150 you can spend. Reset the timing.

After so long and so many gasket kits for the 4160, your best bet is to replace it with a new one, After so long, they eventually get gummed up or out of whack to the point that a new carb is your best bet. A rebuilt carb will create nothing but headaches sooner than later. At $350 for a rebuild, I'd easily pay the $500 for a new one (electric choke included) and enjoy a new ride. Make sure you have the 1" spacer plate under it.

One last thing too, after many boats over winters, one of the worse things you can do to the reliable Holley 4160 is let it set without stabilizing the gasoline. There lies the root of many 4160 issues, that and the fact that the gaskets dry out and shrink over the course of several iterative winter periods.

Don't forget a Battery Tender from batterymart.com. That $50 investment will extend the life of your battery enough to make up for the new carb... I use them year-round. Never use a trickle charger for extended periods to rely on battery maintenance.

Pull five drain plugs and one hose connection (bottom of the tranny cooler) and you're winterized. Fogging is optional in my opinion.

1redTA
10-22-2011, 07:53 PM
The efi conversion "carbs" from Holley start around $1800 and are pretty much plug and play. I spent $2000 on my 81 and believe it or not, I like working on the carb. BUT an LT1 205 will be my next boat if I don't put an LT1 in the 81.

Cloaked
10-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Perceivably I have mixed apples and oranges in the context here. I was referring to converting from points to breakerless ingition. My apologies for the coRnfusion on my part.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-22-2011, 08:09 PM
The efi conversion "carbs" from Holley start around $1800 and are pretty much plug and play. I spent $2000 on my 81 and believe it or not, I like working on the carb. BUT an LT1 205 will be my next boat if I don't put an LT1 in the 81.

Those automotive ones are closed loop systems using o2 sensors, not saying it can't be done but its cost prohibitive, manifolds, fuel systems, wiring, ecm, etc.

east tx skier
10-22-2011, 09:45 PM
It can be done, but most people who know more about it than I do will tell you that it's not worth the money or trouble. For the winter, just a good marine stabilizer or SeaFoam and, if you can, start the boat up on a hose once every month, run it for a few minutes, and drain again. Fresh gas is your friend.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-22-2011, 11:52 PM
It can be done, but most people who know more about it than I do will tell you that it's not worth the money or trouble. For the winter, just a good marine stabilizer or SeaFoam and, if you can, start the boat up on a hose once every month, run it for a few minutes, and drain again. Fresh gas is your friend.

Thats what I do, I put more hours on my boat this year by running in the driveway to ensure it stays running right then I did on the water so far this year...:rolleyes:

madcityskier
10-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Am I missing something? Why would you store a boat from Nov-Mar in FLORIDA? In Wisconsin we ski from April to Novemeber. I would think you should be out year round, or at the most miss from mid December to late February? Maybe you're traveling for work or something?

east tx skier
10-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Most block freezes occur in the south.

SunCoast 83
10-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks for all the advice
yes work keeps me very busy this time of year during the holiday season. That's not to say if the there is a warm saturday in December or March that we do not go out for a quick run,

I will keep up better on starting it up on the hose as well, only takes a few minutes and it sure sounds like it curbs alot of headaches.

I did have the carb rebuilt just recently, however starting it up yesterday required pouring gas into the carb. Is this a result of the rebuild?

After this summer, I am at my whits end with this thing. It spend way too much time in the shop and I spent way too much money. I really enjoy this boat, however I am now forced into considering either a new EFI LT-1 or a new boat. The new 4160 suggestion sounds viable as well.

Cloaked
10-23-2011, 10:51 AM
I did have the carb rebuilt just recently, however starting it up yesterday required pouring gas into the carb. Is this a result of the rebuild?Nature of the beast. I have done this off and on each season after it sits for seveal months.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all the advice
yes work keeps me very busy this time of year during the holiday season. That's not to say if the there is a warm saturday in December or March that we do not go out for a quick run,

I will keep up better on starting it up on the hose as well, only takes a few minutes and it sure sounds like it curbs alot of headaches.

I did have the carb rebuilt just recently, however starting it up yesterday required pouring gas into the carb. Is this a result of the rebuild?

After this summer, I am at my whits end with this thing. It spend way too much time in the shop and I spent way too much money. I really enjoy this boat, however I am now forced into considering either a new EFI LT-1 or a new boat. The new 4160 suggestion sounds viable as well.

If you had to pour gas in the carb to get it to start, you either don't have the choke set rich enough, have poor accelerator pump operation, or didn't give a couple strokes of the throttle to give the engine some gas to start with (and thereby set the choke).

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-23-2011, 11:59 PM
If your current boat does everything you need it to do, why spend 15k + on a newer one with efi, if its me I would buy a new carburetor and your reliability issues are solved.