PDA

View Full Version : please help at the end of my rope

steve mc
10-22-2011, 01:01 PM
The problem started in July when my X45 just cut out on the water. I thought it was the fuel pump so I replaced that. It did not run at first but then it did later. It's been an intermittant problem. It will run for two days and then won't start. I have replaced all three relays, checked all of the connections I can find. I did find that the ground wire on the plug that snaps into or on top of the fuel pump was faulty, so I replaced that. The boat ran fine for a couple of hours. I docked it and when I attempted to start it later it would not start. I am at my wits end here. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have not replaced the whole housing of the fuel pump. I just replaced the pump itself in the original housing.

JimN
10-22-2011, 01:04 PM
The problem started in July when my X45 just cut out on the water. I thought it was the fuel pump so I replaced that. It did not run at first but then it did later. It's been an intermittant problem. It will run for two days and then won't start. I have replaced all three relays, checked all of the connections I can find. I did find that the ground wire on the plug that snaps into or on top of the fuel pump was faulty, so I replaced that. The boat ran fine for a couple of hours. I docked it and when I attempted to start it later it would not start. I am at my wits end here. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have not replaced the whole housing of the fuel pump. I just replaced the pump itself in the original housing.

When you turned the key, it cranked, but didn't fire, right? Do you ever remove the lanyard from the kill switch? Press on the clip to engage it better and see if it starts.

Have you changed the fuel filter? When?

Test these things before replacing- it will save a lot of money and time wasted on the water.

steve mc
10-22-2011, 02:44 PM
I have checked the landyard it is fine
the fuel filter i changed in july when i changed the pump
i replaced the relays a few days ago

i put the old relays back in and it started again i think it most be in the wiring harness somewhere

we toke it out it was running well then the tower leg snapped i guess this is not my weekend thanks for the help
steve

Jerseydave
10-22-2011, 05:14 PM
I have heard on this site that if the fuel hose (in module) is not clamped tight it will cause hard starting. When it does not start, you should check the fuel pressure to make sure it's still ok.

Or do you not have spark when the engine won't start?

nmcjr
10-23-2011, 01:30 AM
I would also say your best bet is to buy a fuel pressure gauge and check that first, they're cheap and you will at least know where to start looking. I have had the problem that dave describes above and with the fuel pressure gauge you'll see the pressure go up when you turn the key, and it will immediately fall back down, rather than hold.

Thrall
10-23-2011, 01:54 PM
I have heard on this site that if the fuel hose (in module) is not clamped tight it will cause hard starting. When it does not start, you should check the fuel pressure to make sure it's still ok.

Or do you not have spark when the engine won't start?

That would be my suggestion. Saw that happen using the old spring clamps during an emergency pump replacement. New hose clamps fixed it. It would either not start at all, intermittently, or require priming several times.
Also, bypass the tether kill switch to make sure. Mine was "fine", but just a little bump would cause it to disconnect.
Check for fuel pressure too as suggessted.

mikeg205
10-23-2011, 03:27 PM
yes, I agree too....if fuel pressure ok...and relays are new...check ECM. Get a computer reader... or go to napa and see if you could borrow one... there may be a code that indicates an issues. which engine do you have? single coil? multi coil?

Table Rocker
10-23-2011, 04:46 PM
I'll say it again. Spray some starting fluid and if it fires and dies, you are having a fuel delivery issue. If it doesn't fire, you are having an ignition problem. Narrow your list of potential problems in a matter of seconds for under a dollar.

mikeg205
10-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I'll say it again. Spray some starting fluid and if it fires and dies, you are having a fuel delivery issue. If it doesn't fire, you are having an ignition problem. Narrow your list of potential problems in a matter of seconds for under a dollar.

good point... one I'll remember...

mikeg205
10-23-2011, 05:13 PM

If you don't want to use starting fluid...you can spray gumout as well...solved a starting issue on a generator in the same manner...