PDA

View Full Version : Handyman Tool Testing Offers?

Rockman
10-19-2011, 01:59 PM
I received an offer in the mail that basically will allow me to test various tools (drills, generators, saws, etc.) for free and I get to keep the tools. All I have to do is use the tools provided and fill out a report back to the company answering various questions.

I know this is a total scam as this is too good to be true or everyone would be doing it.

Additionally, the letter states "Don't bother to send money. Your membership dues are so low that it's easier to bill you later." :uglyhamme

Also in the letter is states something to the effect that you get all the privileges in the letter for just a dollar a month.

The company is out of Minnetonka MN.

Has anyone ever done this before? If so, what were the pros and cons of joining this type of club.

Sounds too good to be true to me and I do not want to commit to something that is going to costs me a ton of money..

Your thoughts?

Rockman

thatsmrmastercraft
10-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Don't know the company, but your thoughts are right.......it has to be a scam.

pram
10-19-2011, 02:37 PM
how far is it to drive there?

scott023
10-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Too good to be true. But one never knows... sometimes "too good to be true" happens.

Rockman
10-19-2011, 03:36 PM

Just a PO box for the address...too far for me anyways...about 6 hours or so.

Maybe someone from MN has had experience with this company.

You paying shipping for all the tools coming my way? :D

RM

thatsmrmastercraft
10-19-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm only 20 minutes from Minnetonka, but I wouldn't waste my time on this even if you were paying for the gas there and back.:D

joniron1
10-19-2011, 05:26 PM
try googleing the company name its probably a scam

Fast50dad
10-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Try contacting the MN Attorney General and run the company name by them, good luck!

Kevin 89MC
10-19-2011, 06:10 PM
I actually am a "Lifetime" member of the Handyman Club of America. Got on board early on when it was relatively inexpensive. I've sent in a few requests for tool testing, didn't get any. I got one product test item, a silly little pour attachment that you can add to oil bottles, etc. It works OK. Haven't really bothered to request more. I've received a few free & cheap tools & such from them, most are worth what I paid for them. A few have been OK. Apparently I'm guaranteed to get their magazine for life, but it is similar to the waterski mag, good for some light & quick reading, but that is about it. They were both better back in the day.
I recently got offered to "upgrade" my "lifetime" membership for more $, supposedly better things...and I passed. Overall not disappointed in it, but not overly impressed with it either. Like here, I get better info from their forum boards than the magazines sometimes. But I still get excited to get the magazine (and waterski mag), it's a nice break from all the other depressing news out there.
Good luck if you try it...but I'd pass if I were you.
Kevin

ahhudgins
10-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Quick Google search turns up a lot of junk. From a few things I've read it sounds like they send you other stuff that isn't included in the "free stuff". It's kind of like the Columbia House record thing. You either have to send it back or buy it...sounds like a hassle to me.
I'll keep buying Craftsman tools. Use a screwdriver as a pry bar and then get a new one. :D

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=4697

Rockman
10-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Yes, I will take a pass on it. It is a cool idea though. I am not sure how many times I said "If they would have made it this way, then it would have worked better, etc." But oh well.

As always, if I am in need of advice on tools, etc. I do check with the TMCers first as I know we have all been there, done that.

Wish they have a beer sampling club...would have no problem paying a few $ per month to offer feedback...gotta keep hoping! :D

Kyle
10-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Go buy Snap-On tools and just be done with it. There is no need for testing. They are the best period. I got a whole box loaded to the gills with their tools. If it breaks just call the home office and email a picture and they will send you a new tool in the mail for free. Great customer service. The only thing I've broken was a hammer and a ratchet screw driver, both replaced for free. I did wear out a swivel ratchet and it needed a head kit. I mailed it back and got a brand new one.

Their return policy is 100% better than Walmart and Wally world returns thing not even bought at their store lol.

Kyle
10-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Stay the heck away from anything at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. Their tools are guaranteed to fail on the second use.

I have Snap-On in the toolbox and Craftsman in my tool bag in the boat that never leaves the boat.

ted shred
10-19-2011, 09:38 PM
I was a "founding member" back in the mid 90's. All I got to test was a plastic stanley utility knife. Not even the metal one. Two years later they sent me another tool to test. Guess what, a plastic utility knife. I said bye bye.

Rockman
10-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Go buy Snap-On tools and just be done with it. There is no need for testing. They are the best period. I got a whole box loaded to the gills with their tools. If it breaks just call the home office and email a picture and they will send you a new tool in the mail for free. Great customer service. The only thing I've broken was a hammer and a ratchet screw driver, both replaced for free. I did wear out a swivel ratchet and it needed a head kit. I mailed it back and got a brand new one.

Their return policy is 100% better than Walmart and Wally world returns thing not even bought at their store lol.

Kyle,

The offered showed much more than hand tools and drills...included Generac generators, chop saws, etc. That's what made the offer so appealing.

I too have enough tools to last me 2 lifetimes...just geting the tools you really never needed but wanted for free was a good hook line for me to inquire.

scott023
10-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Kyle,

The offered showed much more than hand tools and drills...included Generac generators, chop saws, etc. That's what made the offer so appealing.

I too have enough tools to last me 2 lifetimes...just geting the tools you really never needed but wanted for free was a good hook line for me to inquire.

I think most of us would've for a deal like that.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-20-2011, 09:59 AM
I think most of us would've for a deal like that.

I would like to win the lottery too. Just sayin'

scott023
10-20-2011, 10:05 AM

Is there somewhere to sign up for that too? :D

ahhudgins
10-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Is there somewhere to sign up for that too? :D

Just read my signature! :D

I don't buy into anything that comes in the mail. They all go into the shredder.

Kyle
10-20-2011, 07:24 PM

Funny but sad true story. I play the lotto rarely and was begged one night to play. I declined playing telling an ex it's a waste of money. I said pick your numbers and write them down on a piece of paper and I will do the same and we can see how much money we saved. She wrote down 10 sets of numbers and I wrote down 1 set because it was a waste of time. She may have gotten 1 or 2 numbers out of all 10 sets. Mine on the otherhand was 100% correct and if I had played I would have been a multi millionaire. I never heard the end of it until I dumped her. I have played the lotto maybe 2 times since and this was years ago. I still believe it's a waste of money and my chances to do it again are slim to none. I'd have a better chance getting struck by lightening on a cloudless day with no wind skiing than win the lotto. My luck is horrible.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Funny but sad true story. I play the lotto rarely and was begged one night to play. I declined playing telling an ex it's a waste of money. I said pick your numbers and write them down on a piece of paper and I will do the same and we can see how much money we saved. She wrote down 10 sets of numbers and I wrote down 1 set because it was a waste of time. She may have gotten 1 or 2 numbers out of all 10 sets. Mine on the otherhand was 100% correct and if I had played I would have been a multi millionaire. I never heard the end of it until I dumped her. I have played the lotto maybe 2 times since and this was years ago. I still believe it's a waste of money and my chances to do it again are slim to none. I'd have a better chance getting struck by lightening on a cloudless day with no wind skiing than win the lotto. My luck is horrible.

Mine too, at least at winning things. :confused:

I have worked for a number of large companies where a few other employees and me were responsible for awarding prizes for one drawing or another........rigged every time.