PDA

View Full Version : Boom for Mini Tower on PS197

PendO
08-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Anyone out there ever used a tower boom for a 197 mini tower. I find one at the Barefoot International website (Tower Boom - W206 / W207 / W208) but I am wondering if anyone has personal experience ... I want to use it to teach my wife to ski, and I am sure I will use it to teach my kids to ski when they are old enough (2 years and 9 months is probably a bit young). TIA

MarkP
08-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Keep an eye on ebay or call BI looking for an imperfect one..

Jerseydave
08-05-2005, 08:47 AM
I don't think the tower boom has been out very long.....might be hard to find one used.
I looked into one for my 230, but the price stopped me. I bought a v-drive pylon mount instead. The boom-mount looked somewhat difficult to remove and install everytime while out on the water, needing 3 hands to grab 3 pins to unhook 2 support arms plus the boom itself.
Wouldn't be a problem on land, but I didn't want to ride around all day with the boom on the boat.

How often are you going to use a boom? If I were you, I would find a used pylon-mount. Should be plenty of them for sale.

PendO
06-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Well, I started this thread in August of 2005 ... decided to get a Boom for the Mini Tower on my PS 197 last week... thanks Jim@Baws, drop shipped to my office ... ready to get out on the 4th of July ... pics to follow:)

Got the W206

Hoosier Bob
06-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Did you get the classic windshield decals like me? :D

PendO
06-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Did you get the classic windshield decals like me? :D

Nope - Jim had it drop shipped from the BF Int. factory in Milwaukee, so I guess I will need to order a T-shirt or something and see if he can throw in some decals ... cause you know I want to be like you:) On the plus side, I did get a case of Old Mil thrown in http://www.oldmilwaukee.com/DownloadFiles/Bikini_800.bmp

Hoosier Bob
06-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Old Milkuakee! ;) Tommy likey! What's with the hair? 8p

Mag_Red
06-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Old Milkuakee! ;) Tommy likey! What's with the hair? 8pYou don't think the two on the left look some what masculine????

LakePirate
06-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Those three are as bad as the Old Man in a Can itself.

Wow. Those girls are from Waycross.

They look good Waycross the room.

(Waycross is a city in South Georgia in the middle of a swamp, if anyone ever needs to dump a body that is the place)

C36
06-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Well, I started this thread in August of 2005 ... decided to get a Boom for the Mini Tower on my PS 197 last week... thanks Jim@Baws, drop shipped to my office ... ready to get out on the 4th of July ... pics to follow:)

Got the W206

PendO - I also ordered a W206 for our X-5. We also picked it up mainly for teaching. Our children are seven and three. The thing I liked about the tower boom was it should not clutter up the inside of our small boat with a mount to the pylon - especially if it is mounted on the observer side (port side) of the boat. Our tower boom has been delivered, but will not be installed and put to use until mid-Aug. I would be interested to hear what you think of yours once you put it into service. :wavey: Hope your install and use go well.

Hoosier Bob
06-29-2006, 12:36 AM
I would not say masculine but the wigs are giving me the chillies!You don't think the two on the left look some what masculine????

PendO
06-29-2006, 02:48 AM
PendO - I also ordered a W206 for our X-5. We also picked it up mainly for teaching. Our children are seven and three. The thing I liked about the tower boom was it should not clutter up the inside of our small boat with a mount to the pylon - especially if it is mounted on the observer side (port side) of the boat. Our tower boom has been delivered, but will not be installed and put to use until mid-Aug. I would be interested to hear what you think of yours once you put it into service. :wavey: Hope your install and use go well.

my oldest (daughter) is 3, I am not sure if we can get her up on skis with the boom or not ... she wanted to get into the water last week when I was going in to slalom ... my son is 19 months so I will have to see if there is anything I can get him up on this year (probably not) ... I'm hoping to use it to help my wife learn to slalom and teach any friends how to ski ... also, I would like to barefoot off the boom (just to say I can:)) ... definitely will post pics and give some updates ... I know my barefoot suit from 10 years ago has no chance of fitting ... but I would think I can just wear a lifejacket and neprene shorts off the boom???? (or am I in for a world of hurt guys?)

sizzler
06-29-2006, 03:57 AM
if i'm in the mood for a bit of "showboating" i'll climb out on the boom as we are going along and foot in just shorts,or i'll swing out on the short line....but as for doing deep-starts......stick with the b/foot suit..it saves you the pain the following day... :toast:

jlf
06-29-2006, 11:23 AM
My friend has a mini tower on his 197 with the tower boom from BI, I have used it a couple of times to learn to barefoot off it. It seems very solid and has lots of adjustment capability. I might even be able to dig up some pictures if you want them. Last summer we took a friend out who had never been pulled behind a boat before, he really wanted to learn to ski so we started him out long line on two skies and well that didn't go so well so we put him on the boom and he had a blast. He was a grown man, I say 220 maybe and the boom worked just fine for him. He had a blast.

jlf
06-29-2006, 11:26 AM
my oldest (daughter) is 3, I am not sure if we can get her up on skis with the boom or not ... she wanted to get into the water last week when I was going in to slalom ... my son is 19 months so I will have to see if there is anything I can get him up on this year (probably not) ... I'm hoping to use it to help my wife learn to slalom and teach any friends how to ski ... also, I would like to barefoot off the boom (just to say I can:)) ... definitely will post pics and give some updates ... I know my barefoot suit from 10 years ago has no chance of fitting ... but I would think I can just wear a lifejacket and neprene shorts off the boom???? (or am I in for a world of hurt guys?)
I guess that depends some on how you start. Last summer I tried to learn to barefoot off the boom with a barefoot suit on, I was trying to learn the tumble up start and well I got my arse kicked. Even with the suit on I had bruises on my hips and legs. I guess I would say get a suit but that is just me, and well I never did make it up so I can't say I did it.

C36
06-29-2006, 03:12 PM
My friend has a mini tower on his 197 with the tower boom from BI, I have used it a couple of times to learn to barefoot off it. It seems very solid and has lots of adjustment capability. ...

Glad to hear this. :)

... Last summer we took a friend out who had never been pulled behind a boat before, he really wanted to learn to ski so we started him out long line on two skies and well that didn't go so well so we put him on the boom and he had a blast. He was a grown man, I say 220 maybe and the boom worked just fine for him. He had a blast.

Glad to hear this as well as we are also hoping to use ours for newbie skiers as well as the kids. Did your friend hold on to the boom directly or was he using a short rope with handle connected to the boom? :confused:

...I might even be able to dig up some pictures if you want them...

I would love to see some pictures - if it is not too much trouble. :rolleyes:

C36
06-29-2006, 03:19 PM
my oldest (daughter) is 3, I am not sure if we can get her up on skis with the boom or not ... she wanted to get into the water last week when I was going in to slalom ... my son is 19 months so I will have to see if there is anything I can get him up on this year (probably not) ...

PendO - not sure if you have seen this the "Let's see the kids" thread, but there are some great experiences/advise in that one. I posted a kneeboard experience my daughter had in a pool (see page 33) that might be of interest to you and your three year old. :)

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4620&highlight=kids

... definitely will post pics and give some updates ...

Great - look forward to seeing them! :banana:

jlf
07-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Here is the friend we tried to teach to ski long line first, with no success so we broke out the boom. He hung on directly to the boom. Here are some pictures, I tried to see if I had any pictures of the boom from off the boat so you could see how it looked but I don't think I do. This isn't my boat or boom it belongs to someone else.

jlf
07-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Here is another

jlf
07-03-2006, 01:50 PM
one more and last one

C36
07-12-2006, 08:45 PM
one more and last one

jlf - Looks like your efforts paid off. Your friend is up and skiing and looks like a happy camper! Thanks for posting the pictures. :)

C36
09-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Finally got a chance to use our tower boom and love it! Kids just pop up on skis, even if it is there first time out. The tower boom also kept the interior of the boat wide open and unrestricted. The hockey ball on the end of the boom was our add-on.