PDA

View Full Version : 81 SNS not firing HELP

81SNS
10-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I wanted to get one last run in this weekend before cold weather gets here, got to lake, shoved her off the trailer and it wouldnt crank, finally decided it wasnt firing, I can remove the coil wire going to the distributor and go to ground and no spark at all, I didnt have any tools or meter with me so I loaded her back up and came home, I installed a pertronix about 3 months ago with the flamethrower coil and it has performed great and has always cranked very good, I did install a depth finder about 2 weeks ago but I carried boat out and tested it after install and it ran great, I have disconnected the tach wire (i think, purple wire on pos. side of coil) and also ran a jumper wire from battery to pos. side of coil, neither helped, I do have voltage on both sides of the coil testing with a test light, my battery was dead in my meter I will pick one up today, any help in locating the problem is appreciated,:confused:

03geetee
10-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Just a guess neutral saftey switch ok? Sure the silver toggle is pulled out all the way?

JTR

81SNS
10-18-2011, 08:25 PM
As best I can tell they are working as supposed to, I am not a electrician,I have checked I have 10 volts on each side of coil

Jerseydave
10-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Does the rotor spin when engine is cranking? If not you may have sheared the pin on the bottom of the distributor gear.

IIRC, the dist side of the coil should have a pulse of voltage while engine is cranking, not steady voltage. (Maybe someone can else knows this for sure?)

81SNS
10-18-2011, 08:42 PM
the rotor is turning, and I just put the cover back on and came inside for the night, but while I was out there I seemed to be able to read continuity to ground with the negative battery cable removed through EVERYTHING that I put the probe on, positive terminals on switches, any wires anywhere, this doesnt seem right to me but it may be? I maybe alot of things but electrician I am not.

JimN
10-18-2011, 09:34 PM
I wanted to get one last run in this weekend before cold weather gets here, got to lake, shoved her off the trailer and it wouldnt crank, finally decided it wasnt firing, I can remove the coil wire going to the distributor and go to ground and no spark at all, I didnt have any tools or meter with me so I loaded her back up and came home, I installed a pertronix about 3 months ago with the flamethrower coil and it has performed great and has always cranked very good, I did install a depth finder about 2 weeks ago but I carried boat out and tested it after install and it ran great, I have disconnected the tach wire (i think, purple wire on pos. side of coil) and also ran a jumper wire from battery to pos. side of coil, neither helped, I do have voltage on both sides of the coil testing with a test light, my battery was dead in my meter I will pick one up today, any help in locating the problem is appreciated,:confused:

Stick a piece of wire into the coil and shove the other end into the distributor cap. If it runs, you need a new coil wire, or a whole new set. For some reason, I replaced a lot of coil wires on Ford engines, but not GM.

Points, or electronic ignition?

81SNS
10-18-2011, 10:53 PM
thanks Jim I will try that tomorrow, I have the ignitor II with flamethrower and has ran great previously

81SNS
10-21-2011, 08:48 AM
I tried replacing coil wire, but still didnt help, I talked to pertronix and they seem to think the module has failed.

81SNS
10-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Replaced pertronix module last night and it fired right up, I hope this was just a freak thing, I rechecked all wiring which is very simple and everything seems to all be in order....

thatsmrmastercraft
10-25-2011, 12:32 PM
I have never had to replace a Pertronix unit, but anything can fail. Glad to hear it is running again.