PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide you "must" winterize?

swardco
10-17-2011, 12:27 PM
It is getting to that time of year in Colorado. We might get close to freezing in the next couple nights.

I am still hoping to get a couple more weeks in before winterizing. The forecast low is 31 deg tonight, and 33 Tues night, then back to the 40s, I'll probably just pull it from the lake to home and put it in the garage for this little cold snap.

So 2 questions:

When do you worry about freeze damage for a boat outside? One night near freezing?

When do you just give up and winterize??

Meeker
10-17-2011, 12:31 PM
To me, the price of a new block is not worth the couple extra runs when the temp is 50s-60s.

Kevin 89MC
10-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I throw a 100W light bulb inside the engine compartment (making sure it is not near any rubber/plastic) and drain the block & heads dry. I do that for any night that is planning to get around 32. Like tonight :(
I've been caught off guard with a night that dipped to about 29, frost on the windshields & ground, but luckily no engine damage. Probably didn't get below freezing for long enough to freeze all the water. Or all the impurities lowered the freezingpoint of the water in the block. Regardless I got lucky and always am a bit overly cautious now.
Good luck,
Kevin

CantRepeat
10-17-2011, 01:29 PM
I throw a 100W light bulb inside the engine compartment (making sure it is not near any rubber/plastic) and drain the block & heads dry. I do that for any night that is planning to get around 32. Like tonight :(
I've been caught off guard with a night that dipped to about 29, frost on the windshields & ground, but luckily no engine damage. Probably didn't get below freezing for long enough to freeze all the water. Or all the impurities lowered the freezingpoint of the water in the block. Regardless I got lucky and always am a bit overly cautious now.
Good luck,
Kevin

Even a 40 or 60 watt bulb will work.

I use one even after I winterize if it's going to get in single digit numbers.

jwroblew
10-17-2011, 02:21 PM
In my experience, your mileage my very, it has to be cold for more than just one or two nights to be any concern. As long as it is getting into the 50's during the day you will be fine. I'll blow my heater core out though if it gets below freezing for more than 2 nights in a row. However, do whatever will make it easier for you to sleep at night. Try this experiment, take a bottle of water 1/4 to 1/2 full and put it in a car that is parked outside, in the morning see how much of it is frozen. You'll be surprised how cold it has to be at night before you see ice, and then think that this is just a thin plastic bottle, not a cast iron block.

nauti-dreamer
10-17-2011, 03:02 PM
I may be in the same boat (pun intended)! But i've never drained the block or heater core. Anyone got a thread link for me on how to drain both?

2007 PS 214 with 350 MCX

GoneBoatN
10-17-2011, 03:40 PM
I'll answer your question with a question. At what point do you want to risk it?

Speaking with my local mechanic, he said it has to hit freezing and stay below long enough. That makes sense as the block/engine will hold some heat for some time.

For me, if temps are hitting freezing (or near), it would be time.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-17-2011, 03:55 PM
You can stretch things a bit by running the engine on a hose to get it warmed up in the evening, then draining the block (and anything else that needs it), then hanging the trouble light with a 60 watt bulb. Another way to go is a quartz heater. Even the lowest setting will do the trick and you don't run the risk of the trouble light melting something. If you go the trouble light method, us a couple zip ties to secure both top and bottom.

davidstan
11-04-2011, 02:11 PM
is there a thread here on step by step instruction on draining block and hoses?

Hollywood
11-04-2011, 02:21 PM
The forecast low is 31 deg tonight, and 33 Tues night, then back to the 40s

you're fine. i've gone much colder, and longer than those temps.

ntidsl
11-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Drain the block, its easy. I drain mine every weekend after the 1st of October and have fro years...I sleep better. As far as using a lamp...that scares the crap out of me...big wind, it shifts and falls, the lamp shatters and gas fumes go up...or the foam on your engine cover sags onto it or whatever! or the electric goes out...

Cloaked
11-04-2011, 06:50 PM
is there a thread here on step by step instruction on draining block and hoses?At least 1000... :D

east tx skier
11-04-2011, 08:07 PM
is there a thread here on step by step instruction on draining block and hoses?

Winterization Checklist (http://tylerskiclub.com/winterization.html)

Dewinterization Checklist (www.tylerskiclub.com/dewinterization.html)

As for step-by-step, there are four plugs on an Indmar---two block plugs on either side of the block below the exhaust manifolds (the starboard plug is closer to the front than the one on the port side) and two 3/4" plugs on the exhaust risers under the rubber exhaust hoses. Using a ratchet or a wrench, remove the plugs. As for the hoses, use either a nut driver or a flat head screwdriver to loosen the hose clamp/worm gear. Then pull the hoses from whatever they're attached to. You can do fine doing this at the low point of the hose. But some hoses are a little more horizontal. So just make sure the water has a chance to escape.

call
11-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Here's the document I created for my MCX 350. Two cold winters later I've had no problems. Your results may vary. :)

phillywakeboarder
11-05-2011, 12:19 AM
I live in Philly and go through this every year. It sounds like you keep your boat in the water, as do I. For those initial cold nights, I think it's better to keep the boat in the water. Much better to be surrounded by 55 to 60 degree water than 30 degree air. With that said, I usually winterize the day before it's going to go below freezing at night, and then get mad when the following 2 saturdays are in the high 50s and low 60s. Like this weekend . . .