PDA

View Full Version : Indy 500 winner Wheldon dies in massive wreck

milkmania
10-16-2011, 09:14 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/indycar-driver-dan-wheldon-1318803621-slideshow/;_ylt=AiOvL0tE87sdzJ5w11OlAHz79XQA;_ylu=X3oDMTQ1Z3 ZocGUzBG1pdANBcnRpY2xlIFJlbGF0ZWQgTGVhZARwa2cDMjZm OWRlZWQtYmZkOC0zOGRhLWE2ODktNzFlZjRmYTAwMTRjBHBvcw MxBHNlYwNNZWRpYUFydGljbGVMZWFkBHZlcgNjMGZkOGYwMC1m ODQ1LTExZTAtOTRjZi03OGU3ZDE1ZTExYzA-;_ylg=X3oDMTJwdThrYjZqBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDZWVkYjBlOWMtODU5NC0zNGQ0LWE1MGUtMzFjYTcyOT YyMTIwBHBzdGNhdANzcG9ydHMEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdl;_ylv=3h ttp://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/09NAw2aVoCEbwuqRP1n8.A--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9NDU3O2NyPTE7Y3c9NjMwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD00NTc7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/152/2011/10/16/wheldon_222526.jpg

LAS VEGAS (AP) ó Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon died Sunday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway after his car became ensnarled in a fiery 15-car pileup, flew over another vehicle and landed in a catch fence just outside turn 2. The 33-year-old racer was a two-time Indy winner, including this year's race.

Despite winning this year's Indy 500, Wheldon couldn't put together a full-time ride this season. He landed in Sunday's race thanks to Bernard's promotion that promised $5 million to any moonlighting driver who could win the IndyCar season finale at Vegas. Although there were no takers, Bernard refused to scrap the idea and Wheldon was declared eligible for the prize.
It was Wheldon's 134th career start, but only the third of the season for the two-time Indianapolis 500 winner.

http://news.yahoo.com/indy-500-winner-wheldon-dies-massive-wreck-225619226.html

Jerseydave
10-16-2011, 09:50 PM
I just saw the replay of that wreck.....this is a very sad day for Indycar racing. :(
My thoughts and prayers go out to Dan Weldon's family and friends.

DooSPX
10-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Watched the race... May God be with Dan and his family/friends. :( He will truly be missed, he was a great man and a great racer. Having met Dan and given the great opportunity have a few conversation with him at the GP of St. Pete, I can say that he will be dearly missed in my family. :(:(

CantRepeat
10-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Meh, he's not an American what do I care? Should have been racing in some UK circuit or buying some Latino cereal.

DooSPX
10-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Meh, he's not an American what do I care? Should have been racing in some UK circuit or buying some Latino cereal.

Are you being F'ing serious???? He was still a good man!! He wasn't a damned terrorist or towel head, he wasn't a illegal mexican/cuban/hattion/etc. He was an american citizen, and he just had a new baby in March for God sakes!!!

milkmania
10-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Are you being F'ing serious????

from what I've seen..... I figure he is

LakeWorth
10-16-2011, 10:18 PM
This is such a tragedy and a shame. It really is sad.

My prayers are for his wife and 2 sons.

Slinkyredfoot
10-16-2011, 10:22 PM

This kind of comment wants to make me throw up, your a jerk ahole. What a horrible, insensitive comment you have made here, blow it out your a$$ pal. I knew the man and his wife, what a wonderful family man and driver he was. Such a shame a such a loss. With comments like this, makes me unhappy you own a MasterCraft and are on this site. See ya chump.

DooSPX
10-16-2011, 10:28 PM
This kind of comment wants to make me throw up, your a jerk ahole. What a horrible, insensitive comment you have made here, blow it out your a$$ pal. I knew the man and his wife, what a wonderful family man and driver he was. Such a shame a such a loss. With comments like this, makes me unhappy you own a MasterCraft and are on this site. See ya chump.

I have to agree! Dan was a great man! I have never had a run in with CantRepeat, and always like him, but this insensitive comment completely changed my mind. Un-F'ing-Believable. :mad::mad::mad:

Double D
10-16-2011, 10:34 PM

CantRepeat really is a heartless a$$. I actually gave him the benefit of the doubt once when he crapped on me. Now he has proven my initial opinion was correct.

RIP Wheldon.

CantRepeat
10-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Meh, you guys are all up in arms about a guy you never knew, never gave a **** about until he purchased some bilingual puffs at $20 bucks a box. I'm just letting milkmania know he cant have it bother ways.

DooSPX
10-16-2011, 10:50 PM
If you would have read, Slinky knew Dan and his wife/children. I have talked to Dan on multiple occasions.... He is not a terrorist, he has never hurt anyone.... We are "up in arms" because we are human and actually have a heart, and care about people besides ourselves.

Get a heart for **** sakes man :mad::mad:

I have an idea, go join our POS so called "president", or should I say terrorist, because he doesn't give a **** about YOU or anyone else but himself.

CantRepeat
10-16-2011, 10:51 PM
from what I've seen..... I figure he is

hahah, you're the entire reason for my post. What the hell do you care?

CantRepeat
10-16-2011, 11:01 PM
If you would have read, Slinky knew Dan and his wife/children. I have talked to Dan on multiple occasions.... He is not a terrorist, he has never hurt anyone.... We are "up in arms" because we are human and actually have a heart, and care about people besides ourselves.

Get a heart for **** sakes man :mad::mad:

I have an idea, go join our POS so called "president", or should I say terrorist, because he doesn't give a **** about YOU or anyone else but himself.

I'll give him a call on Monday. I'm too busy buying up all the bilingual cereal right now. :D

ski_king
10-16-2011, 11:17 PM
My prayers go out to Dan's family and friends. While I never spoke with Dan, we did have some mutual friends who spoke highly of him.

DooSPX
10-16-2011, 11:39 PM
My prayers go out to Dan's family and friends. While I never spoke with Dan, we did have some mutual friends who spoke highly of him.

Dan truly was a great man! While on the track, he was a focused competitor, off track, he was a loving and caring man!

Ironically, he was testing the new IRL cars for 2012 which have greatly improved safety, and had nothing but great things to say about the new designs. One of the most notable new features is a rear brace, similar to a bumper to help with the problem of cars getting launched off the rear. What happened on the track today was he got into the rear of another car, which launched him into the air at 220+ mph. He went cockpit first into the catch fence.

h2oskiluvr
10-16-2011, 11:39 PM

Get a clue dumb ***. What a stupid comment.

stars83stripes
10-17-2011, 02:56 AM
Knee jerk reactions run rampant through this site. Another thread involving such reactions as they relate to Kellogg's Frosted Flakes was the basis for the "insensitive" comment.

FYI, people. Calling names does you no better than the guy you want to "shame" for his comments.

Keep it up, someone might take notice that you care. After all, this is the internet.

CantRepeat
10-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Knee jerk reactions run rampant through this site. Another thread involving such reactions as they relate to Kellogg's Frosted Flakes was the basis for the "insensitive" comment.

FYI, people. Calling names does you no better than the guy you want to "shame" for his comments.

Keep it up, someone might take notice that you care. After all, this is the internet.

I guess milkmania just kind missed it and then figured he could redirect by trying to play that I was in fact serious.

The accident was tragic to say the least. Hopefully, the IRL will do more to make open wheel racing safer.

DooSPX
10-17-2011, 09:53 AM
The accident was tragic to say the least. Hopefully, the IRL will do more to make open wheel racing safer.

Ironically, he was testing the new IRL cars for 2012 which have greatly improved safety, and had nothing but great things to say about the new designs. One of the most notable new features is a rear brace, similar to a bumper to help with the problem of cars getting launched off the rear. What happened on the track today was he got into the rear of another car, which launched him into the air at 220+ mph. He went cockpit first into the catch fence.

^^^^^^^^^- This

They are making many safety advances on the new 2012 season IRL cars. Bad things happen VERY quickly when you cover the length of a football field in less than a second.

scott023
10-17-2011, 10:08 AM
RIP Dan Wheldon. Seemed like a real class act, and was a hell of a driver to boot. Prayers are with his family.

ahhudgins
10-18-2011, 12:40 AM
ESPN talked with Dan in his car during the warm up period and he sounded like a great guy. The eerie thing is that ESPN was viewing Danís onboard camera at the onset of the crash and switched back to the wide-angle view of the track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMqd_ji1fg&feature=related

As far as safety goes, at those speeds there is only so much you can do when things go wrong. I know he died doing what he loved, but it was horrible to go out that way in front of his family and his fans. R.I.P.

scott023
10-18-2011, 02:02 AM
ESPN talked with Dan in his car during the warm up period and he sounded like a great guy. The eerie thing is that ESPN was viewing Danís onboard camera at the onset of the crash and switched back to the wide-angle view of the track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMqd_ji1fg&feature=related

As far as safety goes, at those speeds there is only so much you can do when things go wrong. I know he died doing what he loved, but it was horrible to go out that way in front of his family and his fans. R.I.P.

Very well stated.