PDA

View Full Version : lift motor

mbeach
10-16-2011, 03:21 PM
i have not used my lift in 8 months due to low water levels at lake. anyway, just thought i would be sure still working and low and behold all it would do is whine under power. quickly took power off the motor and was able to turn drive shaft with pliers. anyway, it broke free with a crunching noise and i decided to put power to it. worked and put out a lot of dust/dirt. tried the other direction and just whined. then i saw a dirt dobber climb out of the housing. my guess is that the beast set up house keeping inside my motor and thus my problem. called the manufacturer of lift (doozi) and he said to take down and hose out the motor. then blow it out with compressor. lastly, wd40 the contacts on the opposite side of the drive shaft. said he does this with his motor when dobbers invade. why do i think this is not a good idea? i am inclined to blow it out with compressor and if not fixed, maybe taking off housing to get any residue trash out. if not fixed, the take to motor shop and let them diagnose and clean. current was not on long enough to burn anyting up. thoughts????

mbeach
11-03-2011, 04:56 PM
all right all you nuts and bolt guys, any suggestions. found a replacement motor for $180 so i think i will go that route if i cannot fix in 4 hrs or less.

gotta_ski
11-03-2011, 05:06 PM
I'd hose/blow it out first like the guy said. Taking off the cover you may be able to see what's going on inside there. I'd try before dismantling the thing and taking it to a shop.

mbeach
11-06-2011, 05:03 PM
repaired lift motor today. hardest part was removing belt pully and had to buy a wheel puller. forget home depot and lowes since all you will get is the deer in the headlights look. anyway, those darn dobbers had set up a hilton hotel inside the lift motor. did not use water but removed the ends and armature being careful to avoid the start capacitor. had to scrape quite a bit with sharp probe, screwdriver, and blunt plastic probe being careful not to damage wiring. blew out residue with compressor, sprayed contact cleaner, and reassembled. getting the brushes to align was a bit tricky. powered it up and the baby screams. saved $180 because i was prepared to buy new motor (closed system). will not remount until lake level comes back up so i can put boat on lift. in the future, i will cover the motor if not used for extensive periods. will also put masking tape over the cooling vents if lift not used in a week or so. now, it's miller time.