PDA

View Full Version : Winterization of 8.1L Indmar SS

goebelt
10-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Does anyone have photos and directions explaining how to winterize a Indmar 8.1 SS??

mikeg205
10-16-2011, 10:12 PM
check the www.indmar.com for engine manual..

goebelt
10-21-2011, 12:14 AM
They have nothing. Even talked to them on the phone and they were no help. Anyone else have any ideas

rgardjr1
10-21-2011, 10:03 AM
They have nothing. Even talked to them on the phone and they were no help. Anyone else have any ideas

Here is the page in the Indmar 2003 and up operators manual that talks about winterizing a closed cooled engine. Pretty similar to what I do to my SS with a 5.7 Crusader. First time I did mine I pulled the wrong plug on the heat exchanger and dump out all the anti-freeze. Good luck!

rhsprostar
10-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Not 100% on the 8.1 but on my LQ9 with closed cooling it is really simple.

Heat Exchanger
You have to drain the heat exchanger which is usually the two plugs on each end of exchanger. I take them out and put them in a ziploc on the steeringwheel with the hull drain plug. If you get the wrong one you will drain your antifreeze which is a bad thing.

Manifolds
In order to drain the manifolds there is a connector between two hoses coming of the back of the manifolds. It's a garden hose connection and can be done by hand. I usuually leave them hanging into the bilge so an excess water will drain when I move it to storage.

Tranny Cooler
Remove the hose that goes into the tranny cooler(looks like a little heat exchanger) and make sure an water is drained from that and check for weeds blocking the screen at the same time. I leave it off as well, for draining purposes.

Other
I take off the hose coming off the raw water impeller and drain any water as well just because it's easy. I usually put that hose back immediately.

Coolant
I check the condition of the antifreeze with a hydrometer that I bought at autozone which is specific for GLYCOL type antifreeze which I think all Indmar motors come with. It is always good to -40 or so.

That's basically it. It's nice not having to worry about the motor or heater because they are full of antifreeze anyway.

Basically that's it.....If you have a heater you don't need to worry about it because it is full of antifreeze , not water(love that part) Normally closed cooled engines do not have showers but if yours does,you have to drain any water in the system.

Also I don't have any ballast but if you do you have to drain that as well.

I also fog the motor. Some people do, some don't, it's easy so I do it...why not.