PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Voyage Issues: Help Please w/ 197

holdenh2o
10-15-2011, 08:25 PM
As you may know, I bought a (day old to me) 2005 PS197TT. As you could imagine, I was excited. Towed to Lake Austin, and put her in. Idled out past "no wake" buoys and hit the gas. Got on plane and immediately the "check engine" alarm sounds. Of course, I pulled back and immediately look at gauges. Gauges look good. Opened engine compartment and it sounds fine (minus alarm). I do notice quite a bit of water (yes, plug is in:)). Close cover and try to accelerate back to dock - nothing. It did let me limp in, but that was it. So, all in all, spent close to 4 hrs on the road and at the ramp, less than 15 minutes on my new boat. You guys' help would be really appreciated right now. I know I'll have more questions, but this one is pressing.

CantRepeat
10-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Did you not take it for a test drive before you put down your cash?

skijwr
10-15-2011, 09:22 PM
First thing I would check is the impeller. should be 4 screws on the cover. its in front of the belt. if it fails, the engine gets hot and sounds alarm. Just first thing to check. I think other things will also trip the alarm. So the temp gauge was normal?

holdenh2o
10-15-2011, 09:45 PM
no, I didn't test drive. Bought from dealer and he put in the water tank; no issues there. I called and they said bring it in. Just looking for some ideas before it goes back to dealer.

I felt the water pump and it was cool. Temp was normal.

Again, all fine and a few minutes later the alarm.

mikeg205
10-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Hope its something simple...the computer will tell.

macattack
10-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Out of the 2005 Owner's Manual p. 6-1:

Making Use of the Multi-Function Gauge
...the multi-function gauge also displays several alarms. The following messages will be displayed if an alarm occurs:
VOLT = Below 11.5 volts
OIL = Oil is below 4 p.s.i. when the R.P.M. is below 1000 R.P.M. or the oil pressure is below 10 p.s.i. and above 1000 R.P.M.
TEMP = High engine temperature alarm
TRAN = Transmission alarm

macattack
10-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the site! Any pics of your "new" boat??

There are several 2005 TT owners, to include me, who post often on this site. Keep us in the loop on your issue and we will try to hlep out! mac

02ProstarSammyD
10-16-2011, 07:12 PM
TT in gen discussion is his new boat. If it were me and I didn't have it checked out before I bought it I would have it run over fully now. I would have everything picked apart and that gives you the winter to deal with the issues. I had the same probs on my maiden and spent a long time chasing a loose wire on the fuel pump.

woobiedmd
10-16-2011, 07:44 PM
TT in gen discussion is his new boat. If it were me and I didn't have it checked out before I bought it I would have it run over fully now. I would have everything picked apart and that gives you the winter to deal with the issues. I had the same probs on my maiden and spent a long time chasing a loose wire on the fuel pump.
Side bar- are you still trying to sell your boat or do you have a winter's reprive?

02ProstarSammyD
10-16-2011, 08:49 PM
^meh probably not selling. If I do it will be after I get her up to 100% restored after the winter unless I had a tasty offer that is. I really want a smaller boat but who know.

holdenh2o
10-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Dealer said they will pick it up from my storage and get on it this week. So far, that's all I could ask for.

Sodar
10-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Probably just a low voltage alarm. Don't stress. In my opinion, this is the biggest problem with the older Multi Function Gauge. It gives you no reason for the alarm... just the alarm.

I am sure the dealer will get you fixed up in no time.

holdenh2o
10-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Hope you're right, Sodar. Appreciate the positive words.

macattack
10-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Probably just a low voltage alarm. Don't stress. In my opinion, this is the biggest problem with the older Multi Function Gauge. It gives you no reason for the alarm... just the alarm.

I am sure the dealer will get you fixed up in no time.

I believe the multifunction gauge will show either Volt, Oil, Temp, Tran when the alarm goes off; but unfortunately, in our haste to turn the engine off, we normally forget to check the gauge and the codes/words do not reappear if you turn your engine back on unless the alarm resets??? mac

holdenh2o
10-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Mac. I looked, and believe me, all I saw was check engine. Nothing else. Unless I have to push a button somewhere that's all it said.

holdenh2o
10-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Ok. Update on the boat taking water - said it was the sealant around the through bolts to the deck. Said there were 6 and 4 were leaking. Replaced sealant around all 6. Does this sound plausible? Anyway, they are headed to the lake tomorrow to replicate the alarm issue.

Sodar
10-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Mac. I looked, and believe me, all I saw was check engine. Nothing else. Unless I have to push a button somewhere that's all it said.

That is all I have ever seen also. If what mac says really happens, that is a step in the right direction

ap77
10-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Good luck man - we feel your frustration. Let us know how it turns out...

mikeg205
10-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Hope its less goofy an issue as my 2001 mercedes c320..the other day I turned the engine over and it raced up to 4500 rpms... issue? worn throttle actuator...can't complain 130K miles plus years..$550...the entire gas pedal assembly had to be replaced... $500 stung a bit... but glad it wasn't ECM...

east tx skier
10-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Are all the engine and manifold drain plugs in? All the hoses attached. Boat may have been drained and not put back together before delivery. Just going off your "lots of water in bilge" statement.

macattack
10-19-2011, 08:39 AM

Nope, no buttons to push...the words will appear in the window on the multifunction gauge

Ok. Update on the boat taking water - said it was the sealant around the through bolts to the deck. Said there were 6 and 4 were leaking. Replaced sealant around all 6. Does this sound plausible? Anyway, they are headed to the lake tomorrow to replicate the alarm issue.

There are several "through bolts" in the hull...rudder box, strut and the 3 fins. I believe the strut has 8 bolts and the rudder box and fins have 4 each. I would be surprised if any of them were that loose to cause "lots of water in the bilge." If they were that loose, I guess it would beg the question was something replaced and why. As a reference, after 2 hrs on the water/4 sets through the course, we probably have no more than a cup or two of water in the bilge.

ntidsl
10-19-2011, 09:03 AM
2005 TT 197 owner here...I dont think a bilge with water would cause the boat to limp in. I have a strong feeling that a block plug or the manifold hoses weren't connected. The boat was probably drained. or maybe even no impeller installed? I'm not sure.

Hey...BTW...I'm #69...macattack is on here and ncsone ( or something like that ) is a 2005 TT owner too. Welcome!

Great ski boat!

holdenh2o
10-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Dealer called re: acceleration issue. Said there's a sensor in the throttle assembly gone bad. They have ordered a brand new one and it'll be here Friday. Anyway, sure glad I bought from dealer.

CantRepeat
10-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Dealer called re: acceleration issue. Said there's a sensor in the throttle assembly gone bad. They have ordered a brand new one and it'll be here Friday. Anyway, sure glad I bought from dealer.

That's some sweet news! Glad it work out for you.

holdenh2o
10-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Glad to know others; I'm new so learning.

I have told the dealer to keep as long as needed to get right. Sure, I'd like my boat back, but if the leaking and acceleration issues are cleaned up, I'm good with that. I'll keep you guys updated.

mikeg205
10-19-2011, 07:31 PM

weird...accelerator sensor on your boat and my car...hope its cheaper than my fix...

holdenh2o
10-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Won't cost me a dime.:)

mikeg205
10-19-2011, 09:01 PM
outstanding...!!!

holdenh2o
10-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Dealer called and said lake tested today. Said running super strong.

When I bought it, there were a couple of spider cracks and a couple of rashes on the gelcoat; said he would have it ready by Monday or Tuesday. :)

macattack
10-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Great news! See if dealer will give you your original throttle assembly; we would be interested to see a picture of the inside of that part and what "sensor" went bad; haven't taken that apart yet! mac

Jerseydave
10-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Sounds like the TPS went bad (throttle position sensor)

You should run it for a while when they are done just to verify everything is ok, then winterize.
Sounds like a sweet prostar.....lets see some pics! :D

macattack
11-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Dealer called and said lake tested today. Said running super strong.

When I bought it, there were a couple of spider cracks and a couple of rashes on the gelcoat; said he would have it ready by Monday or Tuesday. :)

Any updates???

holdenh2o
11-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Update: Picked it up 2 weeks ago and have yet to have her out - gonna try this weekend, then winterize. Funny thing, I've had it close to a month and have yet to really get her out on the water.

The gelcoat looks great - they repaired all spider cracks (about 4 areas) and it came out fantastic. They replaced the whole throttle body assembly (they ended up going to Texas Ski Ranch for the part). They re-sealed the thru bolts on the swim platform brackets. Replaced the ignition bc the boat only came with 1 key (now have two).

Very pleased with service after sale. Sail and ski was very helpful and they were very apologetic.

Hopefully I can get out ths weekend before have to put her up for the winter.

macattack
11-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Super news...always great to hear when the dealer makes it right!

mikeg205
12-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Update: Picked it up 2 weeks ago and have yet to have her out - gonna try this weekend, then winterize. Funny thing, I've had it close to a month and have yet to really get her out on the water.

The gelcoat looks great - they repaired all spider cracks (about 4 areas) and it came out fantastic. They replaced the whole throttle body assembly (they ended up going to Texas Ski Ranch for the part). They re-sealed the thru bolts on the swim platform brackets. Replaced the ignition bc the boat only came with 1 key (now have two).

Very pleased with service after sale. Sail and ski was very helpful and they were very apologetic.

Hopefully I can get out ths weekend before have to put her up for the winter.

Did you get a chance to get her on the water?

holdenh2o
12-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Unfortunately, no. I tried one last time, but all the ramps "I thought" would be open, were in fact closed. Even rhough theres a little rain lately, south Texas lakes are still low. Winterized and put up. Now the wait.

oldairboater
12-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Sucks. It would drive me nuts to buy a boat and not get to run it before winterizing. You could have came down here. We have several rivers that we don't have to worry about drought---just flushing out all the brackish water.

KurtG 05 X30
08-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Did you ever get your problem resolved? I have the same problem on my 05 x-30. I've been in the shop for 8 weeks and $3300 with no end in sight. Replaced ECM and TAC modules. Nothing has helped.