PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cover Vent

440brew
10-15-2011, 10:34 AM
I had all my interior redone and the only thing that didnt look good was the vent/drink holder on the back of the engine cover. I did not find many options to make it better, paint, and a re-skin was not the best idea in my oponion. So I took a visit to my buddy who has a fabrication shop. He used his laser jet and software to cut a piece out of metal to the exact specs need. I now has MC as the vent hole, three drink holders and uses the stock bolt locations topped off with black powder coat.

I am extremely happy with this to say the least. It is a real focal point for the interior...

What ya'll think.... below is before and afters....

Bert
10-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Nice solution

mikeg205
10-15-2011, 11:43 AM
looks great...will have to remember this when mine comes due

thatsmrmastercraft
10-15-2011, 01:06 PM
That looks fantastic.

Jeffer
10-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Good option - I just posted the other day a question about what anyone might've done to solve this, I had the same issue with my 96 Prostar 190 (big refurb project with this piece looking like crap).
This might be the way to go. My brother works in a machine shop and I'm going to ask his suggestions too. Maybe if I'm lucky (and he's done this before), he'll volunteer to take a shot at fabricating something too. Gives him a lot of pride!

mikeg205
10-15-2011, 10:07 PM
hey 440...might something you can sell on ebay...I am sure others have same demand....I would put that on my boat...

440brew
10-15-2011, 11:14 PM
I will ask him if he is interested making/selling them. There are many mastercrafts that can use this part.

I am sure the more interest from the forum the more he might be interesed....

curtish
10-16-2011, 01:49 AM
Is there room to put a fourth cup holder? Would be another nice upgrade.

Cloaked
10-16-2011, 07:43 AM
I will ask him if he is interested making/selling them. There are many mastercrafts that can use this part.

Another interest.

That looks nice right like it is. I have a 93 that has the same setup and need.

Consider a group buy (not for the reduction in costs) and he may have a small market for a one-time production run over the winter. This is a good thing... Your mod looks great.

Personalization on the backsplash part may be of interest if he has an easy way for laser cuts.

jethrobandit
10-23-2011, 09:59 PM

I am definitely interested in purchasing one if he will make them. Just bought a '95 205 and that piece is in desperate need of replacing. Been looking all over the net until I saw this thread.

Kyle
10-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Nice fab work.

Guys keep in mind the 91-94 boats have a different mounting than this style. I want to research it more. It may require drilling. I'm interested but am going to look at my style vs yours.

Cloaked
10-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Nice fab work.

Guys keep in mind the 91-94 boats have a different mounting than this style. I want to research it more. It may require drilling. I'm interested but am going to look at my style vs yours.Interesting. I would not have suspected they changed the mounting configuration. Keep the thread posted of your research please.

LittleFuss
03-14-2012, 03:41 PM
I need one of those bad

SkiDog
03-14-2012, 04:01 PM
I need one of those bad

I might can be of service. I've just cut out and fabbed up a few of these for people on here. Problem is, some are different than others. The ones (and i did both) that I personally have, the sides on the bottom piece and the top piece are the same width. But on some of the others, the sides taper in about 1 1/2". see below pics and tell me which one yours looks like. Then we can take it from there.
The top pic is my original.
2nd pic is original one rebuilt using plywood. Notice the piece of the top part. That piece will be covered in vinyl and have embroidered 'MASTERCRAFT" on it. It mounts from the backside.
3rd pic is almost complete without the insert added yet.
4th pic is the one where the sides taper in a bit. It also does not have any screw holes in the top part, as mine does. It may have been screwed in from the backside. I don't know.

DooSPX
03-16-2012, 09:36 AM
looks great Eddie, I would love to see it after the MC embroidery is complete!

LittleFuss
03-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Yes mine has the taper...

SkiDog
05-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Here is an almost completed unit. I still gotta sand it down, get the pencil marks off, sand & seal, then urethane it. I took a damp rag and wet this one down to give a finished effect. Looking pretty damn good if I do say so Myself. Built 4 of these Suckers today.
Tomorrow I will finish sand, sand & seal, then urethane 3 coats with Satin finish.

Cloaked
05-19-2012, 09:54 PM
I'll put my order in while you're in the mood, right now. The replacemnt plastic is not available, so this will work very well for my machine's engine cover. Nice looking work SkiDog. I especially like the vent cover. Please put me on your list.

SkiDog
05-19-2012, 09:55 PM
I'll put my order in while you're in the mood, right now. The replacemnt plastic is not available, so this will work very well for my machine's engine cover. Nice looking work SkiDog. I especially like the vent cover. Please put me on your list.

You're officially on it now! Thanks!

charrison327
05-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Looks Great SkiDog!!! Can't wait to get mine back from you.....outstanding

BrooksfamX2
05-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Very nice!!

SkiDog
05-21-2012, 08:09 PM
OK, here is the finished product. These look damn good if I say so myself. I've got some more boards rough cut for anybody else needing one. $180.00 plus shipping. The original plastic ones are no longer available and if they were, they'd cost about $200.00. These are a lot stronger and will last forever. 2 coats of sand and sealer, and 3 coats of satin finish urethane, on top of antique walnut.

mikeg205
05-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Hey those are really...kinda of carrying the teak swim deck motif into the boat....nice... SKidog

SkiDog
05-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Hey those are really...kinda of carrying the teak swim deck motif into the boat....nice... SKidog

But they are not teak. NO maintenance on these what so ever!

mikeg205
05-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Still really cool....

charrison327
05-24-2012, 08:01 PM
got mine in from SkiDog today! Pictures don't do it justice. Look for pics to follow after I install tomorrow

LittleFuss
05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Got mine on last night...Cupholes on the box did not match up perfectly but nothing my jigsaw could not handle in about 30 seconds...Love Love Love it...Wife loves it too...That cupholder had become the bane of here existence this year...Gonna ship skidog the old one as a template...

ZachDaddy
05-25-2012, 09:22 AM
I did this to mine, I removed the black plastic vent and replaced it with a chrome metal piece....It's looks great with the sun pad back on...no pic thru

LittleFuss
05-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Here it is installed with a cold beverage accessory...Took her out for a spin earlier. Transmission problems seemed to be resolved...ran her hard for 30 minutes, no warning lights no hiccups...Ready for Memorial Day weekend...

LittleFuss
05-25-2012, 04:05 PM
there forgot to upload pic

SkiDog
05-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Looks great littlefuss! I like the black drink holders. I got my boat back today and the first thing I did was mount my drink holder. Fit like a glove! I screwed mine in from the back. That was pretty simple to do.

Philscbx
05-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Not sure, but maybe there is space to make a tip out padded cell phone storage with tap to stereo.
Seem the gals only sit back there, and I end up trashing the stereo bin up front with requests to have their iPhone/iTouch tapped in, being there's always stuff in the way up front, and tangle of cords.
Now they could do it all from the rear seat, and I can just drive.

Plus. who doesn't need their iPad stuff charged.
The iPad I have, has lake navigation to see exactly where we need to be at night to make it into hard to find water ways.
So much nicer than trying to view a cell phone map.

SkiDog
05-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Not sure, but maybe there is space to make a tip out padded cell phone storage with tap to stereo.
Seem the gals only sit back there, and I end up trashing the stereo bin up front with requests to have their iPhone/iTouch tapped in, being there's always stuff in the way up front, and tangle of cords.
Now they could do it all from the rear seat, and I can just drive.

Plus. who doesn't need their iPad stuff charged.
The iPad I have, has lake navigation to see exactly where we need to be at night to make it into hard to find water ways.
So much nicer than trying to view a cell phone map.

So why don't you use bluetooth on your stereo? No wires!

charrison327
05-29-2012, 11:09 PM
added stainless cupholders to mine and i love it. got a lot of compliments on it too. everyone loved it. Thanks SkiDog!! It's awesome.

SkiDog
05-30-2012, 07:36 AM
added stainless cupholders to mine and i love it. got a lot of compliments on it too. everyone loved it. Thanks SkiDog!! It's awesome.

WOW, those stainless cupholders really set it off! Glad you like it! I've got several more pieces that are ready to be patterned, so anyone in need of one, let me know.

charrison327
05-30-2012, 09:31 AM
yeah, i tried a white one and a black one, but just didn't do it for me like those stainless ones. I think it's awesome and better than original by a long shot. MC should have came up with that on their own a long time ago

Cloaked
05-30-2012, 07:36 PM
SkiFrog, those engine cover vent / holders look really nice and the stainless does compliment your work. I look forward to getting mine when we meet up at your shindig.

Thanks.

TayMC197
05-30-2012, 10:33 PM
I need one for my old boat. The guy who bought it keeps nagging about it.

SkiDog
05-31-2012, 07:45 AM
I need one for my old boat. The guy who bought it keeps nagging about it.

Hey dumba$$, check out post 31.:rolleyes:

TayMC197
06-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Hey dumba$$, check out post 31.:rolleyes:

I saw post 31... That motor cover looks filthy... I would suggest a bath for that boat.

milkmania
06-04-2012, 09:28 PM
here ya go Eddie

SkiDog
06-04-2012, 09:28 PM
I just got Cloaked's put together tonight. What a beauty! Haven't urethaned it yet, just wet it with a cloth to bring out the colors. WOW!

charrison327
06-05-2012, 06:29 AM
That's some pretty work there SkiDog. Been forgetting to measure the diameter of my pylon. Have you had a chance to see about making those other cup holders?

hewlett6621
07-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Hi I have just insulated my engine box and made a timber vent cup holder that turned out alsome . My question is do I really need to put the vent in as it looks so good with out one. I have noticed that some engine boxes have them and some don't . What is the vents purpose ,to let heat out and in turn engine noise. Can I just use the blower to move the air to the Vents in the back of the boat. The boat is a 1997 Prostar 205 with a 350 tbi engine. Please let me know your thoughts before I cut a hole into this beautiful piece or timber.

SkiDog
07-13-2012, 07:02 PM
That's some pretty work there SkiDog. Been forgetting to measure the diameter of my pylon. Have you had a chance to see about making those other cup holders?

No. I would like to do some, but I gotta get some people wanting them before i make them. Besides, I tried to cut off two fingers with my table saw a couple of weeks ago, and haven't been able to do anything since then. Stitches are out now, so maybe I can get back to working on some projects soon.

SkiDog
07-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Hi I have just insulated my engine box and made a timber vent cup holder that turned out alsome . My question is do I really need to put the vent in as it looks so good with out one. I have noticed that some engine boxes have them and some don't . What is the vents purpose ,to let heat out and in turn engine noise. Can I just use the blower to move the air to the Vents in the back of the boat. The boat is a 1997 Prostar 205 with a 350 tbi engine. Please let me know your thoughts before I cut a hole into this beautiful piece or timber.

YES! You need the vent in there. lets see a picture of yours motorbox drinkholder.

hewlett6621
07-13-2012, 08:02 PM
81479 I just need to source a vent not as easy as it sounds.Can you give me places i can try. I love the design you have. I would ideally like one in black to match my color scheme.

Cloaked
07-13-2012, 08:16 PM
81479 I just need to source a vent not as easy as it sounds.Can you give me places i can try. I love the design you have. I would ideally like one in black to match my color scheme.

http://www.rexmar.com/page26.html

hewlett6621
07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks cloaked that large oval vent will look sweet.

charrison327
07-15-2012, 05:22 PM
No. I would like to do some, but I gotta get some people wanting them before i make them. Besides, I tried to cut off two fingers with my table saw a couple of weeks ago, and haven't been able to do anything since then. Stitches are out now, so maybe I can get back to working on some projects soon.

Sounds good! Glad you didn't cut them off, that would have sucked bad

SkiDog
07-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks cloaked that large oval vent will look sweet.

Thats the ones I put on all the vent covers I made. What kind of wood is that that you used? Looks good!

hewlett6621
07-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Thats the ones I put on all the vent covers I made. What kind of wood is that that you used? Looks good!

It is Blackbutt an austrailian hardwood, it is used a lot as a flooring timber. I am very happy with the result. Thanks for the idea they are beautiful. When I showed my wife the ones you made she had to have one. It is such a big improvement over the plastic one. This site is just so much fun and my boat is getting better and better. Thanks to everybody keep up the good work I am addicted.

SkiDog
01-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Here's one i'm doing for TxsRiverRat. I wet it with a damp cloth to show the colors. its gonna look better than this when completely finished/

Cloaked
01-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Here's one i'm doing for TxsRiverRat. I wet it with a damp cloth to show the colors. its gonna look better than this when completely finished/
Good looking deliverable Eddie. You do good work. I like the one I have and I'm working on fitting it on the engine cover this weekend. I hope it will fit with the new skins.

Great work.

SkiDog
01-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Good looking deliverable Eddie. You do good work. I like the one I have and I'm working on fitting it on the engine cover this weekend. I hope it will fit with the new skins.

Great work.

these new cup holders are slightly bigger than my hole saw. What a biotch to make them work!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-17-2013, 09:31 PM
TxsRiverRat is gonna have a very nice 205 when he's done with this resto.

bsloop
02-13-2013, 02:50 PM
I like the cleaner lines of 440brew and milkmania.

Any more install pics from you two or others?
440brew, any concerns of the metal digging into vinyl? What kind of metal? Flow jet work with a press break bend?
Milkmania, clean look. Did you do some fill in reinforcement before covering?

I have a 91' Maristar 240sc w/ 454. Vent / cup holder is rectangular like 440brew.
We are a party boat so the motor cover does get used as a dance platform and the cup holder is stepped on as much as I try to keep people from not using it as a step. Durability is an issue.

Jorski
02-14-2013, 10:30 AM
I had a different solution to this problem.

Now, my part was in good condition, but it was the wrong color when I redid my interior. I tried using vinyl paint from an automotive store. It worked perfectly. Looks like it was always that coloor and looks fresh and new.

So far it has held up perfectly for two years.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-14-2013, 11:49 AM
I had a different solution to this problem.

Now, my part was in good condition, but it was the wrong color when I redid my interior. I tried using vinyl paint from an automotive store. It worked perfectly. Looks like it was always that coloor and looks fresh and new.

So far it has held up perfectly for two years.

That looks great.

Loueee
06-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Did your friend ever make more of these? I have a 94 205 that needs a new drink holder/cover.

440brew
06-30-2013, 10:48 AM
bsloop - I kinda mentally dropped out of this thread when it "changed directions". I don't think he made any others but all the drawings are saved in the autocad so it should be easy to get un and running again. PM me if you are interested and I can get you more details.

Ryan
06-30-2013, 09:18 PM
There's always the option to copy the '00+ Prostars. Pleanty of O2 getting into the engine from the transom vents, no performance variance vs having the vents. It is easier to hold a conversation with people in the back seat - quieter for them.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=49340

Legolamb
07-01-2013, 06:57 AM
Hey guys, I found a pretty good source if you are looking to just replace your cupholders, and not the whole pad. This place has the color I was looking for that matched my 96 Prostar, and they are cheap and arrived quickly. They were a bit smaller on the OD than the originals, but a few wraps of tape around the OD and they fit snug into the slots.

http://cupholdersonline.com/TWO-Tiered-Large-Cup-Holders_c3.htm

;)