PDA

View Full Version : What size rivets for 84 rub rail

liledgy
10-15-2011, 10:01 AM
I picked up an 84 SS. A few of the rivets are loose or broke that hold rub rail to the hull. Does anybody know the correct size to replace. It's also missing one of the clips and screw for the clip down cap, I wonder if napa stocks that or maybe special order. I'm also missing one of the hinges for the motor cover. Lastly the interior needs a good cleaning.

CantRepeat
10-15-2011, 10:05 AM
If nothing else you could take a drill bit and using the chuck side find which one fits in the hole and that will give you the size.

03geetee
10-15-2011, 07:20 PM
3/16 diameter, 3/8 to 1/2 inch grip range aluminum and you will be tits on toast!

JTR

mikeg205
10-15-2011, 09:58 PM
home depot loews, ace hardware...as long as your checkin rivets check the adhesive, it the rivets were loose....possibly the adhesive may have failed...hit it with some silicone and you're set unless someone here knows of a better adhesive...

liledgy
10-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Well, I pulled out the rubber insert of the rub rail. I have 2 problems, the rivets on the passenger side of the bow have pulled out on the rub rail and the deck to hull. 4-5 each with a few others loose. The other problem is that the deck is a little wider than the hull now. I was able to get a few rivets in tight but, by the windshield, the deck has gotten a little distorted from hull. I tried a ratcheting tie down strap across hull to trailer but that just pulled it down, not in. I need larger hook to grab the deck on both sides ant ratchet it back in. I am also going to try 3/16 bolts to pull it back to shape, and the, one by one replace with rivets.
Not sure what caused them to fail as the rubrail and hull are in great shape.