PDA

View Full Version : Tow tube from ski pole or rear step?

Nick911
10-14-2011, 12:05 AM
So what's the deal? You tow a tube from the rear step above the platform
or from ski pole? The boat in question is an X25.

CantRepeat
10-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Do it from the tower!!

Trig2275
10-14-2011, 06:47 AM
Ski pole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scott023
10-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Never pull tubes from the tower....

CantRepeat
10-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Never pull tubes from the tower....

Why? There is considerably more load from a wakeboarder then a free sliding tuber.

CantRepeat
10-14-2011, 09:43 AM
As per the MC safety warnings on the tower itself.

Other recreational towables.

NatesGr8
10-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Tower all the way!!!!!!!

CiscoStu
10-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Yep - tower! It also helps keep the rope out of the water, so it doesn't always splash the riders in the face.

scott023
10-14-2011, 10:59 AM
We were told specifically be the dealer NOT to pull tubes from the tower. The manufaturers warranty will be voided should anything happen.

Also, common sense should tell you that the higher the rope is off the water, the higher potential the tube has for getting too much air.

scott023
10-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Why? There is considerably more load from a wakeboarder then a free sliding tuber.

I would argue with that. The surface area of most tubes is substancially more than a wake board. Through in the fact that most tubes are more than a single rider, the weight that is being pulled is far greater as well. Combine that with speeds that are fairly close (if you're staying at or below the manufacturers recommended speed for the tubes), I'd wager that the load pulling a tube causes more stress on the tower than a wakeboarder.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-14-2011, 11:07 AM
I would argue with that. The surface area of most tubes is substancially more than a wake board. Through in the fact that most tubes are more than a single rider, the weight that is being pulled is far greater as well. Combine that with speeds that are fairly close (if you're staying at or below the manufacturers recommended speed for the tubes), I'd wager that the load pulling a tube causes more stress on the tower than a wakeboarder.

Pulling a tube through calm water doesn't add much stress, but when you put that tube into the rollers, it will plow through the wave and here is where the major stress come in.

scott023
10-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Pulling a tube through calm water doesn't add much stress, but when you put that tube into the rollers, it will plow through the wave and here is where the major stress come in.

Throw 3 or 4 riders on there (like we all see quite often) and your scenario changes substantially.

Nick911
10-14-2011, 11:36 AM
So the rear step on the 25 has a hook for tow rope. So do u tow from there for tube or from pylon?

scott023
10-14-2011, 11:38 AM
So the rear step on the 25 has a hook for tow rope. So do u tow from there for tube or from pylon?

I'd tow from the transom step hook myself.

CantRepeat
10-14-2011, 11:41 AM
It says not to pull more then two people. If you put more then one or two people on a tube then yeah, the tower might not be the place for it.

I think the force of a wakeboarder doing a hard carve into the wake is greater then a tuber sliding around or hitting some rollers.

I think you know me well enough to say I always side with safety first.

scott023
10-14-2011, 11:58 AM
It says not to pull more then two people. If you put more then one or two people on a tube then yeah, the tower might not be the place for it.

I think the force of a wakeboarder doing a hard carve into the wake is greater then a tuber sliding around or hitting some rollers.

I think you know me well enough to say I always side with safety first.

Absolutely.

I've just seen and read of too many tubing accidents, and the majority of them involve high speeds and pulling from the tower. I try to steer others clear of making those mistakes.

pram
10-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Tow off of the pylon

the force while towing is negligible in my opinion

it's the getting the tubes up on plane is where the force is

pram
10-14-2011, 12:26 PM
You also get a lot more movement in the tubes when pulling from the pylon

-V-
10-14-2011, 12:46 PM
A buddy of mine has a Chappeal and he pulls his son (8 years old, 65 pounds) and his son tends to FLY around. the tube grabs sooooo much more air because it is being pulled at a 45 degree angle instead of straight. When you are pulling from the ski pole, you can do the "whip", it is harder to "whip" from the tower but you can definatly get some serious air!!!

dfmaus
10-14-2011, 02:41 PM
I would argue that tubes put substantially more force on the rope than a wakeboarder - just looking at the difference in gas consumption alone.

A buddy of mine has a Chappeal and he pulls his son (8 years old, 65 pounds) and his son tends to FLY around. the tube grabs sooooo much more air because it is being pulled at a 45 degree angle instead of straight. When you are pulling from the ski pole, you can do the "whip", it is harder to "whip" from the tower but you can definatly get some serious air!!!

jwardenjr
10-14-2011, 02:43 PM
We Pull From The Ski Pole On Our X-25

pram
10-14-2011, 02:46 PM
The air is a dangerous aspect IMO

The whip is not

pram
10-14-2011, 02:47 PM
I would argue that tubes put substantially more force on the rope than a wakeboarder - just looking at the difference in gas consumption alone.

I don't think gas consumption can be a deciding factor

if you went at 18 mph in a straight line you would use no more IMO

ricford
10-14-2011, 04:30 PM

And who goes in a straight line when tubing! I tow from the pylon on my prostar becauae I was getting cavitation when pulling a hard turn from the tower. It would pull the boat over sideways so far it cavitated.

scott023
10-14-2011, 04:59 PM

I know you don't do this, so what's the relevance of this post?

pram
10-14-2011, 06:56 PM
How can a person say that there is more force on a tube because of a fuel consumption increase is my point

if you pulled a wake boarder and made sharp turns and constantly throttled up and down you would burn more fuel also

on and off of the throttle to increase the speed of the person on the end of the rope is what causes an increase in fuel usage not the tube itself in my opinion

Footin
10-14-2011, 07:00 PM
I tow the kids from the Skylon, I really don't care about the fuel consumption, it is one of the lower total overall expense of boat ownership.

Nick911
10-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Agreed here, fuel consumption is a negligible cost in the scheme of things.

If I was worried about it I'd have a 3.0 liter Bayliner, but then, I also wouldnt have any fun.

shamco
10-14-2011, 08:32 PM
We have an '04 X-9 and have stress cracks on the the front tower mount from pulling a 250lb person on a tube. The front of the tube dug in during take-off and I heard a pop from the tower. Don't do it.

ahhudgins
10-15-2011, 03:40 PM
I no longer have a tower, but when I did I stopped pulling tubes from the tower after a rider feel off and the tube turned upside down and dug into the water. I heard a loud crack from the tower and then the nylon webbing on the tube snapped. I found no damage to the tower or the hull but I pulled from the plyon after that.

Judging from the responses, it's your choice. Less filling or tastes great! It could go either way. I solved the issue by deflating the tubes and keeping them in the shed. If someone wants to ride the tube instead of skis, they can blow them up and then deflate again. I just hate pulling tubes.

sp00ky
10-15-2011, 03:53 PM
I know you don't do this, so what's the relevance of this post?

he means you use more gas on a tube because YOU DON'T go in a straight line with a tube

tex
10-15-2011, 05:24 PM
I pull a tube once a summer. We go to the family lake house and everyone piles into 3 or 4 boats. I make sure that everyone is out in one spot and I pull my tuber right by the rest of the boats. I make sure I have a mean as hell kid on the tube and double whip his a$$ right by the other boats. None of the kids want any part of me and I have a relaxing beer drinking wakeboard/sky ski/footing/Wakeskiing boat for the rest of the summer. Works every year! Please make sure you give me full credit next summer!!!!

tex
10-15-2011, 05:27 PM
If you are towing a tube from the tower and it breaks....sell your Moomba and buy a Mastercraft!

CantRepeat
10-15-2011, 09:24 PM
If you are towing a tube from the tower and it breaks....sell your Moomba and buy a Mastercraft!

I like it!!

skibrain
10-26-2011, 01:00 AM
OK this is not rocket science guys. A skier or wakeboarder has to use their hands to hold onto the handle. The weak link in this setup is the grip strength of the skier. Yup some big guys can put a lot of load on the tower or pylon, but even he-man will get the handle ripped from his hands occasionally.

A tube is tied to the boat. If you're an attentive driver and never get slack in the line while pulling a tube it should be no problem. If a big tube has 3 big guys on it, swings wide and comes off plane, sinks into the water and then the door-knob boat driver (your buddy driving your boat) doesn't slow down, you've got 20 mph boat vs. 0 mph tube that weighs 600-700 lbs when the slack comes out of the rope.

Something will give.

Nick911
10-27-2011, 02:24 PM
I love tubing. I'd rather pull kids on tubes then spend all day trying to get beginners up on wakeboards.

Some of the best times weve ever had on the water involved 2 tubes with 2 people on each with same length rope.

scott023
10-27-2011, 02:36 PM
I love tubing. I'd rather pull kids on tubes then spend all day trying to get beginners up on wakeboards.Some of the best times weve ever had on the water involved 2 tubes with 2 people on each with same length rope.

Wow. That seems like a really crappy thing to say.

02ProstarSammyD
10-27-2011, 04:43 PM
^meh not really. I've spent entire weekends where it was stop, turn around, explain, pull, stop 20' later, turn around. I don't mind putting new people on my boat but man does it get old quick. It took one of my buddies 4 trips just to get up. Yes he kept gas in the boat but the frustration of watching some not listen etc just made me pull my hair out.

I pull from the rear eye and would never think of putting a tube on the tower. Maybe I'm just overthinking it

Also if he said "I'd rather do power turns with the kids all day" then it would be crappy

scott023
10-27-2011, 05:08 PM
^meh not really. I've spent entire weekends where it was stop, turn around, explain, pull, stop 20' later, turn around. I don't mind putting new people on my boat but man does it get old quick. It took one of my buddies 4 trips just to get up. Yes he kept gas in the boat but the frustration of watching some not listen etc just made me pull my hair out.

I pull from the rear eye and would never think of putting a tube on the tower. Maybe I'm just overthinking it

Also if he said "I'd rather do power turns with the kids all day" then it would be crappy

I guess there are some of us that enjoy seeing the smile on peoples face when they get up behind a boat for the first time. I could give two shakes about having to turn around and pick them up. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY less stressful then pulling a tube IMO.

GoneBoatN
10-27-2011, 05:57 PM
This past weekend I pulled a tube from the tower. Typically I do not. We have two tubes. The older one is not very thick and tends to go under water from time to time when starting out. Sometimes I love that feature. :uglyhamme I have not experienced it going underwater at speed. I was going to run two tubes so I put one from the ski pylon and the problematic one from the tower figuring it would help keep it from submerging as it would have a slight pull upward from the tower. I measure out the ropes so they were the same distance. Yes, I watch the speed so that it did not go airborne - it had my 10 year old daughter and I have no desire to hurt her.

As to wakeboarding vs tubing, we all have ways of having fun which is the end goal. However, every year another leader and I take out a group of Boy Scouts and for many it is their first time. There have been other times I've taken out kids for the first time wakeboarding. To date, only one did not achieve success on my boat. The other leader who runs this trip with me tends to not be very successful with getting people up on the wakeboard for the first time. I had the chance to observe his starting technique. He is far too quick on the start for someone just learning. His boat changes over to tubing early in the day because of the lack of success at learning to wakeboard. My boat turns to tubing only after decently flat water can no longer be found. Sometimes it's the driver.;) There is something to be said about helping someone to learn to do something that is a bit of a challenge for the first time.

Nick911
10-28-2011, 01:23 AM
Me love me some tubing!

vision
10-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Pull tubes from the tower.

GT500 MC
10-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Pull tubes from the tower.

When you go, you go big....nice pic.

Will.I.am
10-28-2011, 11:16 AM
I have pulled from both. I agree it keeps the rope out of the water better, but....

The lower connection lets me sling the tubers out MUCH better.

I think it matters how you drive. If you are the driver that guns it and speeds around - then it does not matter. If you are the one who uses the force of the boat/rope to slingshot the tubers - the lower one is your ticket!!

First thing I did when I bought our boat was to remove the 50 caution stickers all over the boat. I would recommend doing the same to your boat!!! Come on America - have some fun....That is why you bought a boat!!!