PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Prostar 190 - Windshield

Sledneck
10-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Hello all..

I have an 1987 Prostar 190 that has served unbelievably well over the years, I recently debated selling to upgrade but the wake is great, and the boat still performs well. So I've started a refurb, complete removal of interior and separation of the two hulls.

I'm struggling with the multi-piece windshield; it is loose at the seams? Does anyone have experience w/ this? Tightening up the frame under the bow and sides helped a bit. I would like to get this fixed while I still have the hull apart. I've circled the portion in the picture below of where it's loose..

woobiedmd
10-13-2011, 05:54 PM
I don't know your answer- someone more knowledgeable will be along-but we do need pix, many of them! Good luck with the project!
Fellow '88 prostar

liledgy
10-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Sled, if my memory serves me right, my 87 had vent widows on each corner. I think 87 was the only year that they offered it. So while your hull resembles a 86-90 prostar, your windshield is unique. I hope some mOrw informed posters can give you the advice you need

tph
10-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Hello all..

I have an 1987 Prostar 190 that has served unbelievably well over the years, I recently debated selling to upgrade but the wake is great, and the boat still performs well. So I've started a refurb, complete removal of interior and separation of the two hulls.

I'm struggling with the multi-piece windshield; it is loose at the seams? Does anyone have experience w/ this? Tightening up the frame under the bow and sides helped a bit. I would like to get this fixed while I still have the hull apart. I've circled the portion in the picture below of where it's loose..

I restored an '89 a few years back that had the same problem. The aluminum frame is a single layer at that point and years of flexing weaken it considerably. I filled that area with PC 7 Epoxy (similar to JB Weld) and sanded it to blend in nicely with the rest of the windshield frame and then painted the whole frame. It's worked great for years. If I remember I will take a picture of the work this weekend and post it Monday.

89BigBlock
10-18-2011, 10:39 AM
OP: tph has the right idea. My 89 wind shield is the same and also starting to come apart. My plan was to give it to my fabricator and then have the entire frame powder coated. GL with yours.

rjracin240
10-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Hello all..

I restored an '89 a few years back that had the same problem. The aluminum frame is a single layer at that point and years of flexing weaken it considerably. I filled that area with PC 7 Epoxy (similar to JB Weld) and sanded it to blend in nicely with the rest of the windshield frame and then painted the whole frame. It's worked great for years. If I remember I will take a picture of the work this weekend and post it Monday.

Curious how you guys got your winshields back together after taking them apart. I pulled my windshield out to remove the tint the previous owner had put on it and wound up having to borrow a steamer to heat the rubber channel enough to become pliable in order to get the rubber back in the channel