PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for the engine cover cupholder on a 1996 Prostar 190?

Jeffer
10-12-2011, 09:20 PM
I have done a lot of refurb on my 1996 Prostar, including rebuilding the rear seat, the side panels, the driveshaft floor, new carpet, new skins, soon new dash and gauges. One piece that drives me nuts is the cup holder on the engine cover that faces the rear seat. It's cracked and broken in a few places, dirty, and just looks crappy. I'd love to get a new one, but then again I'd love to spend an hour in the back seat of a Bentley with Kate Bekinsale too, but I know neither one's happening (no way could I find a new replacement for that piece, and Kate won't return my calls).
Any ideas? Anyone had this issue and found a decent fix? I tried patching the cracks with glues, then I tried painting the piece with a vinyl paint, but it remained tacky and never really worked and set up due to the type of plastic it's made of. I have a whole winter to come up with an idea...

mikeg205
10-12-2011, 10:10 PM
You can get them at bass proshop... a friend of mine just bought some in the last 30 days...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-12-2011, 10:56 PM
You can get them at bass proshop... a friend of mine just bought some in the last 30 days...

I don't think he is talking about the type of cup holders that fold up,.but the ones that are made into the rear of the engine box.

mikeg205
10-12-2011, 11:04 PM
I did mean the ones that go in the back... My buddy found them there...he had three plastic tumblers in there before....in fact here they are....

http://www.basspro.com/FlushMount-Drink-Holders/product/39742/66380

rem_pss308
10-12-2011, 11:59 PM
This is what I was going to do on my 1993 engine box but then I found a original piece that holds the cup holders from Rambo Marine.

The vent can be purchased at rexmarine.com

http://www.rexmar.com/page26.html

rem_pss308
10-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Stainless Cup holders at skidim.com

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SSDC70100

Jeffer
10-13-2011, 03:31 AM
Thanks guys - and no, not looking for the cup holders themselves, those are easy. Definitely was looking for ideas around the assembly that screws into the engine cover that holds the cup holders. So Rem, your idea looks pretty good. I would have to make a bigger grill since I already reupholstered the engine cover and have the big area where that cup holder assembly sits. I'll noodle it, but that's some good food for thought!

rem_pss308
10-13-2011, 10:54 AM
If you already have covered it. you could get some marine plywood, and make the frame in an L shape, and cover it with vinyl, and put the cup holders and vent in it.

Try calling rambo marine and see if they have the original piece. at the time I think I got the last one they had. that was about five years ago. But you never know what they might have.

you can also check with this guy. he has an assortment of all kinds of parts:

Bennett Boat repair
517 Pink Dogwood Lane
Maryville, TN. 37803-4343
(865) 982-9589
bbrepair15@aol.com

Jeffer
10-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the tips - I'll give these guys a try and make something over the winter if I need to.

jrhodes
10-14-2011, 01:54 PM
If you find one, let me know. The one on my 97 Prostar 190 is looking bad compared to the fairly new upholstery.

JRLx30
10-15-2011, 12:45 AM
I have done a lot of refurb on my 1996 Prostar, including rebuilding the rear seat, the side panels, the driveshaft floor, new carpet, new skins, soon new dash and gauges. One piece that drives me nuts is the cup holder on the engine cover that faces the rear seat. It's cracked and broken in a few places, dirty, and just looks crappy. I'd love to get a new one, but then again I'd love to spend an hour in the back seat of a Bentley with Kate Bekinsale too, but I know neither one's happening (no way could I find a new replacement for that piece, and Kate won't return my calls).
Any ideas? Anyone had this issue and found a decent fix? I tried patching the cracks with glues, then I tried painting the piece with a vinyl paint, but it remained tacky and never really worked and set up due to the type of plastic it's made of. I have a whole winter to come up with an idea...
If you are looking for the actaul plastic holders that drop in to the cover, try Overton's or Overtons.com. I am looking at the catalog and they have several option. Stanless are sharp #36078, but are $20 a pop! Plastic are $5. I have always been happy with Overton's.
JRLX30.

How about winter storage issues? I'm in central CA, and have to store my X30 outside...
Every spring I have to srub the seats to remove the mildew. I have a new Sunbrella Mastercraft cover, but still have issues. Any tips? on prevention?

rem_pss308
10-17-2011, 12:43 PM
If you are looking for the actaul plastic holders that drop in to the cover, try Overton's or Overtons.com. I am looking at the catalog and they have several option. Stanless are sharp #36078, but are $20 a pop! Plastic are $5. I have always been happy with Overton's.
JRLX30.

How about winter storage issues? I'm in central CA, and have to store my X30 outside...
Every spring I have to srub the seats to remove the mildew. I have a new Sunbrella Mastercraft cover, but still have issues. Any tips? on prevention?

Try puting a box fan, or smaller fan running to cirlulate the air. I also keep a light bulb on under the cover. and I get no mold

Cloaked
10-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the tips - I'll give these guys a try and make something over the winter if I need to.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44406

Jeffer
10-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Tried Bennett with no luck. Thanks for this link, Cloaked, that was a pretty cool design and I actually saw that post too. I now have a whole winter to work it out!
And JLR, I had stored in a storage lot last summer, close enough to visit so I'd go check on it once and a while and never had moisture. The fan is a good idea. I have a space on an inside boat rack this winter for about $600 so I'm worried about it even less...