PDA

View Full Version : Atypical? LTR belt alignment issues

Jeff d
10-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm a little sketchy on the details but I've seen other posts where earlier LTRs had belt alignment issues. It looks like they typically slip off one notch away from the water pump on the pulley. The solution was a replacement pulley with a different offset.

I have an '00 MariStar 230 VRS w/ the LTR but my manufacture date is in '99.

I'm having the opposite issue though. The belt is riding one notch closer to the water pump. The problem is though that I have a non-factory alternator on my boat. I put on a 105 amp GM 10 SI style alternator. See here for more details:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=42422&highlight=alternator

As best as I can tell the alternator is aligned just fine though. I have the supplemental bracket from the recall installed but that doesn't have any affect alignment.

Here's where my memory is a bit sketchy. I think that I had alignment issues before the alternator swap. I had a lot of other minor mechanical issues to deal with at the time so I didn't think much of it. I think the belt used to come off track on the crank pulley though. I'm not 100% sure on this though and I don't remember which way it "walked" then.

I've tried putting the belt back into position but then a while later it's back in the spot as shown in the picture. The other problem is that pretty much every pulley in the system has a different shape. So, I can't just put a straight edge across the pulley faces to see where the misalignment exists.

I tried a new tensioner but that didn't help.

The simplest explanation is that it's the alternator but I'd hate to pay out the nose for a lower powered, factory alternator just to still have the same problem.

Any ideas on how to measure the alignment of the grooves on all of the pulleys?

Does anyone have experience with the replacement water pump pulleys on the LTR that could tell me which one might have about a 3/32 deeper "dish" to it?

Does anyone know about the offset of different types of alternators (i.e. Delco 10SI vs. Leece-Neville/Prestolite)? DB Electrical said they were the same relative to the mounting points when I opted for the 10SI. Can anyone confirm/deny that?

Thanks,
Jeff

JimN
10-12-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm a little sketchy on the details but I've seen other posts where earlier LTRs had belt alignment issues. It looks like they typically slip off one notch away from the water pump on the pulley. The solution was a replacement pulley with a different offset.

I have an '00 MariStar 230 VRS w/ the LTR but my manufacture date is in '99.

I'm having the opposite issue though. The belt is riding one notch closer to the water pump. The problem is though that I have a non-factory alternator on my boat. I put on a 105 amp GM 10 SI style alternator. See here for more details:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=42422&highlight=alternator

As best as I can tell the alternator is aligned just fine though. I have the supplemental bracket from the recall installed but that doesn't have any affect alignment.

Here's where my memory is a bit sketchy. I think that I had alignment issues before the alternator swap. I had a lot of other minor mechanical issues to deal with at the time so I didn't think much of it. I think the belt used to come off track on the crank pulley though. I'm not 100% sure on this though and I don't remember which way it "walked" then.

I've tried putting the belt back into position but then a while later it's back in the spot as shown in the picture. The other problem is that pretty much every pulley in the system has a different shape. So, I can't just put a straight edge across the pulley faces to see where the misalignment exists.

I tried a new tensioner but that didn't help.

The simplest explanation is that it's the alternator but I'd hate to pay out the nose for a lower powered, factory alternator just to still have the same problem.

Any ideas on how to measure the alignment of the grooves on all of the pulleys?

Does anyone have experience with the replacement water pump pulleys on the LTR that could tell me which one might have about a 3/32 deeper "dish" to it?

Does anyone know about the offset of different types of alternators (i.e. Delco 10SI vs. Leece-Neville/Prestolite)? DB Electrical said they were the same relative to the mounting points when I opted for the 10SI. Can anyone confirm/deny that?

Thanks,
Jeff

The problem has nothing to do with the alternator- it's the pulley and MC had a recall for this. The selling dealer and original buyer should have taken care of it. Call MC.

Jeff d
10-12-2011, 08:42 PM
The problem has nothing to do with the alternator- it's the pulley and MC had a recall for this. The selling dealer and original buyer should have taken care of it. Call MC.

This makes me feel better but the other pics I've seen of the alignment issue addressed by the recall put the belt one notch away from the water pump. Mine is riding one notch closer to the pump. Does this make sense?

I guess I forgot the pic in my original post. Doing an OS upgrade on my computer at the moment. I will add the pic when it's done.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff d
10-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Well, I just went and took another look at everything with a flashlight. The water pump pulley is clearly the issue. I got down there so that I could see the small gap between the it and the crank pulley from the side. The water pump pulley's grooves are offset an additional 3/32-1/8" further from the engine than the crank pulley.

I emailed my local dealer to get a price on the part which appears to be 81496005.

JimN
10-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Well, I just went and took another look at everything with a flashlight. The water pump pulley is clearly the issue. I got down there so that I could see the small gap between the it and the crank pulley from the side. The water pump pulley's grooves are offset an additional 3/32-1/8" further from the engine than the crank pulley.

I emailed my local dealer to get a price on the part which appears to be 81496005.

Make sure the water pump pulley is on the shaft as far as it should be (flush to the end). Also, if you estimated the difference, use a straight-edge, not your eye. You also need to check the alignment to the alternator pulley. A long straight-edge is needed for this.

Jeff d
11-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Is there a dealer out there that can help me with part # 81496005? This is apparently for a belt and pulley that address the improper offset.

My local dealer didn't respond to 2 emails asking about it. I talked to a dude at BAWS and he said it had been discontinued and he couldn't find any other LTR water pump pulleys listed. He suggested that I may be able to get a regular automotive pulley from somewhere like Jegs.

I talked to another dealer and the lady talked to Indmar and found that they still offered the pulley separate from 81496005 and seemed very willing to help. My attempts to contact her again have not gotten any response though.

I checked Jegs and they offer several pulleys for the GM 5.7L but they all look significantly deeper than what's currently on my LTR. None of them list any type of offset dimension though for comparison. Is this standard?

JimN
11-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Is there a dealer out there that can help me with part # 81496005? This is apparently for a belt and pulley that address the improper offset.

My local dealer didn't respond to 2 emails asking about it. I talked to a dude at BAWS and he said it had been discontinued and he couldn't find any other LTR water pump pulleys listed. He suggested that I may be able to get a regular automotive pulley from somewhere like Jegs.

I talked to another dealer and the lady talked to Indmar and found that they still offered the pulley separate from 81496005 and seemed very willing to help. My attempts to contact her again have not gotten any response though.

I checked Jegs and they offer several pulleys for the GM 5.7L but they all look significantly deeper than what's currently on my LTR. None of them list any type of offset dimension though for comparison. Is this standard?

If Jegs had supplied the bracket(s) and pulleys for this engine, they might have a replacement that addresses the offset but since they didn't, go to the source.

Jeff d
11-07-2011, 07:22 PM
go to the source.

My 3 attempts to go to "the source" only yielded the tip to go to Jegs though.

JimN
11-07-2011, 07:57 PM
My 3 attempts to go to "the source" only yielded the tip to go to Jegs though.

From the dealer? I'm not sure they understand what is causing the offset and if not, they really need to look into this. Are they a new dealer, or do they have a high turnover rate in their service department? To be honest, if two of the pulleys are aligned well, making a spacer for the odd one would be pretty easy.

Jeff d
12-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Ok, I think I was able to resolve this on the cheap.

Never heard back from my local MC dealer then another out of state dealer that I was working with fell off the map after it seemed like they were going to find what I needed.

Fortunately Chuck @ BAWS determined that 81496005 (Pulley + belt "kit" to resolve this issue) was discontinued. He checked with Indmar to see if there was a replacement part and came up with 531184 (Just the updated pulley, not the "kit") but found that it was discontinued too. He had previously looked and found no other reference to a water pump pulley for an LTR.

So, I started looking at aftermarket GM small block water pump pulleys. I was getting frustrated because most listed no specs at all (i.e. no diameter, offset or anything like that). Some listed diameter but the only spec that was commonly listed was whether it was for a "short" or "long" water pump. I was able to determine that I had a "short" water pump and it occurred to me that maybe no specs were commonly listed because it they were a commodity item that was generally the same on all GM small blocks.

So, I found one on amazon for $29.71 shipped and figured it was worth a shot:
http://www.amazon.com/Mota-Performance-A70384-Aluminum-Serpentine/dp/B002ZMR6KS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323223482&sr=8-1

Just installed it and it's aligned perfectly with the crank pulley (About 3/32" offset towards the engine relative to the old one) and has a "shoulder" to prevent the belt from walking. It's a 1/2" smaller diameter than the factory pulley but from what I could tell from other users' pics the formerly available replacement pulley from Indmar was smaller in diameter as well. Unfortunately that means I have to find a suitable belt but that shouldn't be very hard.

I won't know for sure until the spring when I can run it but it looks like. Hopefully this helps someone.

NatesGr8
10-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Ok, I think I was able to resolve this on the cheap.

Never heard back from my local MC dealer then another out of state dealer that I was working with fell off the map after it seemed like they were going to find what I needed.

Fortunately Chuck @ BAWS determined that 81496005 (Pulley + belt "kit" to resolve this issue) was discontinued. He checked with Indmar to see if there was a replacement part and came up with 531184 (Just the updated pulley, not the "kit") but found that it was discontinued too. He had previously looked and found no other reference to a water pump pulley for an LTR.

So, I started looking at aftermarket GM small block water pump pulleys. I was getting frustrated because most listed no specs at all (i.e. no diameter, offset or anything like that). Some listed diameter but the only spec that was commonly listed was whether it was for a "short" or "long" water pump. I was able to determine that I had a "short" water pump and it occurred to me that maybe no specs were commonly listed because it they were a commodity item that was generally the same on all GM small blocks.

So, I found one on amazon for $29.71 shipped and figured it was worth a shot:
http://www.amazon.com/Mota-Performance-A70384-Aluminum-Serpentine/dp/B002ZMR6KS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323223482&sr=8-1

Just installed it and it's aligned perfectly with the crank pulley (About 3/32" offset towards the engine relative to the old one) and has a "shoulder" to prevent the belt from walking. It's a 1/2" smaller diameter than the factory pulley but from what I could tell from other users' pics the formerly available replacement pulley from Indmar was smaller in diameter as well. Unfortunately that means I have to find a suitable belt but that shouldn't be very hard.

I won't know for sure until the spring when I can run it but it looks like. Hopefully this helps someone.
I hate to dig up an old thread but was just searching for replacement belt sizes for my LQ9 and came across this one. The belt on my engine recently shredded, i believe its due to old age, however I am skeptical this amount of damage could happen from age. Wondering how your pulley worked out and how your belt was failing. My belt lost 2 of the 5 bands, never broke completely. I'm currently waiting for a new one to install, just don't want it to rip as well.

willg
04-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Again, hate to dig up an old thread, but my 2002 LTR has this same problem (I believe).

Jeff d
04-19-2014, 05:32 PM
That looks like the bad pulley that I ended up throwing away. I haven't had any belt related issues since I swapped in that nondescript small block gm water pump pulley from amazon. I can't believe it's been over 3 years and had forgotten I even had this problem. To find the right sized belt I measured and then picked up 3 or so that were in 1/2" circumference increments close to the measured size from NAPA. I then kept the one that fit best and returned the rest.

Jeff d
04-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Actually, your OE pulley looks very similar to mine but yours seems to have a shoulder on it to try to keep the belt on. Mine never actually shredded belts because I had no shoulder. The belt was just allowed to "walk" over a bit and ride in proper alignment with the other pulleys. I could see the shoulder combined with what appears to be the same misalignment being much harder on the belts and shredding them.

The pulley I got off amazon (which has gone up $6) has a shoulder but also aligned properly with the rest of the pulleys. I'd buy that pulley for $36 and see if it offers you better alignment. Worst case you can return it and only pay return shipping and a restocking fee. If it is in better alignment then you can shop locally for a suitable belt.

mikeg205
04-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Try Bruce at Action Water Sports in Fenton Mi... great source for parts.

willg
04-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Actually, your OE pulley looks very similar to mine but yours seems to have a shoulder on it to try to keep the belt on. Mine never actually shredded belts because I had no shoulder. The belt was just allowed to "walk" over a bit and ride in proper alignment with the other pulleys. I could see the shoulder combined with what appears to be the same misalignment being much harder on the belts and shredding them.

The pulley I got off amazon (which has gone up $6) has a shoulder but also aligned properly with the rest of the pulleys. I'd buy that pulley for $36 and see if it offers you better alignment. Worst case you can return it and only pay return shipping and a restocking fee. If it is in better alignment then you can shop locally for a suitable belt.

I ordered the pulley you recommended this morning. Mine was OK for the last 2 years (and the P/O's 200 hours) but lately shreds belts instantly. I don't know why the change, but the new pulley should fix it up.

Also, I removed the 4 bolts but couldn't get the pulley off, is it pressed on?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Jeff d
04-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Mine was not pressed on. It's probably just corrosion on the mating surfaces due to the dissimilar metals. I'd try penetrating lube over the course of the next couple of days since you're waiting on the new pulley anyway. See if you can spray it a couple of times a day and get it off without a lot of force. I'd avoid hammering on it too hard as you'll probably do damage to the shaft seal(s). If it won't come off you could probably use one of the loan-a-tool pullers from autozone/O'Reilly. A large 2 or 3 jaw puller should be able to pop it off.