PDA

View Full Version : Mounting amp/speakers in '79 S&S

sam196370
10-12-2011, 12:40 PM
I've installed many car audio systems but never one in boat - I bought a pair of panel speakers and an amp, can these be secured to the hull without drilling? If so...how?

Here's the hardware:
http://www.mbquartnautic.com/nau460.html
http://www.polyplanar.com/product/ma905-5-platinum-panel-speaker

I'm going to get an Ipod attachment which plugs directly into the amp so no need for a head unit since I don't listen to the radio anyway. Where do people generally attach the switched/constant leads for the amp?

Thanks!

Cloaked
10-12-2011, 10:47 PM
I am not aware of any typical methodology to attach to directly to the hull.

Search on the forum. There are plenty of threads on stereos in the old boats and how others have managed.

EarmarkMarine
10-13-2011, 12:51 PM
You first have to build a shallow resin-coated birch speaker enclosure that will act as a baffle and provide front to rear acoustic isolation. You can cover it in a marine-grade rubber-back carpet or vinyl. You can attach the enclosure directly to the hull with a number of compounds including automotive fiberglass panel to panel adhesives by 3M or a plastic body filler containing fiberglass strands like KittyHair for example. You can find some products in the paint department of Lowes or Home Depot and a number of choices at any automotive body and paint supply house. We generally secure such an enclosure to the sole via HDPE or KingStarboard polymer risers/spacers.
Go to our site under the marine installation photo gallery and look at the 'Nautique Resurrection' project. You'll get a good idea of how to.

David
Earmark Marine

thatsmrmastercraft
10-13-2011, 02:00 PM
You first have to build a shallow resin-coated birch speaker enclosure that will act as a baffle and provide front to rear acoustic isolation. You can cover it in a marine-grade rubber-back carpet or vinyl. You can attach the enclosure directly to the hull with a number of compounds including automotive fiberglass panel to panel adhesives by 3M or a plastic body filler containing fiberglass strands like KittyHair for example. You can find some products in the paint department of Lowes or Home Depot and a number of choices at any automotive body and paint supply house. We generally secure such an enclosure to the sole via HDPE or KingStarboard polymer risers/spacers.
Go to our site under the marine installation photo gallery and look at the 'Nautique Resurrection' project. You'll get a good idea of how to.

David
Earmark Marine

Great post David:toast: