PDA

View Full Version : Mounting amp/speakers in '79 S&S

sam196370
10-12-2011, 12:40 PM
I've installed many car audio systems but never one in boat - I bought a pair of panel speakers and an amp, can these be secured to the hull without drilling? If so...how?

Here's the hardware:
http://www.mbquartnautic.com/nau460.html
http://www.polyplanar.com/product/ma905-5-platinum-panel-speaker

I'm going to get an Ipod attachment which plugs directly into the amp so no need for a head unit since I don't listen to the radio anyway. Where do people generally attach the switched/constant leads for the amp?

Thanks!

waterlogged882
10-12-2011, 10:47 PM

EarmarkMarine
10-13-2011, 12:51 PM
You first have to build a shallow resin-coated birch speaker enclosure that will act as a baffle and provide front to rear acoustic isolation. You can cover it in a marine-grade rubber-back carpet or vinyl. You can attach the enclosure directly to the hull with a number of compounds including automotive fiberglass panel to panel adhesives by 3M or a plastic body filler containing fiberglass strands like KittyHair for example. You can find some products in the paint department of Lowes or Home Depot and a number of choices at any automotive body and paint supply house. We generally secure such an enclosure to the sole via HDPE or KingStarboard polymer risers/spacers.
Go to our site under the marine installation photo gallery and look at the 'Nautique Resurrection' project. You'll get a good idea of how to.

David
Earmark Marine

thatsmrmastercraft
10-13-2011, 02:00 PM
You first have to build a shallow resin-coated birch speaker enclosure that will act as a baffle and provide front to rear acoustic isolation. You can cover it in a marine-grade rubber-back carpet or vinyl. You can attach the enclosure directly to the hull with a number of compounds including automotive fiberglass panel to panel adhesives by 3M or a plastic body filler containing fiberglass strands like KittyHair for example. You can find some products in the paint department of Lowes or Home Depot and a number of choices at any automotive body and paint supply house. We generally secure such an enclosure to the sole via HDPE or KingStarboard polymer risers/spacers.
Go to our site under the marine installation photo gallery and look at the 'Nautique Resurrection' project. You'll get a good idea of how to.

David
Earmark Marine

Great post David:toast: