PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing question

thekubiaks
10-12-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm new to the RDP engine on my 2006 Mastercraft X-1. The winterization is really easy but I just want to double check that I didn't miss something. What I did was:

1) Pull the brass plug on the passenger side of the block
2) Pull the hot water shower hose connector off the drivers side of the block (directly opposite of the passenger side brass plug, I think they just tap the hot water from where there used to be a brass plug)
3) Disconnected Garden hose between exhaust manifolds
4) Fogged motor
5) Stabil in fuel tank

What did I miss??? (Ballast tanks are dry)

Thanks for the replies :)

willyt
10-12-2011, 09:37 AM
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103139&postcount=6

great checklist. just off the top of my head i would pull the impeller covers off your ballast pumps and let the water drain / blow out the ballast tanks.

changed oil?

did you crank the engine a few times after pulling the plugs? if your dry block the engine make sure you pull it over a few hills to make sure all the water got out

pulled the raw water impeller?

You'll probably need to run antifreeze through the shower... but i'm not as familiar with showers as i should be.

pulled the tranny cooler hose and cleaned screen?

durcanchris
10-12-2011, 09:52 AM
check the tranny cooler.....mine cracked on my other X1.....Dealership did the winterization, so they gave me a new one.

bobx1
10-12-2011, 10:46 AM
I do something similar but.....

1) Pull the brass plug on BOTH SIDES OF THE BLOCK

2) I DON'T HAVE A SHOWER

3) Disconnected Garden hose between exhaust manifolds

3A) PULL LINE OFF OF WATER INTAKE TO PUMP AND BETWEEN PUMP AND TRANS COOLER

4) Fogged motor BY PULLING THE SPARK PLUGS THEN CRANK ENGINE A COUPLE OF TIMES WITH KILL SWITCH PULLED

5) Stabil in fuel tank - PUT THAT IN ON THE WAY TO THE BOAT RAMP ON LAST DAY OF SEASON

I take it to the dealer in the spring for impeller and oil change (I know there are 2 schools of thought on this).

HDAVIS
10-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Does yours have a knock sensor? This is usually on the stern side. If so you need to unplug the wire to it and drain the water out.

mikeg205
10-12-2011, 09:13 PM
get a 7mm wetsuit and go out for one more run.... then winterize again...:headbang:

wiltok
10-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Very important point that I didn't see noted in the winterization checklist or noted above: if you run antifreeze through using the raw water pickup make sure 1) engine is at operating temp OR 2) you take out the thermostat. Run until you see antifreeze coming out the exhaust. I just take out the thermo - takes a minute and I want to be sure.

GoneBoatN
10-13-2011, 01:13 PM
The list via the URL above is quite good and is what I now follow. I don't live in an area where freezing is much of a concern and in addition my boat is stored in my garage. You need to evaluate your conditions and determrine if you want/need to antifreeze.

As to the shower and heater, I used a compressor and blew all the water out of both after disconnecting. For the shower I did this repeatedly working the hot/cold handle to clear out both sides. This year I will also run some antifreeze through just in case.

I noticed a little water sits in my KGB (stock/hard) tank even after being completely drained. I dumped a couple gallon into each tank, drove around and drained them again as much as possilbe.

jab
10-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Very important point that I didn't see noted in the winterization checklist or noted above: if you run antifreeze through using the raw water pickup make sure 1) engine is at operating temp OR 2) you take out the thermostat. Run until you see antifreeze coming out the exhaust. I just take out the thermo - takes a minute and I want to be sure.

Does someone have a picture of where the thermostat is on the 06 MCX engine?

Thanks