PDA

View Full Version : Running engine while not in water.

Nick911
10-11-2011, 04:04 PM
A 2008 X15 with MCX. How do I run the engine while not in water?
Any special parts I need?

CantRepeat
10-11-2011, 04:07 PM
What a lot of people do is pull the hose off of the water intake from either the hull or the trans cooler and put that in a 5 gallon buck. You might need to get a longer hose or some 1.25 OD tube/pipe and bend it so you can get it in the bucket.

My current setup.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-11-2011, 04:13 PM
What a lot of people do is pull the hose off of the water intake from either the hull or the trans cooler and put that in a 5 gallon buck. You might need to get a longer hose or some 1.25 OD tube/pipe and bend it so you can get it in the bucket.

My current setup.

Nice looking set-up Tim.

hairlesshacker
10-11-2011, 04:44 PM
You can use a fake-a-lake, which looks like a plunger with a hose fitting... http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FAK01

Of course just disconnecting the intake hose is just as effective, and cheaper..
and if you are running from a bucket, it's easy to put antifreeze in the bucket instead of water when winterizing.

Lumbergh
10-11-2011, 05:04 PM
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/rawwaterhookup.jpg

I like this setup.

CantRepeat
10-11-2011, 06:15 PM

I like this setup.

After seeing how much water the impeller and water pump really need/pull in, I can no longer recommend that setup. I used it for while myself but that was before I saw just how much water the motor needs. ;)

thatsmrmastercraft
10-11-2011, 06:32 PM

I like this setup.

Does this set-up not get water through the trans cooler? Even though the trans is not working in neutral, the pump is still turning. As clean and simple as this looks, I would hook up to the other side of the trans cooler. Just sayin'

Lumbergh
10-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Point taken. An excellent point at that.

While not my picture, I will adjust my technique.

Jorski
10-11-2011, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't worry about the transmission cooler....but the raw water pump will want to draw more water than the garden hose will provide....better with the large bucket.

As for the fake-a-lake option...Jimn is not a fan.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-11-2011, 10:51 PM
All you have to do is run it once on a bucket and watch how much water that cooling system wants and you will be hooked.

Nick911
10-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the info! So I'm picking up my boat this weekend. I would like to run it first. Where exactly is the intake? Is there any other way to confirm the engine runs?

mikeg205
10-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Does this set-up not get water through the trans cooler? Even though the trans is not working in neutral, the pump is still turning. As clean and simple as this looks, I would hook up to the other side of the trans cooler. Just sayin'

this should work when put before the tranny cooler... unless you have poor water pressure....
never had a temp issue or impeller issue this setup..but always run with tranny cooler in line.

However, there's never a bad reason to drop it in a body of water...I always bribe the wife with dinner out...:cool:

thatsmrmastercraft
10-12-2011, 10:37 AM
this should work when put before the tranny cooler... unless you have poor water pressure....
never had a temp issue or impeller issue this setup..but always run with tranny cooler in line.

However, there's never a bad reason to drop it in a body of water...I always bribe the wife with dinner out...:cool:

Not to start the age old discussion over again, and not that I ever had my engine run hot in the driveway, but have you ever used the bucket method and seen how much water the engine will suck up on it's own? It made the decision simple for me.

Willski
10-12-2011, 11:27 AM
I always ran my 84 out of a bucket and had the garden hose refilling the bucket. I hear that my 07 will outpace the hose. Is this true?

CantRepeat
10-12-2011, 11:34 AM
I always ran my 84 out of a bucket and had the garden hose refilling the bucket. I hear that my 07 will outpace the hose. Is this true?

At idle it should not run the bucket dry. But if you want to get it to operating temp you'll need to give it some gas and then it will run the bucket dry.

BrianT
10-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I personally don't use a bucket. I run it straight from the hose bib, therefore I can run it for a lot longer. When I did my winterization I ran it for around 3-4 min with the hose to warm it up.

east tx skier
10-12-2011, 11:45 AM
If you drop a garden hose in the bucket to keep it supplied, you can run it for as long as the hose/water source can keep up with the engine needs.

sam196370
10-12-2011, 11:56 AM
I bought a Flush-Pro for $65 and it's great, so easy - a must if the boat is being run in salt water.

CantRepeat
10-12-2011, 12:23 PM
I think someone is going to need to do a video on how fast a 5 gallon bucket will run dry at 1500 RPMs while a garden hose is running full tilt trying to keep up.

east tx skier
10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
I think someone is going to need to do a video on how fast a 5 gallon bucket will run dry at 1500 RPMs while a garden hose is running full tilt trying to keep up.

At 1,500 rpm, it will drain it without much trouble. Our water pressure isn't sufficient at those engine speeds. At idle, it isn't a problem, and I try to keep any reving under 1,200 rpm.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-12-2011, 12:50 PM

I would jump right on that but my boat is already winterized. Great idea though.

CantRepeat
10-12-2011, 12:53 PM
I would jump right on that but my boat is already winterized. Great idea though.

I've got about 3 or 4 weeks before I'll "need" to do mine winterizing. If no one gets a video done before then I'll do one.

macattack
10-12-2011, 01:12 PM

This is my setup/pic :D and yes water is running through the trans cooler...2005 PS197 TT, 350 MCX. This hose mod goes on the impellor housing at the same location as the hose that connects to the water pickup in the bottom of the boat. There is plenty of water at idle; temp stays steady at 160. I've been using this method for many years without issue. Another pic to make you feel better:)...mac

CantRepeat
10-12-2011, 01:23 PM
This is my setup/pic :D and yes water is running through the trans cooler...2005 PS197 TT, 350 MCX. This hose mod goes on the impellor housing at the same location as the hose that connects to the water pickup in the bottom of the boat. There is plenty of water at idle; temp stays steady at 160. I've been using this method for many years without issue. Another pic to make you feel better:)...mac

It's your boat man. Do whatever makes YOU feel better. 8p

tommcat
10-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Does this set-up not get water through the trans cooler? Even though the trans is not working in neutral, the pump is still turning. As clean and simple as this looks, I would hook up to the other side of the trans cooler. Just sayin'AGREED!! i tried it that way one time and the trans cooler got so hot i couldnt believe it.
i use a fake-a-lake most times i just need to run it, but i do use the bucket when winterizing.

macattack
10-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I do not believe there is any difference using a fake a lake and my setup...the entering variables/hose connections are at the same point:confused: My trans cooler does not get hot and there is plenty of water coming out the exhaust. As discussed, this works for idling situations, not higher RPM...mac

mikeg205
10-12-2011, 03:28 PM
agreed if you kick up the rpm's 1/2 or 5/8 hose will never compete with 1.25 in hose....if you need to run those kind of rpm's in dry dock for I can see the need for the bucket. To run it to get the oil warmed up and to fog...hose has worked fine for me.......the clear hose is soft and I haven't seen mine pinched from vacuum..then in all fairness the "fake a lake" should be called "puddle attachment"

thatsmrmastercraft
10-12-2011, 03:36 PM
I do not believe there is any difference using a fake a lake and my setup...the entering variables/hose connections are at the same point:confused: My trans cooler does not get hot and there is plenty of water coming out the exhaust. As discussed, this works for idling situations, not higher RPM...mac

Your set-up is better than fakey-lakey because of the water lost around the plunger mouth/boat seal.

mikeg205
10-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Your set-up is better than fakey-lakey because of the water lost around the plunger mouth/boat seal.

i like that fakey-lakey...more like scammy-lakey....

thatsmrmastercraft
10-12-2011, 03:46 PM
i like that fakey-lakey...more like scammy-lakey....

At least it was faster to type:rolleyes:

oldairboater
10-13-2011, 11:08 AM
There is no way I would use a fake a lake. Sitting in the driveway at idle my boat sucks more water out of the bucket then my water-hose can put in it. It will empty a five gallon bucket with my water hose running wide open in it in five minutes or less at a high idle. I actually fill two more five gallon buckets and then the five gallon bucket that is attached to my suction before the transmission cooler. I still have to shut down the boat a couple of times and refill everything.

nauti-dreamer
10-13-2011, 12:09 PM
I've got the perfect solution to all these "not enough" supply problems....There's usually a publicly owned water spicket (often times painted RED) on most street blocks. Pull out your big wrench and hook it up. Pretty sure you'll have more supply than your engine can draw even at full throttle!

:worthy: :firejump:

east tx skier
10-13-2011, 12:37 PM
That might be a problem with our current drought restrictions. :o

thatsmrmastercraft
10-13-2011, 12:46 PM
I've got the perfect solution to all these "not enough" supply problems....There's usually a publicly owned water spicket (often times painted RED) on most street blocks. Pull out your big wrench and hook it up. Pretty sure you'll have more supply than your engine can draw even at full throttle!

Too much beer clouds good judgement. It's a Wisconsin thing.:rolleyes::D:D

cmarston
10-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Does anyone have experience with the flush kit Mastercraft offers? I have an 03 X-30 and occasionally use it salt water. The dealership suggested having the flush kit installed for a few hundred dollars. It sounded like the easiest way to go.

nauti-dreamer
10-13-2011, 02:02 PM

too much beer???
I think that's listed in the dictionary under oxymoron. Right below Democratic Party!:banana::friday:

Now Brandy on the other hand...that MAY cloud good judgement (at first) but after a certain point, it actually turns a corner and greatly enhances said judgement. (now there's WI theory to be proud of.)

thatsmrmastercraft
10-13-2011, 02:42 PM
too much beer???
I think that's listed in the dictionary under oxymoron. Right below Democratic Party!:banana::friday:

Now Brandy on the other hand...that MAY cloud good judgement (at first) but after a certain point, it actually turns a corner and greatly enhances said judgement. (now there's WI theory to be proud of.)

Don't get me wrong. I never said there was such a thing as too much beer(well, maybe a morning or two?!?).

You don't partake of an Old Fashioned upon occasion by chance?

mikeg205
10-13-2011, 02:50 PM

Guiness for me please....:cool:

oldairboater
10-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Live in the country---we don't have them red things. I have the wrench but no hydrant.