PDA

View Full Version : 1984 s&s makeover

adam9267
10-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Well it needs interior, paint job, prop, strut bearing and shaft alighnment. It runs good and drives good, has a little slop in steering, has a vibration, but I think it's mostly prop, bearing and shaft alighnment. Any tips on paint job? The gel coat has some chips, What to repair with before it gets painted? What to paint the boat with anything special or just base/clear coat?
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=569&pictureid=3579
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=569&pictureid=3578
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=569&pictureid=3582
Originaly I had bought a 1995 stingray 586zp perfect condition. Then I fell on this MC and it was all over stingray needs to go. Once that gets sold I will have all I need to get this project on its way.

rjracin240
10-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Congrats on your purchase, have you considered trying to work with what you have and buff it first?

Looks like a fun project, welcome to the Mastercraft Family

'78 Starz & Stripes
10-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Nice project.

440brew
10-15-2011, 10:46 AM
talk to a someone refinish it.

I recently had my 89 wetsanded, polished and buffed. I removed all the interior and guy who did it completely transformed the boat from old and faded to looking brand new inside and out - even the dash board. It was only $180 bucks, way cheaper than paint and lasts longer. they should also be able to patch and chips/flakes as well. I also had him remove the decals as well as I got a new set from BAWS. Looks like a 22 year old new boat.

do you self a favor and a least get a quote for this first.

03geetee
10-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Restore that gel there is plenty there to work with, Ive been there bro!

Check out some of my resto threads and others on here for some information, but bring that sucker back she looks great!

JTR

adam9267
10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Well I pulled the swim platform off and the bottom row of holes on the drivers side were soggy and water came out. Should I pull up the floor? I am shure there has to be water in the foam. Should I remove foam or refoam? Any suggestions would help or links to threads. Thanks.

Cloaked
10-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Well I pulled the swim platform off and the bottom row of holes on the drivers side were soggy and water came out. Should I pull up the floor? I am shure there has to be water in the foam. Should I remove foam or refoam? Any suggestions would help or links to threads. Thanks.Depends on what you want. If you pull the floor, then you may be destined to replace the stringers (assuming they are soft or rotted). The 84 should have fiber coated stringers but water is never fool-proof. There's always too little or too much where water is concerned.

Backing up one step, you'll still have to cut into the floor under the fuel cell to access the area to repair the platform with thru-bolts and a backing plate. I have pictures here (somewhere) of this process. I have done this several times over the years. Not a hard thing to do, just a bit time consuming, depending on how the brackets seperated from the transom / gel coat. If you remove the floor and the foam, I'd personally not put any back in. But that's just me...

adam9267
10-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Depends on what you want. If you pull the floor, then you may be destined to replace the stringers (assuming they are soft or rotted). The 84 should have fiber coated stringers but water is never fool-proof. There's always too little or too much where water is concerned.

Backing up one step, you'll still have to cut into the floor under the fuel cell to access the area to repair the platform with thru-bolts and a backing plate. I have pictures here (somewhere) of this process. I have done this several times over the years. Not a hard thing to do, just a bit time consuming, depending on how the brackets seperated from the transom / gel coat. If you remove the floor and the foam, I'd personally not put any back in. But that's just me...

Ok thats what I was planning. I think I seen that in a thread somewhere. As far as the brackets they came right off no problem just a little adhesive to remove, most all the lag bolts were good and tight. Looks a little soggy where the exhaust exits. Now the stringers are wooden or solid fiberglass? I thought in 1984 they were solid fiber glass, but you say they are fiber glass coated, I am not shure. I also found the strut was bent and it has some cracking in the fiber glass twards the rear of where the strut mounts, all looks good on the top side where the strut and steering bracket meet. I removed the components and inspected and was going to grind out, glass and refinish the cracked area. I knew there would be alot of work in this project when I test drove it and felt the vibration, the drive shaft is as straight as an arrow thankfully. At least it runs great. If I do take up the floor I will probably not put foam back in. I have a friend that has a 1977 ski nautique and they put stringers and new floor in.

liledgy
10-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Your stringers are fiberglass. Pretty sure your floor is to. I think o
The only
Wood you have would be seat cushions, behind the combing pads and near the bottom of the engine cover where the vinyl attaches.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-19-2011, 10:19 AM
You definitely do not have wood stringers in an '84. Your foam may well be saturated from the platform bolts allowing water to leak in. I'm sure someone will add to this as the issue of waterlogged foam has come up before. One would think that would dry out if left open (with the engine cover open)during the off season.

Cloaked
10-19-2011, 04:35 PM
..........I also found the strut was bent and it has some cracking in the fiber glass twards the rear of where the strut mounts, all looks good on the top side where the strut and steering bracket meet. I removed the components and inspected and was going to grind out, glass and refinish the cracked area. There's a thread and pictures of that process too.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=782111&posted=1#post782111

A very informative thread for doing just what you describe (relative to the crack location).

adam9267
10-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Great thread, mine is all good in this location. I removed the strut and it is damaged at the rear edge of the strut and some by the prop. Does not look to major. Strut is bent a little, I have a friend that is a machinist and fabricator. I was going to take it over there and see if he could square it up for me. I checked the shaft with a straight edge that we use for checking heads and it came out perfect but I will still have him chuck it in the lathe and check run out.