PDA

View Full Version : Drain Plugs - Engine Block - Question

GT500 MC
10-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Winterized the MC ('10 MCX) a couple of weeks ago for first time by myself. Between the manual and this forum, went pretty smooth.
Had a question though on the block drain plugs and what the wires were coming off of each of those and what they do. Easy disconnect to remove the wires, pull plugs, drain, re-install plugs, and re-connect wires. Ran AF through engine and everything seemed fine (no leaks) so I guess I did it right but just wondered what the wires off of the plugs were for??

Also, anybody with the RW strainer on their MC just run the garden hose (or AF for winterizing) directly through that down through the impeller to get a minute or two of idle engine run-time? I know there's concerns of water pressure through the hose, etc., but I'm OK there. Seemed to be an easy way to slightly warm-up engine.

gts-20
10-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Those wires/plugs are the knock sensors. They detect detination and report that to the engine computer.

CantRepeat
10-11-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm sure one is a knock sensor, not sure what is on the other side.

I'd recommend leaving them out over the winter.

I think the issue with just using a garden hose, I did for a number of years, is that once you come off idle there doesn't seem to be enough water supply to keep up with the impeller, water pump. This is why a lot of folks have turned to the 5 gallon bucket deal. I went a little further and got a 15 gallon bucket from Home Depot.

GT500 MC
10-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Those wires/plugs are the knock sensors. They detect detination and report that to the engine computer.

OK--so how do they detect detonation, via the block wall or via some kind of water readings from within the block? And what kind of detonation--seems like if they would detect it then it may be too late anyway? Would they just shutdown the engine if "abnormal" vibrations were detected?

GT500 MC
10-11-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm sure one is a knock sensor, not sure what is on the other side.

I'd recommend leaving them out over the winter.

I think the issue with just using a garden hose, I did for a number of years, is that once you come off idle there doesn't seem to be enough water supply to keep up with the impeller, water pump. This is why a lot of folks have turned to the 5 gallon bucket deal. I went a little further and got a 15 gallon bucket from Home Depot.

Left them in due to keeping AF in.

Got it for the water supply. For idle, that strainer was an extremely easy way to feed the hose water through, as well as just putting the AF through there too. I haven't changed my own oil yet so haven't had to run motor out of water above idle.

gts-20
10-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Detination produces distinct vibrations that the sensor are tuned to detect. For example, low quality fuel and/or high engine temps can cause detination that is not audible to your ear, but still produces the vibrations through the engine. The knock sensors pic these up and allow the computer adjust before the detination causes damage.

GT500 MC
10-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Detination produces distinct vibrations that the sensor are tuned to detect. For example, low quality fuel and/or high engine temps can cause detination that is not audible to your ear, but still produces the vibrations through the engine. The knock sensors pic these up and allow the computer adjust before the detination causes damage.

Makes sense....thx..