PDA

View Full Version : Tranny fluid is caramel color

mart_it
10-11-2011, 12:10 AM
So I winterized the boat over the weekend and when I took my oil cooler off to clean it, this is what came out the oil lines:
Should I worry?
Also, my damper plate has been acting up lately.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Mart_it/IMG_1166.jpg

Lumbergh
10-11-2011, 01:06 AM
How long since last changing?

Drop in some Red Line synthetic after sucking out that funk.

Kyle
10-11-2011, 01:18 AM
It's better than strawberry milkshake thats been shaken up and left out for a week.

If you are worried change it and fill her back up. Run the boat and change another time.

mart_it
10-11-2011, 09:37 AM
How long since last changing?

Drop in some Red Line synthetic after sucking out that funk.

No clue, I bought the boat last winter and put 25hrs on it this summer. Previous owner left every receipt but I didn't see a Tranny fluid change.
My guess is it hasn't been changed in a couple years.

The boat ran excellent though!
Thanks to this forum, I've been learning everything there is to know about these boats and will be maintaining it like it's supposed to be.

mart_it
10-11-2011, 09:38 AM
I'll be replacing it with 15W40

thatsmrmastercraft
10-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Do you possibly have a combination of trans fluid and oil? I would flush if a couple times with 15W40 before doing any running.

CantRepeat
10-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Might want to have your trans cooler pressure tested as well.

mart_it
10-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Might want to have your trans cooler pressure tested as well.

Will do!.

So I take it there's nothing to worry about?

CantRepeat
10-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Will do!.

So I take it there's nothing to worry about?

Find the water intrusion, change the oil and you should be good.

mart_it
10-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Find the water intrusion, change the oil and you should be good.

Ok, Cooler looks fine but I will pressure test it to be sure.

I did in fact have to empty bilge once this summer because water was at least up to blower level. My mooring cover was not tented properly and my cover became loose causing rainfall to fill up bilge. I'm thinking this incident caused water to infiltrate tranny.

If my boat is winterized in the garage, how do I go about flushing tranny besides the obvious (fill,empty,refill)?

Thanks for the help guys! I'm concerned even though this doesn't seem to serious.

CantRepeat
10-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Ok, Cooler looks fine but I will pressure test it to be sure.

I did in fact have to empty bilge once this summer because water was at least up to blower level. My mooring cover was not tented properly and my cover became loose causing rainfall to fill up bilge. I'm thinking this incident caused water to infiltrate tranny.

If my boat is winterized in the garage, how do I go about flushing tranny besides the obvious (fill,empty,refill)?

Thanks for the help guys! I'm concerned even though this doesn't seem to serious.

If you already winterized I would just fill the trans to the correct level and leave it for next spring. Then run it for a few hours and check the color. If it looks discolored change it.

As far as how the water got in it could have been from letting the bilge fill to high. There should be a breather on the trans that might have let water in.

mart_it
10-11-2011, 06:42 PM
If you already winterized I would just fill the trans to the correct level and leave it for next spring. Then run it for a few hours and check the color. If it looks discolored change it.

As far as how the water got in it could have been from letting the bilge fill to high. There should be a breather on the trans that might have let water in.

Thanks for helping me sleep better tonight!

CantRepeat
10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks for helping me sleep better tonight!

No worries, if it's cold just ask your wife to snuggle. (free tip there) :D

sp00ky
10-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Based on the color I don't think its water in there it looks old to me. I had to change my trans cooler cause fluid was like strawberry milk.

CantRepeat
10-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Based on the color I don't think its water in there it looks old to me. I had to change my trans cooler cause fluid was like strawberry milk.

That's because your trans runs trans fluid where as his runs motor oil.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Before I got rid of the bad exhaust manifold my boat came with, I was getting water in the engine oil. It was quite a bit lighter in color. It would also separate quickly, with the water settling to the bottom. If you still have the brown liquid around, put it in a clear container and give it a little time.

mikeg205
10-12-2011, 12:05 AM
could be too late to the party...which trans does your ride have?

mart_it
10-12-2011, 07:36 AM
could be too late to the party...which trans does your ride have?

Found out I have the 1:52:1 Velvet. Thought it was the 1:1!

CantRepeat
10-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Found out I have the 1:52:1 Velvet. Thought it was the 1:1!

Strange that it would have motor oil in it, but I did hear a recommendation of going to oil over trans fluid to reduce noise.

:huh:

mart_it
10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Strange that it would have motor oil in it, but I did hear a recommendation of going to oil over trans fluid to reduce noise.

:huh:

Indeed......Unless that's tranny fluid gone bad?

CantRepeat
10-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Indeed......Unless that's tranny fluid gone bad?

Does it smell burnt? If it is trans fluid and it's that discolored I would think it would have a burnt spell to it.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Does it smell burnt? If it is trans fluid and it's that discolored I would think it would have a burnt spell to it.

Not to mention a burned smell.:rolleyes:

CantRepeat
10-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Not to mention a burned smell.:rolleyes:

That too!!

thatsmrmastercraft
10-12-2011, 10:46 AM
That too!!

I couldn't help myself:D:D

mart_it
10-12-2011, 12:35 PM

Nope...smells like oil.
Ok so I'm guessing the previous owner did know about swapping from tranny fluid to motor oil.

I'll be replacing damper plate over the winter, I started noticing rattling after engaging tranny at idle, It used to rattle only in reverse, but has now started to do it in forward also. It does go away after picking up speed.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Do you possibly have a combination of trans fluid and oil? I would flush if a couple times with 15W40 before doing any running.

Nope...smells like oil.
Ok so I'm guessing the previous owner did know about swapping from tranny fluid to motor oil.

I'll be replacing damper plate over the winter, I started noticing rattling after engaging tranny at idle, It used to rattle only in reverse, but has now started to do it in forward also. It does go away after picking up speed.

It is really hard to flush all the trans fluid out. I suspect the PO didn't get all the trans fluid out when he put the oil in. That won't harm anything if that is the case, as trans fluid is a better lubricant then motor oil. I would flush it once or twice with cheap oil before you fill it with good oil and take it out on the water and you should be good.

mikeg205
10-12-2011, 03:35 PM
scary seeing something like that considering all the resources to find out what kind of fluid your tranny takes....

you could send a sample to black stone labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com to see if there is something bad lurking in the tranny.

Hope its ok...

mart_it
10-12-2011, 04:42 PM
scary seeing something like that considering all the resources to find out what kind of fluid your tranny takes....

you could send a sample to black stone labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com to see if there is something bad lurking in the tranny.

Hope its ok...

I'm pretty sure everything is fine. PO took good care of her, i'm thinking it wasn't changed in a couple years, it ran perfect all summer and hit 46mph nonetheless. I'm a very methodical and meticulous guy, I'll just flush and refill..