PDA

View Full Version : how to change water separator filter and fuel pump filter?

pbgbottle
10-09-2011, 12:17 PM
hi everyone newbie to the forum .i just picked up a 1988 tristar 190 and am wanting to clean it up and put it way for the winter .

just curious how i open up the water separator and fuel pump don't want to destroy anything also the impeller do i just undo the screws and it is inside the pump. or will it be all glued closed.?

thanks in advance ,i'm surre there will be a ton more questions when i go to winterize it next week . my old boat had an outboard , and i didn't do much to it when winterizing.:eek:

Jake

Crafty1
10-24-2011, 10:20 PM
I have a '93 Prostar, and don't know if they are the same, but the water separator is just a screw on cannister (like an oil filter) and the raw water pump impeller front cover just comes off when you remove the screws (there is a gasket that seals it on).

Cloaked
10-24-2011, 10:31 PM
hi everyone newbie to the forum .i just picked up a 1988 tristar 190 and am wanting to clean it up and put it way for the winter .

just curious how i open up the water separator and fuel pump don't want to destroy anything also the impeller do i just undo the screws and it is inside the pump. or will it be all glued closed.?

thanks in advance ,i'm surre there will be a ton more questions when i go to winterize it next week . my old boat had an outboard , and i didn't do much to it when winterizing.:eek:

JakeJake,
Do you have the 351 direct drive?

pbgbottle
10-25-2011, 01:07 AM
yes it is the 351 direct drive. i got the impeller out . haven't touched the fuel pump filter or the water separator yet. the water separator is not a spin on canister style.i guess i will take some pics. here is a pic of the fuel pump
(mine looks very similiar) i found on the net how does this open up?
or does it not ,is it just a drain on the bottom i thought i was told there was a filter in there .

any info would be great Jake see pic .

Starshack
10-25-2011, 02:07 PM
When I opened up my 1989 PS 190 there was no cartridge and I could not find replacement - I left it inline and installed a spin on filter assembly between the fuel tank and it. Had no problems and the spin on is an easy change. I now have a 92 PS with the same set up which was put in by the prior owner. Dirty fuel or water in fuel is your enemy so you can't have too many filters as long as you don't restrict flow. Also can't put too much Seafoam through an engine. I have done a lot of offshore sailing and we always had multiple fuel filters on the diesel engines.

Kevin 89MC
10-25-2011, 05:11 PM
The fuel filter on my '89 is right under the pump, very similar to the one in your picture. Loosen the screw on the bottom, pull the bracket off to the side, and remove the canister. Filter is inside the canister. For the water separator, mine is on the starboard side of the bilge, I think I need to loosen a plastic bolt, then it spins off, filter inside again.
Good luck,
Kevin

Cloaked
10-25-2011, 09:01 PM
That is the correct fuel pump. Remove it from the block and replace it with a like-for-like part (skidim.com) and bolt the new one right back on. I also like to have a spare fuel pump. They always break on Friday afternoon.