PDA

View Full Version : Broken hull plug.

fire10
10-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Has anyone had problems with braking the plastic insert that the t handle plug goes into. If so is it an easy fix? I have a 2008 x1. broke the plug insert today.

mikeg205
10-08-2011, 05:43 PM
plastic? replace with a brass..unit...www.skidim.com....

fire10
10-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Hey thanks.I will check it out. Yep it was plastic.

Yellow X9
10-08-2011, 06:13 PM
+ 2 on the Brass T

mikeg205
10-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Hey thanks.I will check it out. Yep it was plastic.

wow...that's crazy that MC would make that plastic... used sooo often.... well shouldn't complain..one of the power window regulators on my 2002 explorer crapped out today...took it apart...found the broken part...guess what...can't just buy the broken plastic part..lol...have to laugh cause its a bit absurd....

good luck on the refit of the plug...

MIskier
10-08-2011, 07:05 PM
It's not really plastic the plug and insert are made of a composite material called delrin that is non-reactive and therefore not corrosive. I cant remember the suppliers name though off the top of my head, so if you want OEM call your dealer and see who makes the part.

mikeg205
10-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Hi MI...hate to split polymers with ya but... Delrin = Polyoxymethylene (POM), also known as acetal,[1] polyacetal, and polyformaldehyde, is an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts that require high stiffness, low friction and excellent dimensional stability....

thanks...though made me look it up...:toast:

bturner2
10-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Changed my Derlin (plastic) plug out last year. Went from a PITA, easily cross threaded POS to a quality brass fitting. The holes were very close to a direct replacement. Needed to use a heat gun to soften the adhesive sealer but had the job done in 15 minutes. No more problems. Sometimes when something isn't broken it's best to not fix it.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Changed my Derlin (plastic) plug out last year. Went from a PITA, easily cross threaded POS to a quality brass fitting. The holes were very close to a direct replacement. Needed to use a heat gun to soften the adhesive sealer but had the job done in 15 minutes. No more problems. Sometimes when something isn't broken it's best to not fix it.

Words to live by.

Kyle
10-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Words to live by.

So that's my problem. I can't leave well enough alone lol.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-09-2011, 06:32 PM
So that's my problem. I can't leave well enough alone lol.

There is a huge difference between proactively heading off a problem with preventive maintenance and tinkering. Tinkering always leads to problems.

Kyle
10-09-2011, 07:23 PM
There is a huge difference between proactively heading off a problem with preventive maintenance and tinkering. Tinkering always leads to problems.

I'll start using "Preventive Maintenance" as justification for my many projects. I love that term.

Someone on here should use the "Preventive Maintenance" for justifying a new stereo in their boat to their wife.

mikeg205
10-09-2011, 09:13 PM
hear, hear!!! preventive tinkering it is... I almost pulled my carter fuel pump to check screens after reading all the fuel pump threads....SO I went out looked at had a beer and decided not to tinker after all...:uglyhamme

thatsmrmastercraft
10-09-2011, 11:05 PM

I'll start using "Preventive Maintenance" as justification for my many projects. I love that term.

hear, hear!!! preventive tinkering it is... I almost pulled my carter fuel pump to check screens after reading all the fuel pump threads....SO I went out looked at had a beer and decided not to tinker after all...:uglyhamme

On second thought, there is a very fine line between tinkering and performing necessary work. This line is often obscured with the intake of one or more adult beverages, although, as in the above case with`mgorczak1, it isn't always.

Clearly a planned project isn't tinkering.........................unless it starts growing a life of it's own.