PDA

View Full Version : To 'Gunk' or not to 'Gunk'....

d2jp
10-06-2011, 09:30 PM
I hope to squeeze several more weeks of fall skiing before I winterize my boat. In the meantime, I'm doing some PM stuff and wondered how many MC owners use Gunk or some other type of engine cleaner?

My '89 engine is pretty clean for..well...and '89 but the front of the engine has some grime, belt residue, etc. I'd like to make it shine like new, but have also dealt with hard-to-start issues, etc. after cleaning auto engines - even being very careful around electrical parts, it seems that sometimes water and gasoline engines don't mix. I want it clean, but also subscribe to the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' mantra.

Anyone want to share some engine cleaning tips or thoughts?

boater8987
10-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I use a spray- nine product called Greez-Off sprayed on and wiped off with a rag. Has no acid or patroleum product. Use it to clean bilge also, just as good as Gunk or any other cleaner. Will not stain. I have used it remove grease and belt dust on the capet also inside the motor cover area, sprayed on a rag and rub the carpet. Can be removed with water also. I just don't like hosing the motor down with water. Bilge area not a problem to hose down. Also biodegradable.

93Prostar190
10-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Griot's Engine Cleaner and then Engine Bright works great on my cars .... I would be willing to try them on a boat engine .... just be careful with over spray ... I would apply by rag to minimize need for water.

ctjahn
10-06-2011, 10:12 PM
I used a biodegradable degreaser and a cheap brush... Then soaked some rags with brake cleaner and wiped it all down by hand bit by bit... (But I am a bit more "particular" than most; followed by some paint.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38674&page=2

thatsmrmastercraft
10-07-2011, 01:19 AM
My boat came with a very clean engine and has been easy to maintain. I have done lots of car engines with engine cleaner. I always disconnected the connectors, gave them a shot of electrical contact cleaner, them a dab of di-electric grease. Then put plastic bags over the carb and distributor and went to town. Never a problem. If you do have problems restarting, it is a sign that there is a problem waiting to happen somewhere down the line. Also, use that di-electric grease on bothe ends of the plug and coil wires.

gr82bgreen
10-07-2011, 11:41 AM
engine degreaser or engine shampoo is designed to be sprayed on, left for several minutes and then pressure washed off. This is ok in an engine compartment, but would leave a big mess in the interior of a boat. I second the brake clean with a bristle brush or even an old toothbrush and then a rag. No worries about moisture entering the electrical.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-07-2011, 11:51 AM
engine degreaser or engine shampoo is designed to be sprayed on, left for several minutes and then pressure washed off. This is ok in an engine compartment, but would leave a big mess in the interior of a boat. I second the brake clean with a bristle brush or even an old toothbrush and then a rag. No worries about moisture entering the electrical.

Nothing a couple cheap blue tarps couldn't take care of if you have an engine that needs that much de-greasing.

gr82bgreen
10-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Nothing a couple cheap blue tarps couldn't take care of if you have an engine that needs that much de-greasing.

True, but the OP was also concerned about water inrtusion to the electronics, so I just gave him a viable option.

mikeg205
10-07-2011, 06:33 PM
me three...a rag sprayed with wd-40 does the trick...here...got mine super clean too and I keep it that way... put dielectric on all connection to keep moisture away too on electrical connections...

here's my baby...

thatsmrmastercraft
10-07-2011, 10:43 PM
me three...a rag sprayed with wd-40 does the trick...here...got mine super clean too and I keep it that way... put dielectric on all connection to keep moisture away too on electrical connections...

here's my baby...

Very clean.:cool:

mikeg205
10-08-2011, 07:11 PM
thanks...going to repaint the silver lettering this spring...

d2jp
10-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks for all of the ideas/suggestions!

Most of the serious cleaning needs to be done on the forward area of the engine. I have a shop rag account with Cintas, a new supply of Nitrile gloves and several types of degreasers at my disposal. I may try the WD-40 route first as that is least likely to upset any electrical components.

I'll grab some 'before' pics and post them here later this weekend.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-08-2011, 10:54 PM
We do love pictures, don't we.

d2jp
10-09-2011, 03:41 PM
We do love pictures, don't we.

Pretty much as it was when I bought it this June:
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp355/d2jp/MasterCraft/Engine003.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp355/d2jp/MasterCraft/Engine001.jpg
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp355/d2jp/MasterCraft/Engine004.jpg

mikeg205
10-09-2011, 04:03 PM
hey that's in nice shape...seen many a very rusty engine...

Kyle
10-09-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm not one to follow instructions well and I know that the "gunk" or any other engine degreaser says to pressure wash the engine. Here's what I'd do. Spray the absolute heck out of the engine with the "gunk" or what ever degreaser you use. The rinse part would be hot water from kitchen sink as hot as it goes and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. Pour the hot water over engine to rinse.

Make a mental note. Brake cleaner can make paint peal and cause it to become soft and flake off.

WD40 will make it look good but collect dust like crazy and you will have to rinse and wash frequently.

I would "Gunk" it and hot water. "Gunk" will have some pressure behind it and you can use a few cans if you have some caked areas. This way will leave engine dry instead of oil film left behind wd40 and not spatter grease spots all over upholstery. If desired a hose with water pressure turned down can be used for the tight areas.

Another thing about brake cleaner it could discolor the black and leave spray marks or wipe marks from a rag.

Just some things to think about.