PDA

View Full Version : Check your transmission cooler inlet screen while winterizing1

Meeker
10-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Just bought a 2004 X-30. Winterized it today and found lots of impeller pieces on the cooler inlet screen. It's a good time to check when you are pulling hoses to winterize.

mtajpa
10-06-2011, 09:18 PM
I hope you checked your impeller?

Meeker
10-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Didn't get that far today, but I will definitely replace the impeller.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-07-2011, 01:25 AM
I check it at winterization time and several time throughout the summer. Usually find a weed or two.............sometimes more. May save a problem on the water.

ntidsl
10-10-2011, 08:40 AM
I drain my tranny cooler every Sunday. Nice hot steamy water to clean the bilge out...plus reassurance...only takes two seconds.

Slinkyredfoot
10-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Funny you should mention this, winterized my boat yesterday and the cooler was full of weeds, not anymore.

mikeg205
10-10-2011, 10:22 AM
I used to check once a year...this year the illinois river had lots of floating duck weed...after on afternoon on that water...decided to check tranny cooler...yup...cooler had some crud in it... I will be check more often...backflushed it as well due to the design of the unit as well as opened drain plug to rinse and sediment...

autgbm
10-29-2011, 04:44 PM
How do you check and clean this ...not sure where it is on my x-30.

Gary

gotta_ski
10-29-2011, 10:35 PM
How do parts of the impeller end up in the tranny cooler? I thought the cooler got the water first, then the impeller?

psychobilly
10-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Don't quote me on this but I believe that most of your newer boats have them after the raw water pump and ours is before. I installed a sea strainer and I don't have to worry about weeds and such anymore getting in my tranny cooler but since my tranny cooler is before the raw water pump I have to make sure I check my impeller. That's OK since I pull it every winter anyway, but there's always that fluke.... I reckon this is why they sarted putting them after the WP.

The sea strainer is a sweet addition. Easy to check and clean... POM ;)

mikeg205
10-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Don't quote me on this but I believe that most of your newer boats have them after the raw water pump and ours is before. I installed a sea strainer and I don't have to worry about weeds and such anymore getting in my tranny cooler but since my tranny cooler is before the raw water pump I have to make sure I check my impeller. That's OK since I pull it every winter anyway, but there's always that fluke.... I reckon this is why they sarted putting them after the WP.

The sea strainer is a sweet addition. Easy to check and clean... POM ;)

great idea on the sea strainer...caution on those...read many threads where that device impaired water flow...due to bad seal when cleaned and reinstalled.