PDA

View Full Version : Rattle when putting into gear

Redstorm
10-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Have a 2001 prostar 205v with the LTR 330hp. Hesitant to post this in the event of getting bad news. When put into gear there is a slight rattle noise for a few seconds and then goes away. Forward and reverse. It does not sound like gears but like a throw-out bearing sounds... if that makes sense. Very new to V-Drives. Allways had I/Os. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

thatsmrmastercraft
10-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm a direct drive guy, but I think the advice will be to pull the starter and look for debris. I assume you have checked your transmission fluid.

FrankSchwab
10-04-2011, 04:57 PM
You might want to take a look at the 15w-40 fluid change ECN (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=374348&postcount=21):

JerryW
10-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Sounds like it could be the damper plate going and the springs rattling. Search on damper plate, and you should get quite a few hits.

Redstorm
10-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Fluid looks good.
Makes sense. In my harley I put heavier fluid in my trani and it got rid of the light clatter when shifting. It was recommended as well and stated almost the same as the Sevice Advisory. I will try this as well. Thanks!
If by chance it is the damper plate.....how hard is it to get to? I will also do a search for threads. Again thanks

captain planet
10-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Sounds like it could be the damper plate going and the springs rattling. Search on damper plate, and you should get quite a few hits.

Times 2......

The damper plate is the buffer between the crank shaft and the transmission. You have to pull the transmission to get to it.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Large job. Go the fluid change route.

rem_pss308
10-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Mine was rattleing a little and it ended up being a worn out idler pully. that fixed mine.

I have the ltr also. I took the old one to napa and they had one to match.

Redstorm
08-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Sorry for the late...late update! Did the fluid change and reduced the rattle considerably! At first rattle was wose and then checked the level. Was low and added and less noise.
Thanks guys!

Rukowh
08-05-2012, 01:47 PM
I have a 2000 prostar 205v with the same set up. 330 hp LTR with hurth V drive. I understand that this rattle is very common and is more of a nuisance than a mechanical problem. mastercraft's solution for this was to substitute 15w40 oil in place of the dextron transmission fluid. The later boats use the same 15w40 in the trany and engine. Mine only has around 130 hrs. On it and it makes a little rattle when put in gear and at idle speed. It goes away when the drive line actually has some pressure on it. I haven't changed over yet but I plan to do it this week because my gas gauge is acting up so I'll have the rear seat out anyway.

Redstorm
08-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Mmmmm.....gas gauge in mine as well! Understand this too is a common problem. It runs out of gas at 1/2 tank. People have replaced the sending unit in theirs and it comes back. Left mine as is. Let me know what yours is doing and what your fix is. I would change the trani fluid over. Drain the Trany fluid out the filter hole not the dipstick. U will get all of it out.

Rukowh
08-06-2012, 08:33 AM
My gas gauge stays on full. Don't know if I'll get to it this week or not after all. It goes to E when the key is off so I'm pretty sure it's a sending unit issue.

BallBushing
08-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Same engine with Hurth V drive. Changed over to 15w40 last winter, much quieter, 457 hrs.