PDA

View Full Version : 2008 x2 attitude plate

Millertime
10-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Hello All
I love this site it's been extremely helpful in my search for my new to me boat.
I am new to the teamtalk. I am going to look at a 2008 x2 this weekend in Phoenix. this will be my first MC, we used to have 2007 Searay. The seller had sent me some pictures of the boat and it looks like it is in great shape, about 110 hrs on it. The only pictures that troubled me were the attitude plate, prop and rudder, they aren't damaged but they appear dirty, almost look corroded or water stained. Would this be normal for lakes in that area? Or is it lack of maintenance? Unfortunately I can't post the photos I got. I have seen pictures of other attitude plates and they look almost brand new.
I love this site its been e
Thanks

CantRepeat
10-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Welcome to TT,

You could upload the photos to an image hosting site and link there here for others to see.

tr6coug
10-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Its normal for the rudder and prop to become a kind of dull brown color, not shiny brass looking. I think the wake plate is stainless steel so it should still look like a metal plate.

Millertime
10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
photo of attitude plate

Millertime
10-02-2011, 04:26 PM
photo of attitude plate

Millertime
10-02-2011, 04:29 PM
two more photos

g-mantrix
10-02-2011, 04:34 PM
definately not normal discoloring from fresh water use, must be some other reason they look the way they do. Appears to be corrosive, pics of the rest of boat could tell a story also.

ttu
10-02-2011, 04:35 PM
have to agree with the last post. maybe salt or brackish water.

kgrove
10-02-2011, 05:15 PM
I have an '08 also in Phoenix. What jumped out at me most was what appears to be corrosion around the L-shaped bracket where the actuator joins the wake plate. I don't store my boat in the water, so *maybe* that would happen if the boat was stored wet most of the time. As others pointed out, the other possibility is salt or brackish water, which would mean the boat is not a Phoenix native. None of it looked alarming on it's own, but might be a good indicator that there are other corrosion issues you should take a look at. Generally speaking, Phoenix boats should be pretty clean. I'd look for sun damage - cracking trailer tiers or vinyl. I'd also budget to replace the raw water impeller immediately unless you can prove it was done recently as the heat here warrants replacing those annually.

Millertime
10-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the replies, I've already booked my flight to go see the boat. So hopefully a good cleaning will make them look better. Or the photos making it look worse than it is. Its not a saltwater series so I can't imagine its been in salt water.

rgardjr1
10-02-2011, 09:47 PM
I believe there is an old race track in the Phoenix area that has a lake with brackish water.

Millertime
10-02-2011, 10:08 PM
How concerned should I be about the corrosion? If thats what it is? (from salt or brackish water) If it's inside the cooling system I can't really detect that. I plan on using it only in fresh water, but is this going to cause issues down the road?

kgrove
10-03-2011, 10:06 AM
I believe there is an old race track in the Phoenix area that has a lake with brackish water.

Forgot about that one. Firebird Raceway has a members only ski lake - Firebird Watersports. I've never been in it, but have heard the water is more saline than the ocean and is nasty stuff.

Take the boat to Arizona Luxury Marine (formerly AZ Mastercraft) before you buy it. They may recognize the boat as they may do the service , but I'm sure they are familiar with what that lake does to boats.

Millertime
10-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the input guys. A little update, I did go and test the boat out, it ran fantastic and appeared to be in great shape. So I'm proud to say I'm a X2 owner. The discoloration was not as bad as it appeared, with a little elbow grease I was able to clean most of it up. I made sure to quiz the previous owner about saltwater and he assured me it's never been in saltwater. Unfortunately it was stored wet for the previous year or so. Could be the reason for discolor. Given that spring is so far away, I should have it looking like new by then. and thanks for the advice kgrove, I'm taking it in to mastercraft this spring for the 100hr and be sure to replace impellers.
Feels pretty good be a mastercraft owner, its going to be a long winter.