PDA

View Full Version : Question in regard to 2010 X-star with a heater....

GregS
10-02-2011, 10:36 AM
How does the water from the block go through the heater core? Does the water from the engine always circulate through the heater core....and when you turn on the fan for the heater...it just blows across the core? If thats the case...then if you winterize using RV antifreeze...shouldn't it go through the core as well?

vision
10-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Once the engine reaches temp, it does circulate. The switch, as you indicated, just controls the fan. But, other owners have experienced core leaks even with engine anti-freeze treatment which in part leads to the recommendation by some to physically blow out the heater core and/or directly run AF through it.

I think the problem is that water flow through the tiny channels in the core is far from even and that if water remains in just a few channels, the thin wall of the core splits easily with freezing.

GregS
10-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks....its in a garage...I think we are fine.

Do you know where the core is located?

Thanks, Greg

Jerseydave
10-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks....its in a garage...I think we are fine.

Do you know where the core is located?

Thanks, Greg

On my '05 it's in the starboard rear locker, not sure about 2010.

What I do is after I winterize the engine I remove both heater hoses from the engine then blow into one hose (yes with my lips) until all the water comes out the other hose. Then take a funnel and start filling the hose with pink RV anti freeze. Blow it out again and fill it again just to be sure. Re-connect hoses to engine and you're good to go.