PDA

View Full Version : INDY 500...anyone every been?

Jerseydave
10-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm thinking of buying tickets for the 2012 Indy 500 next year (sunday race only)

Any experiences from anyone on this? Suggestions?

Mgboyd25
10-01-2011, 06:14 PM
I have been to the Brickyard 400 Nascar race there a few times and had a blast. I heard that the Indy Cars go around so fast its hard to keep track of the race but anyway its the Indy 500 so thats cool enough itself!

Double D
10-01-2011, 08:45 PM
We have also been to the Brickyard 400 and I really think the quality of the race depends on where you sit and how much of the track you can see. I love Martinsville because there really isn't a bad seat. Michigan sucked because it was too big and all we saw was turn three. I was concerned about the 400 due to it's size but we were on the front stretch and saw them come off turn four and head through turn one, so it wasn't too bad.

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

trickskier
10-02-2011, 07:42 AM
I've been to the Indy 500 several times. Go for the "Event" not the race. You cannot see around the track as there are a lot of trees in the infield. Even sitting in the upper deck it's hard to see the cars coming down the track because they run close to the wall.

It's worth going to say that you've been, make sure to go to the parade on Saturday.

My suggestion would be to go to the Daytona 500 - Buy seats in the Sprint, Petty, or Earnhardt Tower. Make sure to get row 36 or higher because there is a 3 story media center that will block your view if you're lower.

CantRepeat
10-02-2011, 07:46 AM
I've been to the Indy 500 several times. Go for the "Event" not the race. You cannot see around the track as there are a lot of trees in the infield. Even sitting in the upper deck it's hard to see the cars coming down the track because they run close to the wall.

It's worth going to say that you've been, make sure to go to the parade on Saturday.

My suggestion would be to go to the Daytona 500 - Buy seats in the Sprint, Petty, or Earnhardt Tower. Make sure to get row 36 or higher because there is a 3 story media center that will block your view if you're lower.

I've heard this from friends that live there. It was more of an out of control drunk-fest and the race is pretty hard to see.

trickskier
10-02-2011, 07:49 AM
I've heard this from friends that live there. It was more of an out of control drunk-fest and the race is pretty hard to see.

Which race Indy or Daytona?

CantRepeat
10-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Which race Indy or Daytona?

Indy, sorry.

They have told it gets pretty bad, so bad they don't even bother going anymore.

trickskier
10-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Indy, sorry.

They have told it gets pretty bad, so bad they don't even bother going anymore.

The infield gets pretty bad but that's an entirely crowd. There's usually over 400,000 people attending the Indy 500 - I've never seen a fight!

I'll also add that I see just as many drunks at a football game - College or NFL.

CantRepeat
10-02-2011, 08:12 AM
The infield gets pretty bad but that's an entirely crowd. There's usually over 400,000 people attending the Indy 500 - I've never seen a fight!

I've always wanted to go see the race and meet some of the drivers. That was back in the Unser days, not so much anymore. Knowing that I couldn't see most of the track and the race I kind of just passed on the invites. :(

trickskier
10-02-2011, 08:23 AM
I've always wanted to go see the race and meet some of the drivers. That was back in the Unser days, not so much anymore. Knowing that I couldn't see most of the track and the race I kind of just passed on the invites. :(

Al Unser Sr. won the first Indy 500 that I attended.

You need to go to the Daytona 500 or one of the races at Talladega.

CantRepeat
10-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Al Unser Sr. won the first Indy 500 that I attended.

You need to go to the Daytona 500 or one of the races at Talladega.

I've still got a photo with Al Unser Jr and my daughter from Atlanta from back in the day. I would rather see Daytona over Talladega. Talladega is another track where you don't get to see too much racing.

This is OT but damn! http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/7035001/al-unser-jr-clocked-100-mph-charged-dwi

trickskier
10-02-2011, 08:38 AM
I've still got a photo with Al Unser Jr and my daughter from Atlanta from back in the day. I would rather see Daytona over Talladega. Talladega is another track where you don't get to see too much racing.

This is OT but damn! http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/7035001/al-unser-jr-clocked-100-mph-charged-dwi

You can see the entire track if you sit in one of the towers.

BallBushing
10-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Talladega in 3 weeks. Staying in a motor home in the infield. We have a suite & pit passes during the race. In the pits you're literally 10 feet from the car as it skids in gets tires & gas then burns out.

Also scheduled for a pace car ride prior to the race Sunday. Had one last year. As we approached turn #1 we're doing 145. I'm waiting for the driver (ex NASCAR) to start slowing for the turn, doesn't happen. He's chatting like it's a Sunday morning drive to church. Inches from the wall, amazing experience.

FoggyNogginz
10-02-2011, 09:31 AM
I used to live there and we went a few times. It really depends on what your goals are I think. If you want to watch the race then I'd suggest staying at home, but if you want a true Indy experience with party folks and gear heads then it's a darn good time. Not recommended for families in my opinion.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

ahhudgins
10-02-2011, 09:40 AM
My sister went to two Indy car races but I'm not sure which track she went to. She said the same thing, she could hear the cars but could see very little of the actual race.

I'm going to talk her into going with us to Charlotte for the NHRA drag races the next time we go. I don't know if all tracks are the same, but I was VERY impressed with the personel at the event and all of the drivers and pit crews. It's definitely a nice family event.

If you do go be sure to post some pictures!

CantRepeat
10-02-2011, 09:43 AM
I used to live there and we went a few times. It really depends on what your goals are I think. If you want to watch the race then I'd suggest staying at home, but if you want a true Indy experience with party folks and gear heads then it's a darn good time. Not recommended for families in my opinion.

This is pretty accurate to what my friends have said.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-02-2011, 10:23 AM
My sister went to two Indy car races but I'm not sure which track she went to. She said the same thing, she could hear the cars but could see very little of the actual race.

I'm going to talk her into going with us to Charlotte for the NHRA drag races the next time we go. I don't know if all tracks are the same, but I was VERY impressed with the personel at the event and all of the drivers and pit crews. It's difinitely a nice family event.

If you do go be sure to post some pictures!

Charlotte is a crazy NHRA race, they race 4 wide

ahhudgins
10-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Charlotte is a crazy NHRA race, they race 4 wide

We've been to Zmax 3 times and my wife LOVES it. My work schedule didn't allow us to go this fall.:mad:

X25John
10-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Indy 500 is truly a spectacle. You need to experience it once in your life. Best seats IMO are turn three on the outside up high. You will see them coming out of turn two into three and into four. Go to Ky speedway to see the whole field and witness incredible speeds. I've been to both and prefer Ky.

Kevin Elson
10-02-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm thinking of buying tickets for the 2012 Indy 500 next year (sunday race only)

Any experiences from anyone on this? Suggestions?
Been going to the race for the last 20 years. If you have never been it is a great experience. Traffic is the biggest issue but there are ways around the traffic. You want to buy seats in one of the turns and stay away from the seats that are between turns. Straight away is ok but hard to see race cars when they are passing by at 230 MPH. Will you becoming from.

Jerseydave
10-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Been going to the race for the last 20 years. If you have never been it is a great experience. Traffic is the biggest issue but there are ways around the traffic. You want to buy seats in one of the turns and stay away from the seats that are between turns. Straight away is ok but hard to see race cars when they are passing by at 230 MPH. Will you becoming from.

Hope to be coming from a friends house in Warsaw IN (so coming from the north).

One person told me to try and get seats under the roof near the start/finish line because it can get really hot sometimes at the end of May and it's almost unbearable out in the open sun.

Fletchx7
10-03-2011, 09:30 AM
We always sit in the Paddock stands close to turn 4. You can see turn 4 and cars coming from 3 into the short shoot, plus the entrance to pit road. If you're high enough, you can see parts of 3. And the best part, it shaded. The only other place I have sat is Tower Terrace overlooking the Pits. It shaded if you are at the top, but you really can only see the front straight and part of 4.

ski_king
10-03-2011, 10:09 AM
It is looking like the Indy Racing League is in a decline and who knows how long it will be around. Other than the Indy 500, the attendence is almost non existant. I just heard last night they lost another oval course for next year, which leaves them only 4 or 5 oval courses counting Indy.

Also, Danica is gone, which did help draw some attention. However Simona de Silvestro is a much better driver than Danica and almost as good looking.

Hopefully the IRL will work something out, or the Indy 500 may become a thing of the past in a few years.

CantRepeat
10-03-2011, 10:26 AM
It is looking like the Indy Racing League is in a decline and who knows how long it will be around. Other than the Indy 500, the attendence is almost non existant. I just heard last night they lost another oval course for next year, which leaves them only 4 or 5 oval courses counting Indy.

Also, Danica is gone, which did help draw some attention. However Simona de Silvestro is a much better driver than Danica and almost as good looking.

Hopefully the IRL will work something out, or the Indy 500 may become a thing of the past in a few years.

I agree! I completely stopped watching and going to races when Tony George thought he could take over the CART just because he had the signature track. CART was still growing and had a very loyal fan base. It was getting to the point that expansion outside of the USA could really become something big.

The one good thing to come out of IRL was NASCARs biggest growth period.

Tony George knows he blew it:

HC: Given all that you know now -- all that you have been through -- was it all worth it to form the Indy Racing League? And why?

TG: That is a very broad, open question and the only thing I can do is reiterate what I said earlier, but perhaps say it another way.

There is great value in the Indy Racing League; it exists to support the institutions of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500 Mile race; and I am proud of its contributions to the sport.

Tony George stepped down as CEO of Hulman and Co. and resigned from its board in June 2009. His departure came after board members—namely Tony’s three sisters—squabbled over his management of the track and open-wheel series, which has failed to turn a profit in its 15-year history.

BlackMV8
10-04-2011, 10:46 AM
I have been going to the 500 for years. Next year there going back "racing" too. What I mean by this is there will be competition within the sport vs. being dominated by Honda. You would be supporting the Ilmor group too as they will be racing Chevy next year :) (Chevy, Honda and Lotus)
It is defiantly a fun event to go to. I agree with the statement of sitting under cover on the straightaway. There is a large TV in front of you and you can see the pit stops!!!!

CantRepeat
10-04-2011, 11:47 AM
First off let me say this, if I was offered a free weekend at Indy I would go. I'm not bashing the sport, or the drivers of today but it just doesn't hold my interest like it did in the 70s and 80s.

That said, I found this a very interesting write up about the current situation about the IRL and we older fans.

Tom Greenacres is right
Tina MarchanaFebruary 18, 2011 7:24 PM

Multitude of entertainment options. More on the way. What's more, the Indianapolis 500, ironically, is hobbled by its place on the annual calendar. Memorial Day weekend is the send-off to Summer and hundreds of thousands choose outdoor activities in parks and campsites. Compounding this situation, the "500" is far removed from the "radio event" must-listen too, even if in the background, as it was in the heyday of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Now the IMS Radio Network is borne more of nostalgia than necessity.

What once was great, is now of much smaller stature. Defined now more as a charming, Americana regional curiosity on a Sunday morn once a year, than a monumental "largest single-day sporting event in the world". Still a Midwestern "Mardi Gras" to be sure, but wait! Why so many Brazilian's, Australian's, Japanese, and Europeans, in the John Cougar Mellencamp-sound tracked, aw shucks, sycamore-treed Crossroads of America on this red, white, and blue, sunny Spring time day of memory? How does that fit with the BBQ ribs and bucket of chicken, as the "MEN" hurtle their machines across the great race track? The Men? Men named Simona and Danica. Polish on their toenails, not grease under their fingers. This is Indy?

And so the sport and the event is a victim of numerous things, not the least if which is confusion, a sense of being out of place anymore, and a population that is not really interested in cars and races much anymore and certainly could care less about a Swedish woman or a diminuitive Brazilian dancer driving around in cars perceived to be "driving themselves" so technically-advanced are they the actual race driver is a non-hero, expensive toy purchaser from a wealthy background.

The Indy 500 of today is very much a nostalgia-based event, more akin to the Kentucky Derby or the Major League Baseball All-Star Game. Steeped in tradition and once a mighty moment annually, but now relegated to lower-tier, ah here we go, it's that time of year again, time to trot 'er out for another one, gathering of fewer and fewer people, who care less and less about the actual sport, but gather at the struggle of letting go off the staid old traditions they have clung to for life. And that is ok. It has its place. But not at the top. No more. Not by a long list.

Jerseydave
10-04-2011, 08:48 PM
First off let me say this, if I was offered a free weekend at Indy I would go. I'm not bashing the sport, or the drivers of today but it just doesn't hold my interest like it did in the 70s and 80s.

That said, I found this a very interesting write up about the current situation about the IRL and we older fans.

That description could fit NASCAR racing today also. :D
(I use to be a pretty big fan of NASCAR but now it doesn't interest me much at all)
Not the same without Petty, Dale Earnhardt, Allison, etc. Jimmp Spencer was always good for some drama as well!

CantRepeat
10-05-2011, 06:39 AM
That description could fit NASCAR racing today also. :D
(I use to be a pretty big fan of NASCAR but now it doesn't interest me much at all)
Not the same without Petty, Dale Earnhardt, Allison, etc. Jimmp Spencer was always good for some drama as well!

I agree. I don't watch many races especially during boating season. :D

blakehardesty
10-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Hope to be coming from a friends house in Warsaw IN (so coming from the north).

One person told me to try and get seats under the roof near the start/finish line because it can get really hot sometimes at the end of May and it's almost unbearable out in the open sun.

From warsaw to indy you will be driving right by my business. Warsaw is 25 minutes away. Oh and the 500 is a great experience. For everyone partying there will be people not. Its not like everyone is attending the drunkfest.