PDA

View Full Version : Can Safety Lanyards Go Bad?

Mgboyd25
10-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Got stuck on the water last week and thought it was the fuel pump. Was ready to replace the fuel pump but my buddy (JKski on here) wanted to check the fuel pressure. Fuel gauge read 60psi and decided we would try to to start the boat. Tried it and she fired right up.
When we were stuck on the lake I checked the safety lanyard and it was attached.
My question, Can the safety lanyards or button that it holds down go bad?
Or does anyone have an other idea what it may be? Maybe bad connection at the fuel pump?
Thanks in Advance:confused:

Jerseydave
10-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Kill switches can go bad.

Did you ever let your fuel tank go to 1/4 or less?
Have you changed your fuel recently? Or ever?
Have you ever replaced your fuel pump? Sometimes after a pump cools down it will start working ok, but when it gets hot it doesn't have enough pressure to run the engine.

ahhudgins
10-01-2011, 07:01 PM
I think this would be a good opportunity for everyone to check the operation of their kill switch and observe its function. On my 95 the kill switch opens the ignition circuit. The engine will crank but I have no gauges, no spark, and no fuel pump. When I turn the key to the run position (lanyard removed) the fuel pump does not prime and the gauges do not move.

The neutral safety switch only opens the starter circuit on my boat. Gauges will operate, fuel pump primes but the starter does not crank.

Mgboyd25
10-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Kill switches can go bad.

Did you ever let your fuel tank go to 1/4 or less?
Have you changed your fuel recently? Or ever?
Have you ever replaced your fuel pump? Sometimes after a pump cools down it will start working ok, but when it gets hot it doesn't have enough pressure to run the engine.

Well I just bought the boat this year and I tried to keep more than a half of a tank in it all year long- Having said that I don't know what the prior Owner had done

I havent changed fuel recently I don't believe... I always put 89 in it and thats what i used the day it died on me

In regards to the fuel pump, Ive never replaced it but the pressure gauge said that it was it was getting 60psi to the fuel rails, I feel like if it was going bad it would not be getting as much pressure.

Im thinking about taking it out to the lake next week and try to monitor the fuel pressure with the gauge after the pump has heated up like you said

Jerseydave
10-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Sorry I miss-typed one item. I meant to say have you ever changed your fuel FILTER recently. They can clog and make it seem as if you have a bad fuel pump when it's just the filter.

I replaced my fuel pump this year just to avoid future problems. '05 x-star with 350 hours.
If you think your pump is original, you may want to do the same. Lots of guys actually carry a spare in the boat just in case (although I would not want to change it out in the middle of the lake)

Mgboyd25
10-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Dave,
I have a 2004 X-7 with 430 hours on it. I believe that it is the original fuel pump but I am not sure . I do think that its a good idea to change just in case too
I know my boat set up different than yours but do you have an idea where the fuel filter is normally located on mastercrafts?

mikeg205
10-01-2011, 08:17 PM
throw some sea foam or other good fuel stabilizer in your tank... sounds like a load of bad gas too.. Keep good stabilizer in your gas if your boat sits for a week between uses... fuel degrades quickly as quick as 7 days without stabilizer... throw some 93 octane gas to refresh the gas... won't hurt.. I've never had a fuel pump fail...I have a '95 pro star with 560 hours... it gets down to a 1/4 tank...then its time to fuel up...I never buy gas on the water... hear too many stories...

Mgboyd25
10-01-2011, 08:48 PM
That would make since as It did sit for about two weeks till I used it. I used it alot more earlier in the summer but got busy at work later in the season and only have been going Saturday mornings