PDA

View Full Version : Need to vent a little..broke my ankle

sp00ky
09-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Well I'm 39 years old been skiing for 30 years. been wakeboarding since 1994. I finally got my first boat this past July. Everything's great got dialed in slalom and my wakeboarding inverts back (after 2 year hiatus).

I broke my ankle 2 weeks ago on a basic back roll (trick I've been landing for 10 years). Cause I go TOO excited trying to show off and WAY over rotated bounced and then hit hard hyperflexing my foot breaking the Talus bone. one time I wish my boots had come off but they didn't

Now I'm boat driver but good news is my 7-year old son just landed his first wake-to-wake and he just learned in July.

Thanks for listening....

thatsmrmastercraft
09-29-2011, 04:24 PM
I can't imagine getting your foot out of the binding with a broken talus bone. OUCH!

Double D
09-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Well I'm 39 years old been skiing for 30 years. been wakeboarding since 1994. I finally got my first boat this past July. Everything's great got dialed in slalom and my wakeboarding inverts back (after 2 year hiatus).

I broke my ankle 2 weeks ago on a basic back roll (trick I've been landing for 10 years). Cause I go TOO excited trying to show off and WAY over rotated bounced and then hit hard hyperflexing my foot breaking the Talus bone. one time I wish my boots had come off but they didn't

Now I'm boat driver but good news is my 7-year old son just landed his first wake-to-wake and he just learned in July.

Thanks for listening....

Spooky,

That's way to weird. Maybe we can both sue MC since we both own 1994 ProStar 205's, and we both broke our ankles while wakeboarding? I was 40 when it happened and was in no way doing your type of trick, but it was a jump I have been doing for years. Just got way out of shape and broke all (they said) three bones in my left ankle.
The hospital saved my binding by unscrewing the sides instead of cutting it, so I still use the same board and bindings. It did however, affect my ability at wakeboarding but mostly from a mental state... :rolleyes: Plus the screws get pushed on when I tighten the binding too much.

Some pics: I think we have a case!!:D

CantRepeat
09-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Did you require surgery or did they just set it and put a cast on?

sp00ky
09-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Spooky,

That's way to weird. Maybe we can both sue MC since we both own 1994 ProStar 205's, and we both broke our ankles while wakeboarding? I was 40 when it happened and was in no way doing your type of trick, but it was a jump I have been doing for years. Just got way out of shape and broke all (they said) three bones in my left ankle.
The hospital saved my binding by unscrewing the sides instead of cutting it, so I still use the same board and bindings. It did however, affect my ability at wakeboarding but mostly from a mental state... :rolleyes: Plus the screws get pushed on when I tighten the binding too much.

Wow that is weird.. and I don't feel as sorry for myself were they ever worried about AVN.

ctjahn
09-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Spooky,

Whats crazier is I have virtually the same repair on my anke (although I broke and dislocated it; so it was sticking out about 12" above where it should have been. BUT... I did it in a pretty wicked racing accident where I suffered other injuries. I am just happy to be walking without a gimp, although I know when the weather is changing now (37 years old) - no one can even tell unless my anke is showing with the MUCH larger bone sticking out

I do have a question though... I just got back on skis after a decade since the accident...and had no trouble (What a blast!). But I still havent been able to find a set of snow skis (I have gone to the dark side: Snowboarding) nor rollerblades that fit without insane pressure on the anke bone where the really long screws are..... This winters project is to remold the boots using a torch and pressure....

Family is all medical; and everyone I talk to say it is riskier to go under and go though surgery again to get all the hardware removed...

Just wondering what others have experienced with this situation. (thought I was alone!)

sp00ky
09-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Did you require surgery or did they just set it and put a cast on?

Nope its a fracture without displacement probably because I bounced first then hit wierd. Most of the energy was used up.

sp00ky
09-29-2011, 10:13 PM
I can't imagine getting your foot out of the binding with a broken talus bone. OUCH!

Yep first thing I did while I still had adrenaline was yank my boots off . Hurt like hell still not sure it was a good idea.

sp00ky
09-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Spooky,

So did you break the talus too or was it isolated to your tibia and fibula.

That stuff scares me

Double D
09-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Wow that is weird.. and I don't feel as sorry for myself were they ever worried about AVN.

AVN??

Yep first thing I did while I still had adrenaline was yank my boots off . Hurt like hell still not sure it was a good idea.

My brother actually starting taking off the binding but it really friggen hurt, so we just unscrewed it from the board and entered the hospital that way.

So did you break the talus too or was it isolated to your tibia and fibula.

That stuff scares me

Not really sure of the proper names. The Emergency Room told me three bones. I only see one on each side.

Double D
09-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Whats crazier is I have virtually the same repair on my anke (although I broke and dislocated it; so it was sticking out about 12" above where it should have been. BUT... I did it in a pretty wicked racing accident where I suffered other injuries. I am just happy to be walking without a gimp, although I know when the weather is changing now (37 years old) - no one can even tell unless my anke is showing with the MUCH larger bone sticking out

I do have a question though... I just got back on skis after a decade since the accident...and had no trouble (What a blast!). But I still havent been able to find a set of snow skis (I have gone to the dark side: Snowboarding) nor rollerblades that fit without insane pressure on the anke bone where the really long screws are..... This winters project is to remold the boots using a torch and pressure....

Family is all medical; and everyone I talk to say it is riskier to go under and go though surgery again to get all the hardware removed...

Just wondering what others have experienced with this situation. (thought I was alone!)

I was lucky it was in a binding and my ankle straightened back out immediately after it broke.

I was also told I had the option to remove the hardware but they suggested not too unless it was constantly painful. Which its not. But I did have to take some padding out of my bindings where the screws are, and my right ankle is larger than the other one and regular boots fit differently.

sp00ky
09-29-2011, 11:26 PM
AVN??

My brother actually starting taking off the binding but it really friggen hurt, so we just unscrewed it from the board and entered the hospital that way.

Not really sure of the proper names. The Emergency Room told me three bones. I only see one on each side.

AVN is where the talus dies and collapses which can be a problem with displaced fractures

Double D
09-30-2011, 08:13 AM
AVN is where the talus dies and collapses which can be a problem with displaced fractures

Ahhh, I don't remember any of that since it was in 2007 and my memory is for sh**! :D

agarabaghi
09-30-2011, 08:15 AM
You need more hardware =P

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302060_594697210190_32901034_32803629_1298068_n.jp g

CantRepeat
09-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Nope its a fracture without displacement probably because I bounced first then hit wierd. Most of the energy was used up.

Well that's good. So you're looking at 6 to 8 weeks in a cast rather then a 16 week recovery.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-30-2011, 10:38 AM

Well, probably saved the price of a new binding:confused::rolleyes:

sp00ky
09-30-2011, 12:59 PM

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302060_594697210190_32901034_32803629_1298068_n.jp g

damn can you still walk?

sp00ky
09-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Well that's good. So you're looking at 6 to 8 weeks in a cast rather then a 16 week recovery.

yeah there about. it feels decent now and it could have been a lot worse

sp00ky
09-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Ahhh, I don't remember any of that since it was in 2007 and my memory is for sh**! :D

I understand its fresh in mine cause I been googling like crazy about it

Double D
09-30-2011, 02:41 PM

Darn, and look how straight those screws are!! My doc missed that day they taught that in shop class!! :D

_fng_
09-30-2011, 03:09 PM
I understand its fresh in mine cause I been googling like crazy about it

any reason you're concerned? AVN isn't very common after talus fracture (especially given your age and likely health level) but something to monitor. Here's an article about the risk. And no double d I didn't google this so the poindexter comments can be held.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2267571/pdf/264_2006_Article_239.pdf

GoneBoatN
09-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Ok. I'm 50yrs old and having my 2nd childhood - that's been going on for a while now and I see no point in stopping. We/I just started wakeboarding a couple seasons ago. Reading this thread makes me a little more satisfied with my wimpy wake-2-wake jump. :)

sp00ky
09-30-2011, 08:23 PM
any reason you're concerned? AVN isn't very common after talus fracture (especially given your age and likely health level) but something to monitor. Here's an article about the risk. And no double d I didn't google this so the poindexter comments can be held.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2267571/pdf/264_2006_Article_239.pdf

Not really concerned because its only a level one type which has very little chance

demetris
10-02-2011, 02:16 PM
New at wake boarding and after seeing the x-rays, makes me back up a bit. You've got quite a bit of hardware in there, dude. What kind of rehab will you be doing? Would it have made much difference with the type of boot you wear?

kskonn
10-06-2011, 04:57 PM
I broke my Fibula last summer. when I landed, the front of the board hit first, I let go of the roap and the board stuck on top of the water. The back of the board came down with a snapping motion and all I knew next was that it hurt. Yanked the board off. Ankle was swollen by the time I got in the boat. My buddies gave me tylenol and beer and continued to wakeboard in my boat for the next two hours. We thought it was a bad sprain but turned out to be a break. about 10 weeks to heal.

ap77
10-08-2011, 02:06 PM
That sounds painful! That's why I love Wake Surfing...it is harder to hurt yourself at 10 mph.