PDA

View Full Version : changing from rubber to stainless gunnel rail

blackTT
09-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Hi,
i have a black 08 tournament team 190. id love to change the rubber gunnel, to the new 2010 and onwards stainless gunnel rail. For both looks and to stop the white paint from guide pole protectors from marking it

Is it possible?

and how do i do it?

thanks dave

Brian B
09-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Dont do it if you ever tie up to other boats. The only blemish on my 01 X10 came from stainless gunnel rail on my friends PWT Xstar. We were tied up in a cove when a boat with a guy surfing came in and went around us. Wasnt too violent but our board racks took a beating as did my gel coat. The Xstar was fine.

blackTT
09-29-2011, 02:01 AM
yeah i can see how that would make a mess of gelcoat.

so far i have never tied up to another boat and we generally ski in no wakeboard zones.

im just sick of the white marks on the rubber from the guide poles. plus i think it would look good on my black boat with chrome stickers

i dont even know if it is possible to do yet, its just an idea.

Miss Rita
09-29-2011, 12:33 PM
changing the rubrail would be a huge PITA, it would be easier to put padded covers on the guide poles. To clean the rubber try 600 grit wet sandpaper, be careful to not sand the anodized aluminum

CantRepeat
09-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Dont do it if you ever tie up to other boats. The only blemish on my 01 X10 came from stainless gunnel rail on my friends PWT Xstar. We were tied up in a cove when a boat with a guy surfing came in and went around us. Wasnt too violent but our board racks took a beating as did my gel coat. The Xstar was fine.

hahah, you tied up and damaged your boat so he shouldn't change his rub rail? :D

Changing out rub rail isn't that hard to do. I changed out the stuff on my 92 and the biggest issue is drilling new holes in your boat. As long as you are comfortable with the drilling it will be an easy job.

Brian B
09-29-2011, 04:00 PM
hahah, you tied up and damaged your boat so he shouldn't change his rub rail? :D

I didnt damage my boat. A situation out of my control damaged my boat. But thanks for laughing at me. :rolleyes:

CantRepeat
09-29-2011, 04:44 PM
I didnt damage my boat. A situation out of my control damaged my boat. But thanks for laughing at me. :rolleyes:

I was laughing at your suggestion not to install SS rub rail. :D

Don't side tie!!

blackTT
09-29-2011, 04:52 PM
So do I buy it from MC or where can I get it from. I'm from Australia, and our MC is a joke and hardly a dealer. I'd just purchase it in USA and ship it over, unless there is somewhere else I can buy it from.

Sodar
09-29-2011, 05:02 PM
So do I buy it from MC or where can I get it from. I'm from Australia, and our MC is a joke and hardly a dealer. I'd just purchase it in USA and ship it over, unless there is somewhere else I can buy it from.

Here is the invoice from when I replaced my rubrail after a little incident of a cleat pulling out of a dock that I had tied to at the river. :mad:

You have to buy the black rubrail and then the Stainless insert. 3 peices did my entire rubrail with some left over.

Good Luck.

blackTT
09-29-2011, 05:21 PM
The freight to get that to australia would be huge! They do build malibu and supra's here, I wonder if they all use the same...