PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Tourque

tcgottarun
09-28-2011, 09:28 PM
My boat has quite a neutral rudder steer and Im looking to add tourque so when we go through the course Im not trying to counter the skiier the entire run. With the advice of the local dealership in my area, Ive tried grinding the trailing right edge of the rudder to give me some right "pull" to the wheel however it didnt make any difference. At the INT Tournaments here in the New England region, Ive noticed the rudders on both a 2011 Tournament Team and a 197. Both boats have their rudders trailing edge ground down on a 45 and approximately 1/4" . Both owners of these boats said that if they let go of the wheel their boats would pull right. Ive duplicated their rudders however mine still has the neutral steer. Any advice?

tommcat
09-29-2011, 07:30 AM
i was able to give mine a severe pull with very little effort, no idea why you dont have the same results. do you have a pic of your rudder you could post up showing where you ground it down?

east tx skier
09-29-2011, 09:27 AM
This is how my old 93 205 came from the factory. It's a bit hard to see, but the grind goes the entire length of the right trailing edge of the rudder. It's basically enough to knock the edge of the rudder.

Link to Rudder Torque FAQ (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=107070&postcount=12)

macattack
09-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Agree with Tommcat, if you duplicated the grind and location from a PS197 rudder, your boat/steering should be loaded to the right. Here's a pic of my 2005 TT rudder...

GT500 MC
09-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Agree with Tommcat, if you duplicated the grind and location from a PS197 rudder, your boat/steering should be loaded to the right. Here's a pic of my 2005 TT rudder...

Macattack - your grind is up the complete rudder whereas eastie's appeared to be only near the bottom. And your's is a "factory" grind? Looks to be big difference. Maybe eastie's goes all the way up but if so, it's not nearly as pronounced as yours appears to be.

jamisonsbrodie
09-29-2011, 11:19 AM
You need to grind a lot more than a 1/4'. We usually grind 1/2-3/4" wide all the way down the trailing right edge.

east tx skier
09-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Macattack - your grind is up the complete rudder whereas eastie's appeared to be only near the bottom. And your's is a "factory" grind? Looks to be big difference. Maybe eastie's goes all the way up but if so, it's not nearly as pronounced as yours appears to be.

Mine was also the length of the rudder. The arrow was just to show the degree of grind at the most noticeable spot. Look at the picture closely again and you should be able to see what I mean. Sorry if that arrow is confusing.

With this level of grind, if you let go of the wheel at above 20 mph, it was spin to the right. In other words, perfect. :)

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2804&stc=1&d=1129056132

tommcat
09-29-2011, 11:49 AM

mine is full length. and it was actually a bit too much from the factory so i took a little bit off the left side to counter it and got a slight pull to the right, which is where i like it

macattack
09-29-2011, 06:03 PM

Yep, this is the factory grind; I haven't touched it. I should have mentioned this is on a 2005 TT, but I bought the 2006 TT rudder upgrade; different shape than the original one...mac

BrianM
09-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Grind more until you get the results you want.

tcgottarun
09-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Gentleman, thanks for the replies. I ground it down and it looks just like "macattacks". I have no idea why I haven't started to notice any pull. I'll take Brians advice and ground a bit more off. One more thing, the dealership here mentioned there was a recall on the '05 rudder. For $100 bucks he said I could get a new one from the factory. Has anyone heard of this recall? Thanks again.

tcgottarun
09-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Tomcat, did your rudder come polished as in your photo?

tommcat
09-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Tomcat, did your rudder come polished as in your photo?

that wasnt my photo but i believe the one you're talking about does come looking like that

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-30-2011, 09:30 PM
If there is a "safety recall", it should not cost you the consumer anything to have it replaced. NHTSA has a phone number 1-888-327-4236 to report dealers trying to charge consumers for recalls. Are you sure its a recall or a service bulletin that is an updated part but is not safety related.