PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on University of Oaklahoma?

TahoeKen
09-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I know this is a little off topic for the MC site, but my oldest son is thinking of attending the University of Oaklahoma next year and I was wondering if anyone on this site either attended or had thoughts on the school.

We currently live in Texas but are originally from the West coast so have no real knowledge of Southern schools. Both my wife and I attended West Coast Universities. We have done the campus tour and to be honest it is a very impressive campus but need to look beyond the facade and dig a little deeper which is why am looking for any insight. I understand that eveyrone has their opinions and biases and we need to make our own decision based on academics and college experience but all feedback is welcome and appreciated.

He is a very bright kid and does very well in school. He is not 100% sure what he wants to do (part of the problem) but is leaning toward either business or pre-med. He was involved in a horrible car accident last year and that experience has led to his interest in pre-med. Since he has not really made up his mind on exactly what he wants to do we thought a well rounded university would be his best option and OU seems to have multiple degree possibilities.

Again, any thoughts or comments would be welcome. By the way, the fact that they have good sports programs does not hurt at all!!

tex
09-28-2011, 01:38 PM
From Texas/Live in Texas-I have had many of friends go to OU-Great school-Great College Town-Where are you at in Texas-Very easy to get to from DFW!

Rockman
09-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Don't you mean Oklahoma?:cool:

east tx skier
09-28-2011, 03:50 PM
http://www.austinfunblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/3100-BC-OU-Still-Sucks.jpg

:)

Sorry. Had to do it. It's simply reactionary. My brother went there. It's a fine school. He's a smart guy. They'll beat Texas like a drum in two weeks. I won't like it, but I'll be reminded of this picture and smile.

Hook 'em!

Good luck with his decision!

Ski-me
09-28-2011, 03:54 PM
My boss is from Oklahoma and is a serious die-hard for the school! I am also use to the west coast schools, Washington State, Univ of Washington (great medical), so I don't know a ton about OK. It seems to be a pretty competitive school and the folks I know that went there are pretty sharp. I am in the engineering field so I would assume they have a very good engineering program.

That's the best I can tell you though.

I think there is a pretty good rivalry with Texas A&M....but that could just be here in the office. :rolleyes:

lanep82
09-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Hook Em.
OU sucks.

You want a real school, to to UT. Plain and simple

TahoeKen
09-28-2011, 04:01 PM

Yes. I meant Oklahoma. :o

Probably not the best way to start out a thread or spell the name of the future school your kid may attend! Hope he is not on-line viewing this forumn.:rolleyes:

pmkkdx
09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't have any direct experience with OU academics or their rankings other than online searches nicely summarized in Wikipedia when looking at the various different schools. as of 2010, U.S. News and World Report ranked OU at 111th for whatever that's worth. Putting aside rivalries, I am sure OU has some very highly qualified degree programs.

my background (engineering) comes from UT and TX A&M with my son attending Baylor (wife's school) to which all are very fine establishments and highly ranked academically.

I would recommend finding the best school in the field most likely the kid will lean towards after a couple of years under their belt. If they are still very wishy washy, I also highly recommend getting all the lower level mandatory 1st & 2nd year classes (english, history, government, etc.) knocked out at a community college at drastically reduced prices while they are trying to formulate a path for their future.

but to end, gig'em & hookem!!! :D

milkmania
09-28-2011, 04:42 PM

beat me to it :toast:

lanep82
09-28-2011, 04:54 PM

You don't see that much in the same sentence :)

east tx skier
09-28-2011, 06:57 PM

My head asploded. 8p

pmkkdx
09-28-2011, 07:20 PM
at least I didn't throw in a growl in that sentence (but probably should with as much $$$ as I poured into Baylor)

east tx skier
09-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Your loyalties came very close to being split over three conferences. :o

CruisinGA
09-28-2011, 10:45 PM
He needs to come East...

GT, 7th ranked public university, #1 in ROI

(#2 in Mechanical Engineering, my degree)

I recently graduated, myself and all my friends are gainfully employed or in grad school. (several in med school)

maxpower220
10-02-2011, 08:32 PM
I moved to OK in 1998, not by choice. I have to say that OU has the most fair weather fans of any school I have been around. Now, everyone is on the band wagon.

Academically, I can't ever recall anyone claiming to be from OU as a good thing (vs a school like RPI, MIT, Harvard, etc). As for living in the Norman area, the school life is very clickish: which is a good and bad thing. You will have that at any school.

However, going to OU doesn't make any sense unless you are: 1. from OK and don't know any better, 2. are a football player looking to get a national title/NFL, 3. have a free ride to there. 4. you are from a ****tier state and that is the best you can do (yes Kansas, I am talking about you) Texas sucks and Kansas blows, it makes OK windy year round. OK has to rank in the bottom 10 of states that have anything or reason to live there. When you have a choice, visit schools like UCSD, USC, U of Miami, Hawaii, U of Ga, Tulane, Boston U or MIT. Schools like these have beautiful scenery. Going to the beach year round or enduring another ice storm or tornado, tough choice.

My claim to fame in college was only wearing shorts to class everyday. USF has/had great weather.