PDA

View Full Version : first clean and wax question

kalamalka
09-28-2011, 12:11 AM
I have a black hull that has been on a lift for 5 weeks. Lots of water spots and scum.

I have never washed or waxed a boat before this fall.

What are my best steps and products to use?

Thanks

ap77
09-28-2011, 12:28 AM
I have had great success with Babe's boat care products.
http://www.babesboats.com/

Every time we take our boat out of the water we spray it down with the spot remover and wipe dry. Then we spray on their wax cleaner and wipe dry. It doesn't take long to do and the boat looks fantastic afterwards.

Not sure about the scum under your boat, but if it is not too bad the water spot remover and a wipe down should work.

Kyle
09-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Spray kaboom shower cleaner into a sponge. Then wash boat with the sponge adding more kaboom frequently. Then hand wash the boat with soap and water. The hard water spots will be gone and the boat will look spotless. Then finish with a hand wax and a buff to shine her up.

MIskier
09-28-2011, 07:17 PM
After the boat is cleaned on your future outings you need to make up a bottle of 50% white vinegar and 50% water and spray the entire boat down and wipe dry. This will keep the water spots from forming. Hit the boat with a high carnuba content detailer wax every few weeks to keep a good shine on the boat.

Bert
09-28-2011, 09:41 PM
After the boat is cleaned on your future outings you need to make up a bottle of 50% white vinegar and 50% water and spray the entire boat down and wipe dry. This will keep the water spots from forming. Hit the boat with a high carnuba content detailer wax every few weeks to keep a good shine on the boat.
What he said. I have folowed that from day 1 and my 20 year old black MC is often mistaken for new by those that don't know boats.

CantRepeat
09-29-2011, 04:30 AM
Best kept secret in carnauba (http://harlywax.com/HarlyWax/) waxes. It is 100% wax and contains no cleaners.

russlars
09-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Better kept secret is Collonite Fleetwax after a good cleaning with their fiberglass cleaner. One waxing will keep water beading on your hull all season and any scum wipes off easily.

CantRepeat
09-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Better kept secret is Collonite Fleetwax after a good cleaning with their fiberglass cleaner. One waxing will keep water beading on your hull all season and any scum wipes off easily.

Any idea what its made of?

russlars
09-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Any idea what its made of?
Not sure but here is a link to the products I use. http://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/
The 920 cleaner goes on first and then I use the 885 paste wax. It is definitely the longest lasting wax I have ever used.

tommcat
09-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Better kept secret is Collonite Fleetwax after a good cleaning with their fiberglass cleaner. One waxing will keep water beading on your hull all season and any scum wipes off easily.X2. that's even what the guy that just did my gelcoat over uses. best wax i've ever used.
they have some liquid waxes that go on a little easier as well, for those quick jobs.

http://www.collinite.com/

russlars
09-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Just in case you have a hard time finding it locally like I do in my area it is available here: http://www.amazon.com/Collinite-885-COLLINITE-PASTE-FLEETWAX/dp/B002IZFPSW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1317314152&sr=8-5

CantRepeat
09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Not sure but here is a link to the products I use. http://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/
The 920 cleaner goes on first and then I use the 885 paste wax. It is definitely the longest lasting wax I have ever used.

Yeah, I googled it after you posted and read the website. I couldn't find any detailed product info.:(

tommcat
09-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I googled it after you posted and read the website. I couldn't find any detailed product info.:(per the website, it's carnauba

"For the detailer in search of less frequent wax applications, the No. 885 provides the ultimate in Collinite staying power. Provides a shine thatís unmistakably carnauba with durability that rivals even that of leading sealants. Long-lasting protection guards against UV, salt spray, marine growth, stains etc. High luster finish reduces drag by increasing surface sleekness; saving on fuel costs and helping achieve higher speeds on sailboats. Handcrafted and poured in the USA. *Editor's Choice Practical Sailor July 2009, Top Paste Wax Powerboat Reports October 2004, Top Perfromer Powerboat Reports 1994."

sp00ky
09-29-2011, 03:55 PM
However, nothing beats keeping spray cleaner/wax in boat and wiping down after each use. smooth shine always takes multiple applications

CantRepeat
09-29-2011, 04:27 PM
per the website, it's carnauba

"For the detailer in search of less frequent wax applications, the No. 885 provides the ultimate in Collinite staying power. Provides a shine thatís unmistakably carnauba with durability that rivals even that of leading sealants. Long-lasting protection guards against UV, salt spray, marine growth, stains etc. High luster finish reduces drag by increasing surface sleekness; saving on fuel costs and helping achieve higher speeds on sailboats. Handcrafted and poured in the USA. *Editor's Choice Practical Sailor July 2009, Top Paste Wax Powerboat Reports October 2004, Top Perfromer Powerboat Reports 1994."

So it's a combo of carnauba and something else?

tommcat
09-29-2011, 04:58 PM
So it's a combo of carnauba and something else?

dont know the full list of ingredients, i'd say it definitely has carnauba in it but could have other stuff. all i know is that the stuff really works, better than any other i've tried. same goes for their automotive waxes and cleaners.
only downside to the paste wax is it definitely takes some elbow grease. they have a liquid version that goes on much easier but doesnt protect quite as well, although it's still better than most waxes.

93Prostar190
09-29-2011, 11:12 PM
I like hot sauce when I pull the boat out of the water .... Like the babes stuff as well but the hot sauce works great at the end of a boating day ... http://boatbling.net/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

bturner2
09-30-2011, 07:24 AM

Been using Collonite for close to 10 years. Amazing stuff. I use the cleaner once a year then will typically apply the wax 2-3 times throughout the summer (mostly because I like a freshly waxed boat). The stuff is great and if you use the liquid and keep the surface in good shape you can quickly use a buffer to wax the entire boat in about an hour. I know there's a lot of choices out there and everyone has their favorite but this stuff works for me.

Bluccous
07-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Has anyone ever used the Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus paste wax? I just took ownership of an 1985 S&S and I want to make her shine! I have on hand the afore mentioned carnauba wax, some Meguiar's liquid cleaner wax, some Meguiar's ultimate compound color and clarity restorer, a turtle brand scratch repair pen, and Meguiar's ultimate quick detailer spray. My wife bought all of this (she is ready to shine her up and hit the lake) but I am unsure what and in what order I should use any of this?!? The boat is in really good condition with some minor scratches and one or two deeper ones. I have been reading alot of the threads on this topic but it does get confusing. Just looking for some help. I will try to post pics but my computer has been acting crazy lately so who knows if it'll work!

...Nope, it will not work, when I click the paper clip to add images it does NOTHING! I need a new computer :)

....Also, these are automotive waxes that she purchased at wal-mart

orbeamlb
07-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Has anyone ever used the Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus paste wax? I just took ownership of an 1985 S&S and I want to make her shine! I have on hand the afore mentioned carnauba wax, some Meguiar's liquid cleaner wax, some Meguiar's ultimate compound color and clarity restorer, a turtle brand scratch repair pen, and Meguiar's ultimate quick detailer spray. My wife bought all of this (she is ready to shine her up and hit the lake) but I am unsure what and in what order I should use any of this?!? The boat is in really good condition with some minor scratches and one or two deeper ones. I have been reading alot of the threads on this topic but it does get confusing. Just looking for some help. I will try to post pics but my computer has been acting crazy lately so who knows if it'll work!

...Nope, it will not work, when I click the paper clip to add images it does NOTHING! I need a new computer :)

....Also, these are automotive waxes that she purchased at wal-mart

Congrats on your new boat. I've used Meguiars for 30 years on my factory original '81 TA and it still shines like new. Here's my thoughts on some of the products you listed:

The Meguiars Cleaner wax works well for minor oxidation and quick clean up of light scrathes and scuffs.

Their compund/color restorer has more cut and works well on moderate oxidation/scratches/scuffs.

The Ultimate Quick Detailer works good but I found Babes Boat Bright on close out at Walmart for $6 a bottle and gave it a try. The Boat Bright provides great results and holds up much better on the boat than the Quick Detailer.

Haven't tried the Gold Class Carnuba but do use Meguiars #26 Liquid Carnuba and it works as well on the boat as it does on the car.

Use the compound (if needed) first, followed by the cleaner wax to remove swirl marks, finish with the Carnuba, stand back and admire your work.

Bluccous
07-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks!!

cdh11
08-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey guys, for the guys using Collinite, do you use anything between the cleaning and waxing for scratches/swirl marks?

cdh11
08-27-2012, 09:55 PM
anyone?

russlars
08-28-2012, 12:31 AM
I go right from the cleaner to the wax--but then I don't have any swirl marks on my boat!