PDA

View Full Version : RV Antifreeze - how to handle/dispose


GoneBoatN
09-27-2011, 06:38 PM
For those that use RV Antifreeze (propylene glycol). I understand the method of ingesting it into the engine via a 5 gal bucket. My question is there any need recover and dispose of the stuff in some particular manor or can it simply be washed into the street sewer system?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Much better to recover it and dump it in your garage sink, laundry tub or even your toilet. It won't hurt anything going into the sewer system, but it's easy to contain. Use 2 20 gallon storage tubs under the exhaust to catch the RV Antifreeze.

Tomi
10-05-2011, 01:15 AM
No, you should not dispose antifreeze in any sort of sewer or nature. It is toxic and will impact the bacteria used in water purification or even worse, your local lake(s). It can also cause sever ground contamination. Ex here one tunnel construction is seized and now facing tens of millions worth of ground treatment due to glycol buildup from airport. You should see the pictures of the green slime they found in the ground. Granted, much more glycol handled there over the years, but still same effect.

Rather recycle it properly. There must be places where you can take you hazardous stuff to? Same place where you take your old oil? At least here there are several in every county and it is free of charge.

http://www.gov.nu.ca/env/antifreeze.pdf

-Tomi

ctjahn
10-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Much better to recover it and dump it in your garage sink, laundry tub or even your toilet. It won't hurt anything going into the sewer system, but it's easy to contain. Use 2 20 gallon storage tubs under the exhaust to catch the RV Antifreeze.

I thought that was the point of RV Antifreeze. Its reasonably safe in comparison to the automotive stuff...

No?

Cj

Tomi
10-05-2011, 06:27 AM
I am no expert, but ethylene glycol is more toxic but propylene glycol has other similar affects to the environment (high biochemical oxygen demand). It is just no as toxic, naturally decomposing and less harmful for the materials contacted. E.g. that airport example is contamination from propylene glycol (deicing liquid). That EPA document covers both liquids for a reason.

If you are not willing to drink it or bathe in it, I would recycle properly. But that is just me...

GoneBoatN
10-05-2011, 02:49 PM
No, you should not dispose antifreeze in any sort of sewer or nature. It is toxic and will impact the bacteria used in water purification or even worse, your local lake(s). It can also cause sever ground contamination. Ex here one tunnel construction is seized and now facing tens of millions worth of ground treatment due to glycol buildup from airport. You should see the pictures of the green slime they found in the ground. Granted, much more glycol handled there over the years, but still same effect.

Rather recycle it properly. There must be places where you can take you hazardous stuff to? Same place where you take your old oil? At least here there are several in every county and it is free of charge.

http://www.gov.nu.ca/env/antifreeze.pdf

-Tomi

Thanks for the link. I think I will take the recommedation of - "Household quantities of waste antifreeze may be accepted at Household Hazardous Waste Days locations operated by the municipality" - as our locality has a Haz Waste drop off.

What originally got me thinking about this was the Material Safety Data Sheet at http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927239.

This stuff may be safer than ethylene glycol but it is far from no concern. Looks like you need a low PPM for it to be safe so best to dispose of it through a hazardous waste collection.

'78 Starz & Stripes
10-06-2011, 04:45 PM
"Morning Clark, ****ter was full"!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
10-06-2011, 04:50 PM
I thought that was the point of RV Antifreeze. Its reasonably safe in comparison to the automotive stuff...

No?

Cj

I guess there is a difference between safe and reasonably safe.

ctjahn
10-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Point taken. (Didnt realize how toxic even the RV stuff was - I thought it was like the bio-degradable stuff) Will definately contain it and dispose of it with the rest of my antifreeze and oil at the local recycling center next year....

cj

Greatscot
10-07-2011, 12:23 PM
What about the antifreeze that's left in the engine from winterization? If it's toxic enough to need recycling center disposal, shouldn't it also be flushed out of the boat before it's put back in service?

GoneBoatN
10-07-2011, 12:59 PM
For me, I don't leave that much RV antifreeze in the boat. I put a couple gal in each ballast hard tank, swish around and drain out as much as possible capturing in a bucket under the intakes on the bottom of the hull.

For the engine, I did not use RV antifreeze last year but I plan to this year just in case. It has been a rather cool summer. I'm in an area where it doe not really have a problem with freezing. Boat is in the garage and the few times it does drop below freezing it is only for an hour or two; let alone in the garage. This year I will pour a little into the block, heater and shower and again drain as much as possible. Really I don't need to do the block as it would retain the heat for a couple hours to keep from freezing plus my heater and hot water tank are in the garage as well.

This turns out to be exactly how my local dealership does it anyways. They don't have you return to drain as it has already been drained.

Not to say this works for everyone but it works for me.