PDA

View Full Version : Can't Fill My Gas Tank

jamica joe
09-27-2011, 03:53 PM
I help some expert advice... On my 2004 XC90 Volvo it takes 15 - 20 min to fill up the tank. I have tried different stations, different flow rates, positioning of the handle (in, out, twist 90 and 180 degrees... etc.) and the pump continues to shut off. Whats up??? Any ideas???

Thanks,
Joe

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-27-2011, 03:55 PM
There is a flapper valve in tank, that prolly stuck on ya, also the evaporative emissions (charcoal canister) has several solenoid valve that could also act up, is your check engine light on? Last car I worked on with this problem I had to replace the fuel tank assembly.

DeeeJay02
09-27-2011, 04:13 PM
I know on my XStar I had to fill it up on the "halfway" setting on the handle, if I pulled it for the fastest flow it would back-up on me and shut off.....maybe the same thing, try it

jamica joe
09-27-2011, 04:46 PM
There is a flapper valve in tank, that prolly stuck on ya, also the evaporative emissions (charcoal canister) has several solenoid valve that could also act up, is your check engine light on? Last car I worked on with this problem I had to replace the fuel tank assembly.

No, the check engine light is not on. Could it be the vent tube? Any idea cost wise what fuel tank assembly cost to replace?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-27-2011, 04:55 PM
No, the check engine light is not on. Could it be the vent tube? Any idea cost wise what fuel tank assembly cost to replace?

I was just using a general term some mfg call it rollover valve, anti siphon valve etc, either way I suspect that has gone bad, some mfg don't offer tank parts I know nissan, infiniti does not unless they offer a service bulletin for a specific issue, and the whole tank minus the fp needs replacement probably look about 500-600 for a tank probably about 3 hrs to replace, don't quote me exactly some european prices are about as bad as a new mc:D, where in the se are you? Depending on your milage you might have the emissions warranty in effect if its a volvo covered part. 8yr or 80000 miles