PDA

View Full Version : 2012 X55 Engine issues

Gizmo99
09-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Does anyone else out there have a 2012 X55? I just received mine a few weeks ago and I have had issues 3 out of the 5 times I took the boat out. The mechanic is saying that the engine is not cooling correctly which is forcing it to use up all the engine coolant and once that goes it starts smoking. If anyone else has issues with engine overheating please let me know what the end result was. I almost want to return the boat since this is my first experience boating and has not been a good one. The dealer is coming out tomorrow and is supposed to try a few tests to see if they can figure it out. The mechanic that came yesterday could not figure out why the water flow is not starting up unless you rev up over 3500 rpm which seems to start the water cooling process.

any help out there?

sand2snow22
09-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Which engine?

willyt
09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
yikes.. it starts smoking? watch that temperate gauge more carefully.

btw.. the engine should never 'use up' its coolant... in fact the only real 'coolant' we have in the engines is lakewater (unless you have the saltwater series boat or the MV8 6.0, as i believe thats closed-cooling as well).

are we sure the engine/heat exchanger is getting raw water? checked your impeller? scupper? raw water intake ball valve? thermostat? (sounds like a thermostat issue to me, considering you can get it to cool above 3500 rpms')

CLTMC
09-27-2011, 04:02 PM
If the boat is equipped with a fresh water strainer I would check to make sure it is getting adequate flow. You may need to take the fresh water strainer cap off and check the strainer cap seal. At higher RPM’s there should not be any large air bubbles in the fresh water strainer. The cap might need to be twisted or pushed down further for an adequate air tight seal. Check all hose clamp connections, the cooling system might be sucking air from a loose connection. Do you have a new Ilmor OPS engine?
We have run 4 different fresh water cooled 2012 MasterCrafts and have not had any issues to date.
Hope they find the issue soon, interested to hear what the fix was.

Gizmo99
09-27-2011, 04:45 PM
its the Ilmore 6.2 engine. It's not the impeller for sure and I do not think it's the skupper. It is a Salt water series. The issue is that the water is not flowing to cool the engine unless you kinda burp it if you can relate :) I am sure it will be handled and fixed. I just dont want to get stuck out in the ocean with a boat overheating.

gerbzguy
09-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Whatup Gizmo?

I have the Ilmor 5.7 and have the same issue minus the smoking... Mine gets hot shortly after i get it in the water but hasn't ever started smoking. My boat is currently at the dealer getting this resolved. I got a message saying that they are going to order a new pump but haven't heard anything else. Mine is a 2011 X45, but have had the same issue since I picked it up and have talked to others on here that have it happening too.. I will let you know what I find out!

Gizmo99
09-27-2011, 06:03 PM
I think it started smoking from the engine coolant area because it was getting so hot and it was draining it quickly. Keep me posted on your issue and I will do the same.

thanks

toolz
09-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Wow- Sounds like it's getting really hot! I would be very concerned about engine damage. I know it has a warranty, but how many hours did this remove from it's life? Don't let the dealer shrug this off...

GT500 MC
09-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Does anyone else out there have a 2012 X55? I just received mine a few weeks ago and I have had issues 3 out of the 5 times I took the boat out. The mechanic is saying that the engine is not cooling correctly which is forcing it to use up all the engine coolant and once that goes it starts smoking. If anyone else has issues with engine overheating please let me know what the end result was. I almost want to return the boat since this is my first experience boating and has not been a good one. The dealer is coming out tomorrow and is supposed to try a few tests to see if they can figure it out. The mechanic that came yesterday could not figure out why the water flow is not starting up unless you rev up over 3500 rpm which seems to start the water cooling process.

any help out there?

Wow, wish my first experience boating was with a '12 x55. jk. Keep us posted, that does not sound good at all.

Gizmo99
09-28-2011, 08:03 AM
I wonder if there is a way to determine engine life loss? I would think thats something that would be difficult to predict or prove.

@GT....I wanted the best boat available because I wanted zero issues....lol. Who would have thought this would even happen but again I am sure the dealer will work it out. I just wish I could get something in return for the loss of time and aggravation.......not to mention everyone who told me not to buy a boat in the 1st place because they are nothing but problems. I hate having to tell them the boat is not working correctly so I have been avoiding them :)

Alan-S
09-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Seems to me like the cooling system is not being filled properly. If you get any big air bubbles in high spots or the heater core, it can prevent the coolant from circulating properly. PCM started adding "assist" pumps for all closed cooling engines that had Heaters for this reason. I am sure the Ilmor guys will get it straightened out. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

bartman
09-28-2011, 05:38 PM
I wonder if there is a way to determine engine life loss? I would think thats something that would be difficult to predict or prove.

@GT....I wanted the best boat available because I wanted zero issues....lol. Who would have thought this would even happen but again I am sure the dealer will work it out. I just wish I could get something in return for the loss of time and aggravation.......not to mention everyone who told me not to buy a boat in the 1st place because they are nothing but problems. I hate having to tell them the boat is not working correctly so I have been avoiding them :)

The only thing I tell those guys who tell me about throwing money away on a boat is that their invitation to join me just got delayed by about 3 months... That usually shuts them up!

Gizmo99
10-02-2011, 07:44 AM
They replaced the flush valve and the boat ran for 1 day with no issues. Next day went out and within 15 min engine temp overheated again. Replaced impeller and added coolant yesterday. Hopefully this will not continue. I am not sure how many more issues I will stand for before I simply return the boat. You would think MC or dealers would do something in order to get the bad taste of MC out of my mouth. Take $10k off the price or something. Do you think I would go and promote a MC boat after this experience....at the moment..no way. Maybe renting a boat from time to time would have been the best route.

Gizmo99
10-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Turns out that Ilmore has a flaw with the new engine for the X55. I was told they need to install a pump in order to burp the water cooler line. I have a feeling a recall will be happening soon. I will be testing the boat out the next few days to see if the issue is still there. Lets hope not :)

mikeg205
10-15-2011, 12:54 PM
The head gasket really takes a beating when the engine over heats...not to be an alarmist...but check this thread.../

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44049&highlight=1008

if it was smoking...the only way to check is to take a look at everything... A good look into the cylinder heads with a scope would be a good idea as well as a view thru the cooling channels...

cooling way to critical in these high performance, hi load, hi rpm engines....especially if manufacturer found a defect...